Major hassle transferring bike ownership

Kenny202

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, you can get it in one hour at Jomtien.

People are complaining about having to wait 2 weeks to get the 'letter' in some offices - Chiang Mai, for example. 

" In Chiang Mai it now takes at least 2 weeks and normally longer to get the letter."

"When I returned to Chiang Mai in April I obtained the "letter" after almost 3 weeks because of national holiday holidays."

Your reply suggests that you either haven't read the thread, or don't understand the posts. :wai:

Just now, Happy Grumpy said:

People are complaining about having to wait 2 weeks to get the 'letter' in some offices - Chiang Mai, for example. 

" In Chiang Mai it now takes at least 2 weeks and normally longer to get the letter."

"When I returned to Chiang Mai in April I obtained the "letter" after almost 3 weeks because of national holiday holidays."

Your reply suggests that you either haven't read the thread, or don't understand the posts. :wai:

Take it to the Chiang Mai forum.

1 hour ago, Issanman said:

How long does it take for the letter to be considered out of date by DLT?

The letter is valid until the 'end of the permission to stay' date. However different DLT offices may have stricter limits.

14 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

People can always get the 'letter', which is a Certificate of Residence, from their embassy.

It is usually 1,000-3,500thb depending on your embassy (guess which end of the scale the British Embassy is.)

You get it in 1-3 days, no bollocking about.

Yeah, I always get mine from my embassy, some extra cost but quick and easy and I'm allergic to Immigration Offices. :biggrin:

Quite a few immigration offices refuse to give them, or drag their feet etc.

Contact your embassy if you want a quick and easy Certificate of Residence (what is being called 'The Letter' in this thread) without leaving your home. :smile:

54 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

However different DLT offices may have stricter limits.

Or less.

Or none.

Not even every office, every employee in the same office can have their own rules haha.

Dress well, present yourself well, can you speak Thai and act politely? 

5 hours ago, DLang said:

every employee in the same office can have their own rules haha.

Dress well, present yourself well, can you speak Thai and act politely? 

Absolutely.

Often it comes down to poor staff training, a staff member being lazy or wanting to be difficult, or quite often it is the state of the farang applying.

If 5,000 or 10,000 Westerners per year have no problem getting something done, and one does, it kinda indicates when one of those was the issue. 

On 7/20/2017 at 1:11 PM, Briggsy said:

2 months. Still heard nothing.

Just a tip for dealing with Thais and getting things done.

You seem quite indignant, intolerant, defensive and a bit angry about what they are/aren't doing.

This won't won't get you anywhere when dealing with Thais, it certainly won't get them working in your favor.

It's probably why you have so many problems getting things done, that get you even more angry, and others don't have any problems. 

If one "lives" here. Get a farang ID card. Available at any local area government office.  I.E. Address in Klong Toey district go to Klong Toey government office. You probably still need the same documents but once you do it, it is good for a while. 

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Just a tip for dealing with Thais and getting things done.

You seem quite indignant, intolerant, defensive and a bit angry about what they are/aren't doing.

This won't won't get you anywhere when dealing with Thais, it certainly won't get them working in your favor.

It's probably why you have so many problems getting things done, that get you even more angry, and others don't have any problems. 

LOL. So wrong. All sorted now. Take it to the Chiang Mai forum. That's where all the grumpy folks hang out. You will like it there.

I know what you mean.  In Chiang Mai it now takes at least 2 weeks and normally longer to get the letter. This is what happened to me;-

"
I am writing for advice as to how to complete the registration of a car in Chiang Mai. I purchased a car in February from a UK citizen but because immigration at Chiang Mai takes at least 2 weeks for the letter of residency could not register the car before my return to the UK. My time is divided between Thailand and the UK. All of the sale and purchase documents are dated on the day of sale.

When I returned to Chiang Mai in April I obtained the "letter" after almost 3 weeks because of national holiday holidays.

I followed the procedure to register and Change the car at DLT  Chiang Mai from Bangkok, paid the tax and was given a date to collect the new plates which was the day after I returned yet again to the UK.

My friend went to collect the plates. He was told that as the vendors visa was now out of date I would need to get a copy of his new visa or a certified letter of sale. I contacted the seller who is now back in the UK and he has refused  either of these things saying I acted in a "mai pen rai " manner in not registering the car also saying that the "letter" is issued same day. This is not the case.

Any advice from members would be gratefully received. Oh and and I am still in the UK until 5th July."

The car remains unregistered wit a desperate owner.

Wow Chang Mai seems very difficult, Pattaya , jontiem , I have had to get letter of residence 3 times in the last few months for different reasons , no more than 15 minutes each time , you need the correct BS though .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Price at Jomtien gone up again ?
It was 300 baht just a while ago
Its supposed to be free....and is if you want to wait 2 weeks then when your turn up to collect ohh sorry the official who has to sign it is on holiday or sick so come back in another 2 weeks etc
Seems at least one person posting on this thread might have insisted it was free and got the run around [emoji14]

It's called Farang tax . Many things are free here but if you don't pay the farang tax , all of a sudden , sorry no understand English , or my boss has to do that , next week , or sorry lost the paperwork, or a host of other reasons, pay and everything becomes easy .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 26/07/2017 at 8:56 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

People can always get the 'letter', which is a Certificate of Residence, from their embassy.

It is usually 1,000-3,500thb depending on your embassy (guess which end of the scale the British Embassy is.)

You get it in 1-3 days, no bollocking about.

Very efficient in my experience, they told me to go and have a coffee after paying and it will be ready  when you come back.... 

2000-3500 for a piece of MO-FOin paper :sad:

I change vehicles pretty often so all those 3k papers add up.

Now I let my wife put them in her name

The greatest robbery is they no longer take a colour copy which worked in the past so If I'm. Upgrading from a ninja650 to  z1000 I need one to sell the 650 and ANOTHER one to register the z1000 because the one that was used once can't be used twice even within the same 30days validity according to chatujak dlt

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

Very efficient in my experience, they told me to go and have a coffee after paying and it will be ready  when you come back.... 

2000-3500 for a piece of MO-FOin paper :sad:

I change vehicles pretty often so all those 3k papers add up.

Now I let my wife put them in her name

The greatest robbery is they no longer take a colour copy which worked in the past so If I'm. Upgrading from a ninja650 to  z1000 I need one to sell the 650 and ANOTHER one to register the z1000 because the one that was used once can't be used twice even within the same 30days validity according to chatujak dlt

300 Baht and 15 minutes at Jomtien. You will require a Chonburi address though and your vehicles would be registered at that Chonburi address which may be of no use to you.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

300 Baht and 15 minutes at Jomtien. You will require a Chonburi address though and your vehicles would be registered at that Chonburi address which may be of no use to you.

They do the same service at bkk immigration, 

Bring your passport and a phone bill or something and they will make you a letter

Its just inconvenient location to get to some days compared to the embassies in city centre 

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

They do the same service at bkk immigration, 

Bring your passport and a phone bill or something and they will make you a letter

Its just inconvenient location to get to some days compared to the embassies in city centre 

Being on an Extension of Temporary Stay is also usually a require at chaeng Wattana (and other) immigration office. 

2 mates went to get them together, One on a Multi-Entry Non O based on marriage, one on a marriage extension, they only allowed the one with the extension from that office to get one. 

I don't even go to the embassy. Just email them, post them the money, and get the Cert. of Residence mailed to me. 

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Being on an Extension of Temporary Stay is also usually a require at chaeng Wattana (and other) immigration office. 

2 mates went to get them together, One on a Multi-Entry Non O based on marriage, one on a marriage extension, they only allowed the one with the extension from that office to get one. 

I don't even go to the embassy. Just email them, post them the money, and get the Cert. of Residence mailed to me. 

How long does that take? 

I like that idea... :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

2 and a half months, registration rejected by Land Transport Dept. as they failed to see a big permission to stay stamp and stated the dates did not match. Big permission to stay stamp was pointed out to them and the registration was accepted. Another 2 hours of my life gone.

3 months still waiting. I am not bothered, it is just fascinating how slow and incompetent the various parties can be.

The manager at the Yamaha dealership, who I do like and always chat happily to, assured me progress is being made. She showed me a photo of the number plate I will receive at some time. The current hold up is, according to her, the fact that the Land Transport Dept. are being slow on issuing the green books.

I cannot think they will spin this out to 4 months. But as long as I get it in the end, that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...