Thai Clock

Lelipad

can somebody explain me the Thai Clock and why is it so different from ours ?

Thank you

Are you referring to the way they tell time? If that is the case probably need to move to Thai Language forum. The clocks are the same. So let us know what you are asking more specifically.

I assume you mean the system for telling time? If so, this has been discussed at length in the Thai Language forum before, I will see if I can dig up the thread for you.

Short summary:

The old system for telling time was based on the watches in the temple, and thus divided into four watch periods. Different types of drums were used to indicate the time, and the suffixes 'dtii' (used after times from 1 AM to 5 AM) and 'thum' (used after times from 7 PM to 11 PM) are sound imitations of the drum used.

Starting from the early morning

6 hok moong chaao

7 jet moong chaao (or just 'moong chaao')

8 bpaed moong chaao (or 'sawng moong chaao' i.e. 2 hours morning)

9 gaao moong (usually no 'moong chaao' after this one)

10 sip moong (usually no additional description after this either)

11 sip et moong

12 thiang (wan)

1 PM baay (neung) moong (usually 'neung' is ommitted)

2 PM baay sawng (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

3 PM baay saam (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

4 PM sii moong yen ('yen' means cool and refers to the slightly cooler period of the day when the sun begins to set)

5 PM haa moong yen

6 PM hok moong yen

7 PM (neung) thum

8 PM sawng thum

9 PM saam thum

10 PM sii thum

11 PM haa thum

00.00 thiang kheun (kheun means 'night')

1 AM dtii neung

2 AM dtii sawng

3 AM dtii saam

4 AM dtii sii

5 AM dtii haa

1-5 AM are often referred to as 'dtawn chaao meud' (the dark part of the morning).

To further complicate this, the list I compiled above does not apply 100% for Southern Thailand, Isaan and the North. They all have slightly different systems from this one.

Here is a link to the most complete discussion we've had about time on the forum so far. A word of warning though, it might just make you more confused: :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=telling+time

Very nice summary Meadish. Will add that sometimes the 24 hour clock is used to eliminate ambiguity. Such as sip sahm naligah = 1 oclock in the PM while neung naligah is one in the morning. sip sahm naliga sahm sip nahtee = 1:30 PM.

I assume you mean the system for telling time? If so, this has been discussed at length in the Thai Language forum before, I will see if I can dig up the thread for you.

Short summary:

The old system for telling time was based on the watches in the temple, and thus divided into four watch periods. Different types of drums were used to indicate the time, and the suffixes 'dtii' (used after times from 1 AM to 5 AM) and 'thum' (used after times from 7 PM to 11 PM) are sound imitations of the drum used.

Starting from the early morning

6 hok moong chaao

7 jet moong chaao (or just 'moong chaao')

8 bpaed moong chaao (or 'sawng moong chaao' i.e. 2 hours morning)

9 gaao moong (usually no 'moong chaao' after this one)

10 sip moong (usually no additional description after this either)

11 sip et moong

12 thiang (wan)

1 PM baay (neung) moong (usually 'neung' is ommitted)

2 PM baay sawng (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

3 PM baay saam (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

4 PM sii moong yen ('yen' means cool and refers to the slightly cooler period of the day when the sun begins to set)

5 PM haa moong yen

6 PM hok moong yen

7 PM (neung) thum

8 PM sawng thum

9 PM saam thum

10 PM sii thum

11 PM haa thum

00.00 thiang kheun (kheun means 'night')

1 AM dtii neung

2 AM dtii sawng

3 AM dtii saam

4 AM dtii sii

5 AM dtii haa

1-5 AM are often referred to as 'dtawn chaao meud' (the dark part of the morning).

To further complicate this, the list I compiled above does not apply 100% for Southern Thailand, Isaan and the North. They all have slightly different systems from this one.

Here is a link to the most complete discussion we've had about time on the forum so far. A word of warning though, it might just make you more confused: :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=telling+time