South Korean man dies in fall from Pattaya condo

webfact

South Korean man dies in fall from Pattaya condo
By The Nation

PATTAYA: -- A South Korean man fell to his death from the 37th floor of a Pattaya condominium early on Wednesday.

The man was identified as San Jong Lee, 40, who has just moved to live in the 42-storey condominium on Soi Wong Ammart in Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district on June 20, police said.

Officials at the condominium told police that they heard a loud noise at 4am and when security officers checked around the condo they found the man's body on the stairway to the condominium's swimming pool.

Condo officials said the man returned to his room late on Tuesday night and he appeared to be intoxicated.

His body was sent to the Bang Lamung hospital pending notification of his family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319330

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-28

to be honest, while the number of such cases in Thailand is stunning, I am somehow not surprised when just looking at my own balcony. A sure death trap for children, so easy to slip through accidentally. Cannot believe it is allowed to build a balcony like that

14 hours ago, siam2007 said:

to be honest, while the number of such cases in Thailand is stunning, I am somehow not surprised when just looking at my own balcony. A sure death trap for children, so easy to slip through accidentally. Cannot believe it is allowed to build a balcony like that

Yes, no standards or building codes exist on the Thai books, and no laws to enforce such standards exist.  The railings should be x feet  high, posts should be no greater than 6 inches apart, etc.  the jokes about low balconies and tall falangs, frankly has a ring of truth to it. It is quite easy to fall over some of the balcony railings

3 hours ago, kalidescopemind said:

This one had to be an accident if the guy just bought the condo.  Beware, Ambien can make you sleepwalk.  Thailand should have an immediate review of balcony standards for all new and existing buildings, and make upgrades.  

Also all external cladding on high-rise buildings should be checked too.  If this negligence in UK can take place, what horrors are lurking in Thailand's building regs?

• 2 weeks later...