Foreign investors remain confident of Thailand’s economic potential

webfact

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

When these articles talk about foreign direct investment in Thailand, I really don't think they are referring to people wanting to open businesses here. I'm pretty certain they are referring to the large scale investment in bonds and the SET by intentional brokers, investment houses and banks - I also think any direct investment by business is restricted solely to multinationals, I honestly don't think their is any interest on the part of governement to attract SME's, small start ups, entrepreneurs, husband wife teams and such like, it's a totally different scale and league from what is being discussed.

Sadly, yes you are right.  And we should distinguish 'hot money' from real investment in industry.  It's the latter that I would have thought is most important, and I would guess it is this figure which is also dragging. 

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

When these articles talk about foreign direct investment in Thailand, I really don't think they are referring to people wanting to open businesses here. I'm pretty certain they are referring to the large scale investment in bonds and the SET by intentional brokers, investment houses and banks - I also think any direct investment by business is restricted solely to multinationals, I honestly don't think their is any interest on the part of governement to attract SME's, small start ups, entrepreneurs, husband wife teams and such like, it's a totally different scale and league from what is being discussed.

Guess you are right.

Capital flows as investment have the unpredictable nature that they can quickly flow in and can just as quickly drain off again.

While investments in production sites, machinery and workplaces do not allow for the possibility of immediate capital outflows. 

Trust in a location for investment is expressed in long-term real investments.

And the possibilities for such real investments are problematic for SMEs here. Even the JFCCT comes to this conclusion. 

Investors are torn between the allure of slave-like working conditions and lack of health/safety standard enforcement on the one hand and the capricious, vindictive government with absolute power on the other who has traded any hopes of long-term stability for a short-term band-aid.

They battled hard and heavy the last two years to go from 14th in the world for ease of doing business for foreigners to 46th..... According to the World Bank. This country flushed the big bowl.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

They battled hard and heavy the last two years to go from 14th in the world for ease of doing business for foreigners to 46th..... According to the World Bank. This country flushed the big bowl.

If this fact is correct, then we need look no further for an explanation.

14 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

If this fact is correct, then we need look no further for an explanation.

The quoted statistics are indeed true but I'm certain it wasn't intentional, more a shot to the foot kind of action.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, simoh1490 said:

If you can show us where and how BOT has been doing that  it would be great, that old chestnut has been around for years without even so much as one satang of evidence.

And can you show us proof they haven’t been doing that? :unsure:How would any of us know at the moment what exactly central banks everywhere are getting up to these days to shore up the appearance of normality ?

The Financial Times last week did show the Bank of Japan (BoJ) was a Top 10 holder in 90% of Japanese stocks and in 2016 In was the biggest buyer of Japanese stocks. And now the real "whale" of the Japanese markets is stepping up its buying up over 70% YoY entering the market on down days more than half the time in the last four years. Of the 1,038 business days between April 2013 and March 2017 there were 449 sessions where the market was down: the BoJ bought on more than half of them.

So easy-just print the money and buy the stocks and what can possibly go wrong?:giggle:

How do you know similar kind of behaviour is occurring here in Thailand behind the scenes ?

https://www.ft.com/content/bf988378-2f16-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a

Edited by midas

Just now, midas said:

And can you show us proof they haven’t been doing that? :unsure:How would any of us know at the moment what exactly central banks everywhere are getting up to these days to shore up the appearance of normality ?

The Financial Times last week did show the Bank of Japan (BoJ) was a Top 10 holder in 90% of Japanese stocks and in 2016 In was the biggest buyer of Japanese stocks. And now the real "whale" of the Japanese markets is stepping up its buying up over 70% YoY entering the market on down days more than half the time in the last four years. Of the 1,038 business days between April 2013 and March 2017 there were 449 sessions where the market was down: the BoJ bought on more than half of them.

How do you know similar kind of behaviour is occurring here in Thailand behind the scenes ?

https://www.ft.com/content/bf988378-2f16-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a

Big sigh!

If Thailand wanted to influence the value of THB they would have to either sell THB and buy USD in order to weaken THB, or, sell USD and buy THB in order to strengthen THB - given that THB has strengthend of late we can only assume the conspiracy theory involves the latter. That being true BOT would have to have access to large amounts of USD, foreign currency reserves perhaps? If that is the plot, please show us where foreign currency reserves, BOT's holdings of USD, has fallen in order to make the necessary trades!

http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG

On 5/10/2017 at 8:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

That 78% drop refers to 2015, it's now two years later!

Really Midas, I might have expected as much from you!!

And what has changed since 2015?

5 minutes ago, midas said:

And what has changed since 2015?

Not much by way of you supplying supportive evidence to support your wild notions!

Look, if you want to put up your theories, supply CURRENT supportive references and then we'll talk about them. But don't put up a 3 year old news article and use it as a basis for arguing today's economic position and don't turn it around by asking your readers to explain why it's not what you say it is based on that old copy!