Land Transport Department determined to enforce stricter road safety measures

webfact

11 hours ago, NormanW said:

They should enforce the plethora of red light jumpers. But they won't. 

It's a national pastime!

Truly depressing. 

They are installing many red light cameras and sending automatic tickets in the mail, so you better have a legit address or you will be arrested at some point for not paying tickets.  Also many cameras being installed at crossovers ticketing for going the wrong way. Speeding cameras too.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just more bullshit to baffle what few brains are out there.  Today i made a 26 klick return journey into town and counted 9 pick-ups with people in the back, two heavily overloaded Trucks, two buses with bald tyres, numerous people driving the wrong way down roads, countless people jumping red lights and Motocycles galore riding on pavements.   Plenty of Policemen around doing sweet FA about any of it.

If things don't change they will stay the same....and it's guaranteed to stay the same !

13 minutes ago, Grubster said:

They are installing many red light cameras and sending automatic tickets in the mail, so you better have a legit address or you will be arrested at some point for not paying tickets.  Also many cameras being installed at crossovers ticketing for going the wrong way. Speeding cameras too.

In BKK or?

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

Just followed a pick-up with 7 people in the back. Wasn't that going to be 'enforced' after Songkran???

I can't see how they can enforce it,  millions would have to quit their jobs or quit going to school. There are a lot of very poor people here that have no other means of transportation than to ride with a neighbor etc.

2 minutes ago, NormanW said:

In BKK or?

I live near Sakon Nakhon and we have them here, I know they had speed cameras on the ring road in Bangkok five years ago as I was blessed with a ticket from one of those. My friend here just got two red light tickets in the mail but the picture clearly shows the light is yellow, he still had to pay them.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I live near Sakon Nakhon and we have them here, I know they had speed cameras on the ring road in Bangkok five years ago as I was blessed with a ticket from one of those. My friend here just got two red light tickets in the mail but the picture clearly shows the light is yellow, he still had to pay them.

Thats your luck 

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

Amber and still had to pay. Nothing shocks me here anymore!

The big question is "When will things improve in this country?"

12 hours ago, retarius said:

Until someone finds a way to make the police actually do their job and enforce the traffic laws all are doomed to fail. The crackdown syndrome which afflicts our police is an instant end to effective upholding of the law. Police should enforce all the laws, all of the time; as opposed to the current scenario of one of the laws, once in a while.

Until someone finds a real police officer who is actually trained as a police officer and has ethical values of a police officer we are all vulnerable.

One of the many things is for people to earn a decent wage and live more comfortably and therefore have the ability to pay some sort of income tax and then if the correct people are in power spend wisely on the infrastructure etc. 

20 years down the line everyone will see a difference. 

For me it ought to start at school with a proper educational system however that's for another discussion ?

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

Amber and still had to pay. Nothing shocks me here anymore!

The big question is "When will things improve in this country?"

I kind of hope they don't,  I came here because I don't like many of our sterile ways of life in the west. Don't get me wrong I love my country but this is a refreshing change of pace six months a year. I wouldn't be here if Thais had all the same rules and regulations we have back home. It can be dangerous like anything else one might do to have fun.

35 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I kind of hope they don't,  I came here because I don't like many of our sterile ways of life in the west. Don't get me wrong I love my country but this is a refreshing change of pace six months a year. I wouldn't be here if Thais had all the same rules and regulations we have back home. It can be dangerous like anything else one might do to have fun.

I know what you mean but a little safer wouldn't be too much to ask rather than leaving things to chance at say, each set of traffic lights or junction.

17 hours ago, Grubster said:

25,000 - 30,000 fatalities a year, you certainly know how to have fun

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

25,000 - 30,000 fatalities a year, you certainly know how to have fun

I guess I don't understand why westerners come here if they don't like Thailand, I come here because its fun and a lot cheaper than back home. If Thailand gets all the same rules and regulations that we love back home it will no longer be fun or cheap.

15 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I guess I don't understand why westerners come here if they don't like Thailand, I come here because its fun and a lot cheaper than back home. If Thailand gets all the same rules and regulations that we love back home it will no longer be fun or cheap.

Well you are certainly not on your own there

My experience with some Asians, well those that speak a reasonable amount of English has been that they equate cheap with nasty not inexpensive, hence I stopped using that word in that context many years ago

This is not meant as criticism of you, off topic I know but its thrown in just for a bit of light relief

Stay lucky when you are out and about

Edited by oldlakey

22 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I understand then that you are happy to sacrifice all those killed and injured, and persecuted, and 'robbed' of education and basic human rights in order to justify why Thailand should never have any resemblance to where you came from? I think you are a very selfish person, to put it lightly.

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I understand then that you are happy to sacrifice all those killed and injured, and persecuted, and 'robbed' of education and basic human rights in order to justify why Thailand should never have any resemblance to where you came from? I think you are a very selfish person, to put it lightly.

Well I hate to be the bringer of bad news but The west sacrifices millions more with all their arms sales and wars. I don't want to sacrifice anybody. I just want to live, be free and happy. If Thailand gets to regulated for me I will move on. I do not believe in regulations to protect me from myself like seat belt laws and never will.

36 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Well I hate to be the bringer of bad news but The west sacrifices millions more with all their arms sales and wars. I don't want to sacrifice anybody. I just want to live, be free and happy. If Thailand gets to regulated for me I will move on. I do not believe in regulations to protect me from myself like seat belt laws and never will.

The first sentence is a really discredited piece of excuse-making. What the west does is not a reason for what Thais do, and I wish people would stop saying it is, because the whole argument is redundant and just a little illiterate.

Here's a little exercise in exploring your own psyche, I'm sure there are lots more.

If you heard that the new suits in Pattaya were made from human skins, and worse, were made after Cambodian workers had been rounded up, kidnapped  and euthanazed for their skins

Would you still come for your nice visits to nice Thailand? Maybe not. What will have happened is that a threshold of tolerance had been passed for you. So the argument is no longer absolute and about morality, it's about convenience and pleasure. Tolerance is based on data (proof: if you heard that 3000 Cambodians had been killed, you would (hopefully) be outraged. What if it was only one and he was affected by cerebral palsy and the government had compensated the family? Would that affect your tolerance? No? how about if he was American? Would that affect your tolerance? How about if the Thai authorities claimed that all of those euthanazed were Thais and had volunteered for a payment of 1 million baht paid to the family? How about now?

Let's be honest, everyone is prepared to accept a certain amount of immorality so long as it doesn't impede their enjoyment of what else they can have to take their mind of the moral concerns they unconsciously know they should be observing. That's why they feel conflicted and have to come on TV to protest why their tolerance is actually OK and not repugnant. My acceptance level is just different from yours. I detest what Thais do (in the round) and how they do it. You don't. That's OK, we have different levels of tolerance. Which is fair enough, just don't come on here and tell us all how your level of tolerance is better and more enlightened than mine. Which is exactly the effect of what you have written.

And as to the last point, let's be honest, you don't care if laws restrict you, you care if laws impede your enjoyment. If they do you'll move on to pastures greener and laws less enlightened. Good luck because the world is changing faster than I think you realise. And if you think that Thais don't sneer at, exploit and denigrate other nationalities then you have your head up your bottom. This is whay Thais are disliked throughout SE Asia, and why they are not trusted in UK, USA EU etc etc. If you think they don't laugh and sneer at you behind your back just after waiíng you, then you must live in a bubble. Evert time a Thai lies to you and you accept it, or steals from you or cheats you, confirms in their mind how much smarter and more superior they are to you.

Thais have no respect for people they don't have a personal relationship of some kind with. And the personal relationship is usually based on favours owed or money paid. Any relationship or 'connection' you might feel exists at the time of conversing with a Thai ends when you turn around and they start shaking their head at how stupid the foreigners are. Test it, go ahead, learn about body language; learn about facial micro-expressions, try to intuitivly understand what they are actually feeling rather than what they might be saying at the time. Then turn around sharply after they've wai'ed. See what they're doing. And cringe in embarrassment when you see it.

Edited by Trumpish

Morality (and not mortality!) in all of this.....hire a full time driver paid the regular local wage to drive your ride!!!...

And remember to always sit in the back...golden rule with staff anywhere in the world, never to get to friendly or close!!

18 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

The first sentence is a really discredited piece of excuse-making. What the west does is not a reason for what Thais do, and I wish people would stop saying it is, because the whole argument is redundant and just a little illiterate.

Here's a little exercise in exploring your own psyche, I'm sure there are lots more.

If you heard that the new suits in Pattaya were made from human skins, and worse, were made after Cambodian workers had been rounded up, kidnapped  and euthanazed for their skins

Would you still come for your nice visits to nice Thailand? Maybe not. What will have happened is that a threshold of tolerance had been passed for you. So the argument is no longer absolute and about morality, it's about convenience and pleasure. Tolerance is based on data (proof: if you heard that 3000 Cambodians had been killed, you would (hopefully) be outraged. What if it was only one and he was affected by cerebral palsy and the government had compensated the family? Would that affect your tolerance? No? how about if he was American? Would that affect your tolerance? How about if the Thai authorities claimed that all of those euthanazed were Thais and had volunteered for a payment of 1 million baht paid to the family? How about now?

Let's be honest, everyone is prepared to accept a certain amount of immorality so long as it doesn't impede their enjoyment of what else they can have to take their mind of the moral concerns they unconsciously know they should be observing. That's why they feel conflicted and have to come on TV to protest why their tolerance is actually OK and not repugnant. My acceptance level is just different from yours. I detest what Thais do (in the round) and how they do it. You don't. That's OK, we have different levels of tolerance. Which is fair enough, just don't come on here and tell us all how your level of tolerance is better and more enlightened than mine. Which is exactly the effect of what you have written.

And as to the last point, let's be honest, you don't care if laws restrict you, you care if laws impede your enjoyment. If they do you'll move on to pastures greener and laws less enlightened. Good luck because the world is changing faster than I think you realise. And if you think that Thais don't sneer at, exploit and denigrate other nationalities then you have your head up your bottom. This is whay Thais are disliked throughout SE Asia, and why they are not trusted in UK, USA EU etc etc. If you think they don't laugh and sneer at you behind your back just after waiíng you, then you must live in a bubble. Evert time a Thai lies to you and you accept it, or steals from you or cheats you, confirms in their mind how much smarter and more superior they are to you.

Thais have no respect for people they don't have a personal relationship of some kind with. And the personal relationship is usually based on favours owed or money paid. Any relationship or 'connection' you might feel exists at the time of conversing with a Thai ends when you turn around and they start shaking their head at how stupid the foreigners are. Test it, go ahead, learn about body language; learn about facial micro-expressions, try to intuitivly understand what they are actually feeling rather than what they might be saying at the time. Then turn around sharply after they've wai'ed. See what they're doing. And cringe in embarrassment when you see it.

WOW :  I recommend you go somewhere that you are loved man, you need a break.  Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

What a load of waffle. You can't factually generalize about Thais or any other nationality.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

What a load of waffle. You can't factually generalize about Thais or any other nationality.

No? Really? OK. You don't even generalise about Aussies? I'll bet you do. Hypocrite.

How do I know? Because it's human nature, it's how we adapt to the world. If you didn't believe that each nationality can be generalised, and if you didn't want people to make assumptions about you, then I doubt you'd have the word 'Kiwi' in your moniker.

Edited by Trumpish

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

WOW :  I recommend you go somewhere that you are loved man, you need a break.  Good luck.

Yes, I expected much the same as this. But I do notice you don't say where you thinks it's wrong. That's harder I suppose.

Edited by Trumpish

• 3 weeks later...

In fact if you dig deep you find that Thailand does have many regulations that mirror those in your home country, but it's the policing that doesn't happen.
Now come on, 'fess up, you came here to 'interact' with Thai women didn't you?
Rules, regulations, policing, whatever, the women are still gonna be fun!