Social Security registration for over 60 Year old Foreigner with Work Permit possible?

The company hiring you must pay your SS on your behalf to the government. This also entitles you to some benefits while working such as free Gov. hospital. When you stop working you can apply to SS office to get all back plus interest. If you have 180 months paid up and 55 or older when stop working you can apply for pension, lump sum or free Gov. hospital. Im opted for lump sum. My work mate who entered SS scheme at 63 yrs and stopped work at 68 will get back all he paid in. 

29 minutes ago, RBOP said:

The company hiring you must pay your SS on your behalf to the government. This also entitles you to some benefits while working such as free Gov. hospital. When you stop working you can apply to SS office to get all back plus interest. If you have 180 months paid up and 55 or older when stop working you can apply for pension, lump sum or free Gov. hospital. Im opted for lump sum. My work mate who entered SS scheme at 63 yrs and stopped work at 68 will get back all he paid in. 

They cant register him even if they want to as he is past the oldest registration age. There are however moves to increase this age to 65 and the OP need to watch the news for this.

Thanks for the link, I found a translation of the Social Security act on the same page, so I guess this is valid.

In Section 33 it says:

Section 33 The employee who has been over fifteen years of age and not more than sixty years of age, shall be insured person. The insured person under paragraph one who has become sixty years of age and has continually been an employee of the employer under this Act, shall be deemed to be an employee who is an insured person.

This confirms your statement.

But there is also Section 40:

Section 40. Any other person who is not an employee under section 33 may apply to be an insured person under this Act by notifying his or her intention to the Office. Rules and rate of contributions, type of benefits to be received under section 54 including rules and conditions of entitlement shall be prescribed in the Royal Decree.

I understand this that people covered under the conditions set forth by Section 33 are mandatory for Social Security, while those who dont fall under section 34 may apply.

I could not find a paragraph that specifically prevents a over 60 Y.O. from voluntarily apply under Section 40.

Link to the Social Security Act:

http://www.sso.go.th/sites/default/files/Social security act.pdf

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

RBOP, thank you for this information. It would be good if you can post a link or two about this. It seems too hard to find one in English.

I have been on Thai SS for more than 10 years, paid up over 180 months but I am still less than 50 yrs old. It would be good to know the scheme if I leave work before age 55. But if I leave work at 55 and opt for lump sum, how do they compute this? 

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

My work mate who entered SS scheme at 63 yrs and stopped work at 68 will get back all he paid in. 

Seems your mate was accepted although older than 60 when he started? So many conflicting reports here, I really want to understand the procedure.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Know nothing about social security here but the 60 thing is only for teachers?

Regarding?

The Thai labour law allows for people to work past the age of 60, but you must renew your contract every year from that point and lose the right to any further severance pay, so for example if you were employed at the same company for 10 years or more, on an indefinite employment contract, prior to reaching 60, then the company can agree to continue your employment, however, they must pay out any severance pay owed up to that point and issue a new contract on a yearly basis.

I would assume that this may apply to teachers working legitimately also.

I am a little unsure now regarding the SS payments after the age of 60, as Rasputin has stated, there seems to be some confusion, seems you definitely can continue after reaching 60 if you are still in employment, the issue is, can you register after the age of 60, i.e. 61 and above.

1 hour ago, Rastaputin said:

Seems your mate was accepted although older than 60 when he started? So many conflicting reports here, I really want to understand the procedure.

My old work mates were under a recruitment company that provided their work permits and seconded to another company. They did all the tax, accounting and reporting. I don't think the 60 yr rule is accurately translated. There was several in my old office that paid into SS and well over 60 when they started.

Just my 2 cents, if you taking a management position you should be asking for a proper expat package or at least anything that's better than what social security offers,

Edited by RBOP

2 hours ago, Cyama said:

RBOP, thank you for this information. It would be good if you can post a link or two about this. It seems too hard to find one in English.

I have been on Thai SS for more than 10 years, paid up over 180 months but I am still less than 50 yrs old. It would be good to know the scheme if I leave work before age 55. But if I leave work at 55 and opt for lump sum, how do they compute this? 

I just typed up a long reply and it disappeared after I clicked Submit and still having errors posting. Sorry a bit lazy to retype it. 

Basically you'll have to wait until your 55 to be able to get the benefits. This is what my former HR department told me and what SS told when I went in a week before my birthday. Best you go yourself to any SS office and they can look up your file.  Here's a link on some discussion

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/947097-can-expats-collect-thai-retirement-pension/

Retirement age in Thailand is deemed to be 60. You can work past this age as people mentioned. Your SSO contributions stop at 60 and you get a lump sum payment or monthly payment. Your health cover however continues. If the retirement age is increased to 65 as discussed at present by government. SSO members thats not reached the age of 60 will be able to contribute to the age of 65 whereafter they will be able to get benefits paid out. Under this new age limit new entrants will be allowed to join under the age of 65. 

OP the best will be to contact your local SS office and speak to them they have been very helpfull in the past.