Teen Singer's Critical Tweets Spark Nationalist Backlash

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Your first statement is not accurate .  You can own a car in all of those places if you can afford to do so.

As for you second statement, we all know Thailand is not free.  It does not have a free press.  There is no freedom to gather to hold political rallies.  If you equate freedom with waiting on buses that never come and two to three hour taxi rides, then you are correct.  It is the freest country on earth. 

The keywords - if you can afford to do so! That's the barrier to entry.

Here, a used car bought at Bt30,000 can be on the road next to a Bt30m sports car.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chris Renaix said:

Same for region in Phuket were I lived, May 2004 !  You're right!

And I seem to recall again in Phuket back in 2001 paying a deposit of c 20.000 Baht for what is now True Visions? 

The nationalistic-rage-mob have all the rights to be uncomfortable with the knickers bunching, they should be proud of what's uniquely Thai.

I'm just constantly amazed by how Thailand manages to keeps ticking along despite all its guffaw-inducing-daily-hiccups.

14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Wow so that is what is was like in the 1970's huh cool.   You must have some memories.

Ha, you had to pay money for a number for the landline as they were limited. You could actually swim in Pattaya in those days, short time was all but unheard of, women were mostly slim, some things were rough but that was the fun, you could even hire a dirt bike in quiet little Patong and ride around the largely deserted coast, a lot of other things were far better.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

The keywords - if you can afford to do so! That's the barrier to entry.

Here, a used car bought at Bt30,000 can be on the road next to a Bt30m sports car.

Being to afford something is key.  Other than say Hong Kong and Singapore, the barrier of entry is induced by market forces or economics, not by government intervention.  Many of these countries have their own brand of vehicle for which they are very proud of.  They want their citizens to buy these cars, but they may not as they do not have a need, supply and demand. 

Sorry, but there is nothing magically free in what you are saying. 

22 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Being to afford something is key.  Other than say Hong Kong and Singapore, the barrier of entry is induced by market forces or economics, not by government intervention.  Many of these countries have their own brand of vehicle for which they are very proud of.  They want their citizens to buy these cars, but they may not as they do not have a need, supply and demand. 

Sorry, but there is nothing magically free in what you are saying. 

Take Singapore. You first need to buy a piece of paper to own a car for 10 years.

Hong Kong and Japan only allows you to own a car on proof that you own a parking lot.

That's the barrier. Only the rich are able to own cars.

Thais can own and use a car at the price of a new motorcycle. That's the freedom.

Edited by trogers

28 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

That's not freedom, that's an economy of scale. 

That which occurs from supply and demand of the economy is natural.

That which evolves from man made regulations is not natural and only creates a privileged class.

Like, all men are equal. But some are more equal than others.

So, I am only making 500 USD a month, but I can still pay off the loan for a used car. Why can't I buy one and use it on the road? Why do you restrict me to own one?

Edited by trogers

A true patriot (who loves her country) has an obligation to voice and consider criticism about any and all aspects of the society in which they have a vested interest.

If people cannot identify or call attention to illnesses, how can they hope to ever find cures?

Self delusion is not healthy for an individual or a State.

Unfortunately for Image - and Thailand - fooling yourself is easier than dealing with hard truths.

Ooooooouuuuuh, someone had an opinion, critical of Thailand?!

We can not have that!

Thailand is the greatest country in the history of forever, everything here is better than anywhere else and the world should bow their head to the superior Thai- people and their fantastic country!

Third world- and always will be!

3 hours ago, trogers said:

That which occurs from supply and demand of the economy is natural.

That which evolves from man made regulations is not natural and only creates a privileged class.

Like, all men are equal. But some are more equal than others.

So, I am only making 500 USD a month, but I can still pay off the loan for a used car. Why can't I buy one and use it on the road? Why do you restrict me to own one?

So you are advocating this 19 year old woman exercise her rights as a free Thai citizen and just buy a car?  She should stop complaining about buses tied up in traffic and other insufficient mass transit systems and just add to the congestion ? 

Thailand is an inexpensive place to purchase and own a car, not the embodiment of a free society.

Can you even imagine this being a story back home? Someone complaining on social media about the buses being late and the general state of the country.. happens every day doesn't it?

It's an extremely sick country that condemns complaints like this. 

Just now, eeyang wah said:

Can you even imagine this being a story back home? Someone complaining on social media about the buses being late and the general state of the country.. happens every day doesn't it?

It's an extremely sick country that condemns complaints like this. 

She is totally within her rights to complain and she is doing the country a service by doing so.  Sadly, she will probably capitulate to those who have more misplaced nationalist pride than intelligence. 

1 minute ago, yellowboat said:

So you are advocating this 19 year old woman exercise her rights as a free Thai citizen and just buy a car?  She should stop complaining about buses tied up in traffic and other insufficient mass transit systems and just add to the congestion ? 

Thailand is an inexpensive place to purchase and own a car, not the embodiment of a free society.

The cause of traffic snarls is too many vehicles on too few roads. The only solution is either reducing the number of cars or increasing road space or both.

The path to a solution will infringe on people's liberty in using the roads.

No politicians dare to force a solution in fear of a backlash from the ballot box. Are Thais ready to face the truth, or just complain, scream or shout, but still insist on their rights and liberty to own and use a car?

30 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

She is totally within her rights to complain and she is doing the country a service by doing so.

Absolutely right. So many things here could be improved if only people would speak up. It amazes me on a daily basis the level of utter shitness that these sheeple put up with. 

35 minutes ago, trogers said:

The cause of traffic snarls is too many vehicles on too few roads. The only solution is either reducing the number of cars or increasing road space or both.

The path to a solution will infringe on people's liberty in using the roads.

No politicians dare to force a solution in fear of a backlash from the ballot box. Are Thais ready to face the truth, or just complain, scream or shout, but still insist on their rights and liberty to own and use a car?

Ballot box ?  What ballot box ?  They did away with that three years ago in your totally free Thailand.

Edited by yellowboat

18 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

2003 I paid 3000 Baht for a landline number in Roi-Et and the Internet was non existent . That's not too long ago.

Try getting a phone line in 1982.....................................:cheesy:

Edited by chainarong

38 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I was asked for 80.000 THB for a line in Phuket in the end of the 80s, bought a mobile phone instead.

My wife is 43, born in 1974.

The did not get electricity in Prasat, Surin until 1986. She was 12.

When I first went there in 2000, they still had phone booths (the kind Superman ran into to change clothes).

Ancient outdated, & ridiculous.

They just finally got DTAC coverage a few years ago out there....even though there was a 1,000 foot tall tower not two miles away.

I recall someone sending me a 1 mb attachment via email when I had dial-up & a 56k modem from AIS.

It would constantly shut itself off & 1 mb was like downloading the Library of Congress (or so it seemed).

-----------

The young gal should not blame late buses on Thailand, as it happens all over the world.

Tech takes time to integrate in a corrupt society. It took them what 3 or 4 YEARS? to decide who would get the 3G contract!

If anything, she should start at ground level & complain about all the "Brake Failures" on Thai buses.