Opening A Thai Bank Account

Hi, I am sorry if I am going over old stuff here, but I have searched and cant seem to get the info I need. Could anyone advise me which / any mainstream banks are providing bank accounts to non nationals. I have a non imm O visa.

Many Thanks

Dunez

Hi, I am sorry if I am going over old stuff here, but I have searched and cant seem to get the info I need. Could anyone advise me which / any mainstream banks are providing bank accounts to non nationals. I have a non imm O visa.

Many Thanks

Dunez

Siam Commercial, Kasikorn Bank, start with these two and just keep going to different branches until there is a no-hassle opening procedure.

Take your passport as ID, and open a savings account, you will receive a passbook and cash card.

Go first thing in the morning, look presentable, and you should not have a problem.

If a branch starts being funny, asking for business visa, or certificate of residence etc. etc. just move on to another bank branch.

All in all: Dead easy!

I opened my account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai on June 15th. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. All they wanted to see was my passport and my opening deposit. Also, I have interest credited on a regular basis. However since I live in Chiang Kham I get a 10 baht surcharge every time I use the ATM here. I am on a non-imm O-A visa.

Edited by DFCarlson

Many Thanks

Dunez

Bangkok Bank on Silom (the main branch) no problems

I was just there today. Before that I had gone to the Bangkok Bank branch on Nana Nua, soi three. I needed a second account (I already have an account with Kasikorn Bank). I was applying with a non-immigrant ED visa which is a one year renewable visa.

First, the officer said I must have a work permit. I told her all I had was a student visa and a student ID card. She then said I must get a letter from my university certifying that I study there. I said ok, and that I would do that. Just for the sake of trying, I went down to the main Silom branch and they initially said the same, but then decided to give me the account because I had the ED visa and student ID card. This is just a simple savings account. According to them, there is a strict rule that the government has put into place that foreigners must have a work permit (or other acceptable visa) to get any kind of bank account. I'm assuming a retirement visa would also qualify. I would say that they are closing the door on people with only tourist visas, so if one needs an account, best get it as soon as possible.

Edited by mbkudu

I was just there today. Before that I had gone to the Bangkok Bank branch on Nana Nua, soi three. I needed a second account (I already have an account with Kasikorn Bank). I was applying with a non-immigrant ED visa which is a one year renewable visa.

First, the officer said I must have a work permit. I told her all I had was a student visa and a student ID card. She then said I must get a letter from my university certifying that I study there. I said ok, and that I would do that. Just for the sake of trying, I went down to the main Silom branch and they initially said the same, but then decided to give me the account because I had the ED visa and student ID card. This is just a simple savings account. According to them, there is a strict rule that the government has put into place that foreigners must have a work permit (or other acceptable visa) to get any kind of bank account. I'm assuming a retirement visa would also qualify. I would say that they are closing the door on people with only tourist visas, so if one needs an account, best get it as soon as possible.

I was told exactly the same thing just five or six weeks ago, so I just want to back up those comments with factual evidence. Yes, I know different branches and banks have different rules and sooner or later you should be able to find a bank that will help you out, BUT it does seem to be getting a bit more difficult to open a new account here if you only have a tourist visa.