Re-entry stamps

I've recently obtained a retirement visa. I've been told that I must always obtain a re-entry stamp in my passport prior to leaving Thailand for no matter how short my absence will be, is this correct?

If so:

• how long prior to leaving Thailand can I get this stamp?

• do I need to show or give the immigration office a hard-copy of my forthcoming overseas flight tickets or will showing them an electronic copy on my phone suffice?

• is there any cost?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

If you have OA visa from an embassy or consulate you don't need a re-entry permit since it is a multiple entry visa.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon retirement you applied for and obtained at a immigration office you need a re-entry permit to keep it valid if you want to travel.

You  can get a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht or a multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht at an immigration office. The re-entry permit will be valid up to the date your extension ends or when used if a single re-entry permit.

You can get the re-entry permit whenever you want to.

No need for a proof of a flight out of the country.

• Like 1

O-A visas are not issued in Thailand, only in your home country.  Most likely, you received a one-year extension of stay at an Immigrations office in Thailand?  If so, then as said by ubonjoe above, yes, you do need a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand.  If you don't, the extension is canceled upon exit from Thailand.

An O-A Visa is multi entry, but can only be issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a Country where you have citizenship or residency.

It's sounds as though you have obtained an 'extension of stay' from local Immigration.

It is not a Visa, it's a permit, hence no entry or exit conditions.

You obtain a re-entry permit (single or multiple), valid for the period of the extension, allowing exit/re-entry whilst keeping your permission to stay valid.

You can obtain the re-entry permit from any Immigration office or at the airports.

O-A visas are not issued in Thailand, only in your home country.  Most likely, you received a one-year extension of stay at an Immigrations office in Thailand?  If so, then as said by ubonjoe above, yes, you do need a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand.  If you don't, the extension is canceled upon exit from Thailand.

It's a non O retirement visa which I obtained in Thailand just 3 months ago

Just now, Gregster said:

Is this a conversion to a three months non-O visa.

Suspect you have extension of stay based on retirement for one year, it's not a visa.

With extension of stay you need a re-entry permit.

This is why use of right terminology is important

1 minute ago, Gregster said:

Thailand Immigration will only issue a Non Imm O Visa as a prelude to obtaining an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement.

I suspect you received a Non Imm O followed by an extension of stay.

If you read the last stamp, does it state 'RETIREMENT', then underneath 'extension of stay permitted until.....(DATE).

Posting a picture of your stamps will help

Even if it is a Non-Immigrant O as part of the process to change from another visa type to an extension, if he leaves Thailand and plans to return within the 90-day validity, a re-entry permit would be necessary.

9 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

This is why use of right terminology is important

Amen, brother.  Amen.

But, that said, for folks who aren't avid followers of this forum section, it can be quite easy to mis-use terminology.

1 minute ago, wpcoe said:

Even if it is a Non-Immigrant O as part of the process to change from another visa type to an extension, if he leaves Thailand and plans to return within the 90-day validity, a re-entry permit would be necessary

But, that said, for folks who aren't avid followers of this forum section, it can be quite easy to mis-use terminology.

Agreed, but the OP stated it's 3 months old now, which would suggest he's now on the extension.

A picture of his stamp will show the date the extension expires.

56 minutes ago, Gregster said:

now you must apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on retirement.

get a re-entry permit (single or multi) while you're there at immigration.

As the stamp immigration did on June 1st states you have an extension of stay valid until 27 August 2018.
You need to get a single or multiple re-entry permit before leaving the country.

Thank you. And apologies for any incorrect terminology. I used a visa agent and he told me I was paying for a retirement visa however that's not the case as it appears that I have an extension only.

Again, thanks to all for your assistance. I will contact immigration for a re-entry permit.

A have  1-year extension of stay based on retirement Juni 2017 and Multi Re- Entry. When a coming back to Thailand  Monday 11 of September, then a have 90 Days to Go to Immigration ?

Edited by nasa123

11 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

A have  1-year extension of stay based on retirement Juni 2017 and Multi Re- Entry. When a coming back to Thailand  Monday 11 of September, then a have 90 Days to Go to Immigration ?

Your 90 day report will be due 90 days from the date you enter the country including that day in the count. 

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your 90 day report will be due 90 days from the date you enter the country including that day in the count. 

Thank you UbonJoe you are a star, then i go 2 weeks before,the last day are Desember 10 Right ?.

Look this Calculator : https://www.travelblog.org/Cool-Stuff/visa-calculator.php

Edited by nasa123

4 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Thank you UbonJoe you are a star, then i go 2 weeks before,the last day are Desember 10 Right ?.

Look this Calculator : https://www.travelblog.org/Cool-Stuff/visa-calculator.php

Using Windows date calculator and using 89 days since does not include the first day I get December 9th. You can report up to 15 days before the report date or 7 days after including the report date the count.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Using Windows date calculator and using 89 days since does not include the first day I get December 9th. You can report up to 15 days before the report date or 7 days after including the report date the count.

Thank again UbonJoe :)

• 1 year later...

I know the topic is a couple years old, but a quick clarification question:

- For the extension of stay based on retirement, the photo shows "extension of stay permitted up to 27 AUG 2018" - so is this date the same as a visa "enter before date" (thus leaving on a re-entry permit and coming back in on say 26 AUG 2018 to get another extension) or is that the hard deadline for using the extension (if he came back on 26 AUG 2018, would he have 1 day to stay in Thailand, or would they stamp him a 30-day visa exempt status (if his country's passport is eligible for that)) ? 

1 minute ago, BKK4 said:

I know the topic is a couple years old, but a quick clarification question:

- For the extension of stay based on retirement, the photo shows "extension of stay permitted up to 27 AUG 2018" - so is this date the same as a visa "enter before date" (thus leaving on a re-entry permit and coming back in on say 26 AUG 2018 to get another extension) or is that the hard deadline for using the extension (if he came back on 26 AUG 2018, would he have 1 day to stay in Thailand, or would they stamp him a 30-day visa exempt status (if his country's passport is eligible for that)) ? 

If they entered on the 26th they would they would be stamped in to the 27th unless they told the officer they wanted a 30 day visa exempt entry. If everything was ready they could get it done in one day or overstay for a day or 2 to get it done after paying the 500 baht per day fine for it.

Thank you for the reply ubonjoe. I have a friend coming back to Thailand with something similar to the above and will advise her to try asking for a 30-day exempt stamp (US passport) instead of using the remaining 18 days on the extension of stay. (real scenario is extension of stay through 17 APR, but entering Thailand on 31 MAR with a multiple-entry re-entry permit).