Cycle bag / box on Air Asia

lowprofile

Does anyone have "recent" experience of Air Asia travel with a cycle? I'm getting conflicting information about allowances.

The web site states that cycles are "sports equipment" and normal baggage allowances do not apply - charging extra for it but some people I've talked to say they had no problem with either a bag or box when checking in.

Don't want to get stung at check-in!

Cheers

LP

I have not put a bike on Air Asia for a couple of years and then they managed destroy the box and bash the bike up which luckily just resulted in scratches.

I was on their website last night looking at a trip to Hat Yai with a bike. My understanding was you prebook the sporting good charge at whatever weight 15kg ,20 ,25 etc . I was planning to stuff my panniers in the bike box, clothes , tools everything into one package. Then I could book the flight with no regular baggage allowance and use the 7kg hand luggage for my valuables and fragile stuff. The prices are very reasonable so I would just pay up and select the correct weights.

I travel regularly with my folding recumbent as sports equipment at the fixed price. Last year I checked a disassembled trike wrapped in plastic, also at the fixed price. It arrived without issue, due, in part I believe, because it was clearly visible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My experience is identical to the posts above. You pay in advance for a better price. Last time I flew Air Asia with a bike was a year ago but over the years I've had 20 flights with them. They charge you for everything and I've never gotten away without paying. And as CNXBKKMAn said, buy enough sports equipment allowance so you can pack everything in your bike case and won't need to buy additional baggage. it's a reasonable fee that way.

Thanks,

problem is, I bought 25Kg of regular allowance - not seeing a "sporting allowance" option, when I bought the ticket online. Now I can't find anywhere on the site to actually buy the "sporting" version. There are plenty of references as to being able to do it but I'm bug*ered if I can find it!

On 4/24/2017 at 8:31 AM, lowprofile said:

Thanks,

problem is, I bought 25Kg of regular allowance - not seeing a "sporting allowance" option, when I bought the ticket online. Now I can't find anywhere on the site to actually buy the "sporting" version. There are plenty of references as to being able to do it but I'm bug*ered if I can find it!

I've only booked my bike when making my initial reservation when it always came up as an option before payment. That may have changed. If you go to "Manage My Booking" there should be an easy to find option to pre-book sporting equipment.