Bank of England meeting 'key' to baht's value

webfact

On 5/8/2017 at 3:46 PM, CelticBhoy said:

Don't understand a word of that, but please get us 60+ Baht to the quid again   . . . . or more if you like!

Looking at the price for a cold can of coke from the fridge.... 28 baht for a pound sounds okay to me... though I'm still not sure I'd be interested to holiday in the UK if it went down to 14 baht :P

20 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Oops and apologies, I've just realised I didn't. I must have transferred the cash the previous year in order to have had 55 fortunately it was enough to cover a couple of years expenditure, including some major purchases.

Accepted. The only reason I know for sure is that at the start of the week of the Brexit vote I transferred some money. Fortunately for me my bank made a mistake and only transferred 10% of my money (50THB/GBBP) and after contacting them they transferred the rest FOC and it arrived at the peak just prior to the Brexit result (52THB/GBP).

On 09/05/2017 at 0:41 PM, elgordo38 said:

3% for 10 years I will expire before the maturity date. 10 years could be a lifetime in today's financial markets. 

Don't forget bonds are liquid investments. There is no requirement to hold till maturity.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Don't forget bonds are liquid investments. There is no requirement to hold till maturity.

Yes I have held "government" bonds in the past at supposedly good rates of interest. Upon selling even after collecting the interest I seemed to have lost money. Buy gold

7 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes I have held "government" bonds in the past at supposedly good rates of interest. Upon selling even after collecting the interest I seemed to have lost money. Buy gold

I assume you bought during a period in which interest rates were lower than during the period when you sold. Either that, or you paid hefty broker fees.

Gold is considered a safe haven investment when you feel returns cannot be found elsewhere as there is no income earned for holding gold (only potential for capital growth (or loss)).

I chose not to hold gold.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, the BoE meeting has taken place. 7-1 vote to hold interest rates plus a warning on weak British wages. The result is a small drop in the value of the pound.

42 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Unless I missed something the OP should have read BOT not BOE but who knows, the idea that the BOE MMPC meeting could influence the value of THB doesn't make sense to me.

Read the whole thread. This was explained earlier. BoE was correct.

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Read the whole thread. This was explained earlier. BoE was correct.

I've read it twice and I've re-read the OP, it's too silly to even contemplate that the MMPC would increase rates now hence it's a non-event by a long way!