Hdtv 1080p

konangrit

the Slimfit Tv's are HD-Ready and will accept a 1080i resolution, I don't even know if they will show the full resolution or just downscale to 480p, I'm guessing the former.

The best bet for BIG TV gaming is either a projector, or the Sony 65" SXRD at 140,000 baht or nearabouts, most other TV's here are 720p or 768p.

Ha Ha, you've got ya PS3 and now you want a HDTV!!! Same as me mate.

I was looking today in Carrefour on Rama 4, they have got 32" HDTV Samsungs (not LCD but "Slim Technology") for 21k Baht. Not bad I thought...

Ha, You know that! Wanted one for a while, but no point before as no content on UBC, but now I've got the PS3 looking forward to playing in full HD, and watching Blue Ray movies. I wasn't aware of the "slimfit" technology, sounds very interesting, but was really after a minimum of 42" and 1080p, but these TVs don't go anywhere near that size and only do 1080 interlaced, which is no good for gaming apparently. 21K sounds very reasonable, though.

the Slimfit Tv's are HD-Ready and will accept a 1080i resolution, I don't even know if they will show the full resolution or just downscale to 480p, I'm guessing the former.

The best bet for BIG TV gaming is either a projector, or the Sony 65" SXRD at 140,000 baht or nearabouts, most other TV's here are 720p or 768p.

I have seen a few plasma 1080p screens here, but the places I saw them in probably weren't going to be the best for value. I was hoping (maybe a bit wishfully) to find a 42" plasma for around 70K. I've always been put off by projection TVs, but the technology has really progressed in recent years. How does it compare to plasma or LCD? After reading a bit about Sony's SXRD it sounds like a very good option, I'm leaning towards one now. 65" is very tempting, but 140K is a lot to justify for a TV, and I'm only going to be sat less than 3M from the thing, so maybe I should get a smaller model, I see that they also do 50", 55", and 60" models, as well as a 70" one. Any idea of the prices of the smaller models, and where I can take a look at them? Then again, I don't have a wife who's going to nag me about it, so maybe I should treat myself to the big boy.

Check out http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com, they are located in Silom. Not necessary the cheapest but should give you a good price reference. I think they give 1-2% discount if pay by cash.

Don't let the TV manufactures fool you by claiming 1080i/p compatible, it is most likely not full 1080 and the images get downsized to 720 or 480. Instead, look for the TV resolution ratings such as 1920x1080 (1080, only exists in very limited number of the largest LCD TVs), 1280x720 and 704x480. Most plasmas are 480 with some high-end ones at 720.

The current trend is LCD TVs and 37"s have best the price performance ratio.

Where's the best place in Bangkok to get a 1080P HDTV? By best I mean big selection, cheapest prices.

Cheers,

Konangrit

From what I can see, there are currently only two manufacturers that have 1080p (actual 1080p, not just "accept 1080p input" and downsize it to some lower res) for non-astronomical prices (in Thailand), and those are Samsung and Sony. Both Samsung and Sony have 40-46" LCD TVs for around 100-200k baht, and Sony has the 50-60" SXRD projection TVs (which many say are better than LCDs or plasmas) for around the same price bracket.

You can go ahead and take a look around at the various shopping malls. Then go to the various retailers outside the malls (like Sinsiam) and they will give you around 5% discount for a cash purchase... you can also take off more if you cut some of the freebies (like home theater, dvd player, etc).

Are you sure there is a 65" model? I can only find details about 60" and 70" models, but nothing in between.

From what I can see, there are currently only two manufacturers that have 1080p (actual 1080p, not just "accept 1080p input" and downsize it to some lower res) for non-astronomical prices (in Thailand), and those are Samsung and Sony. Both Samsung and Sony have 40-46" LCD TVs for around 100-200k baht, and Sony has the 50-60" SXRD projection TVs (which many say are better than LCDs or plasmas) for around the same price bracket.

You can go ahead and take a look around at the various shopping malls. Then go to the various retailers outside the malls (like Sinsiam) and they will give you around 5% discount for a cash purchase... you can also take off more if you cut some of the freebies (like home theater, dvd player, etc).

I was just going to write the exact same thing. I have been keeping my eyes open for true 1080p and found that Sony and Samsung have started selling them only just very recently.

The vast, vast majority of "HDTV-Ready" LCD TVs is 1366x768, not 1920x1080 (1080p).

Bravia X series and some Samsungs have real HD. I want one but I find it pretty hard to buy now while prices are in free-fall, basically.

Whichever you buy, resolution is not everything - there are pretty big differences in LCD quality between the vendors and between different models.

JVC has 1080P sets in their line of HD-ILA sets (I own one). It's based on the same technology (LCOS) as the Sony SXRDs and represent a better value IMHO (at least in the U.S.)

No stations broadcasting terrestrial (or satellite) HDTV, and no cable (or sat) HDTV. No plans for it in the near future, either. Also HD players are fairly scarce. Main source of HD content would be from your computer or a gaming console. Main reasons to get a flat panel now would be for looks and size. If terrestrial HDTV broadcasts *did* start (dream on), you'd need to get a separate receiver, since currently *none* of the HDTVs sold here have any type of HDTV receiver.

The thing about JVC's HD-ILA is that they're very hard to find in Thailand. Yes, you can see them at the various electronics shows (they've been available for over a year now), but once you go to malls or retailers, you find that they don't have them on display. Sonys and Samsung 1080p units, OTOH, can be seen at most places, even though they're only been recently introduced to Thailand. There are also plenty of other highly scarce or ultra-expensive 1080p displays sold here, but I'm limiting it to what I can easily find and doesn't cost way too much.

I bought a 1080i (true 1920x1080, with Faroudja processing) Benq about a year ago for 80k, when Sony's highest resolution was 1366x768 and cost well over 100k. It's now sold for a little over 40k, but hey, that's how it works. Prices will always drop, and you can keep waiting until kingdom come for prices to drop to nothing. It's just a matter of when you need it and how much you're willing to pay.

Edited by Firefoxx

I've decided to get one of the Sony SXRDs, which size will depend on price. Sony's RRP for the sets are:

KS-50R200A :129,990 Bt. (50")

KS-60R200A :149,990 Bt. (60")

KS-70R200A :199,990 Bt (70")

I managed to take a look at the 50" and 60" models yesterday, but couldn't find anywhere displaying the 70". The electronics department on the top floor of Siam Paragon had the 50" for 99,990 Bt. Everywhere else was either the same, or slightly higher than RRP. Akihabara also have the 50" reduced to 99,900 Bt. Maybe this is the new RRP? If so it may be worth waiting a little bit to see if the 60" and 70" get a price drop. Still waiting for SinSiam to get back to me with a "special price", they only display RRP on their site, so will visit their store along with a couple of others today to see what sort of price I can get these sets down to. The RRP in Australia for the equivalent sets are similar, and people have been negotiating 20-25% discounts, is it reasonable to expect to be able to do the same here for cash?

Any suggestions of stores similar to SinSiam would be helpful in giving me a bit more negotiating power too.

Cheers,

Konangrit

Sinsiam are very good, they should do a price match to anywhere if you do find it cheaper. I reckon you could probably get the 60" for 129,990 - 139,990. I may be looking at one for my bedroom in the new house - currently have a projector but its getting on a bit now.

Samsung also now have a new range of 1080p LCD's out, the 40" is 99,990 and the 52" is 299,990 (ouch).

Yes, Siam Paragon have several LCD 1080p sets too, what they describe as True HD I believe that they have Sony Bravia at these resolutions I think the prices were similar to the Samsung ones mentioned above.

Philips have some too in Home Pro, but they are really expensive - 37" LCD 1080p TV is 156,000!!!!

I've decided to get one of the Sony SXRDs, which size will depend on price. Sony's RRP for the sets are:

OUCH!!! The 70" JVC 1080P set can be had for a little over U.S. $3000. Guess I better bring a dollar stash when I make the "final" move for "luxury" items (although I consider TV an essential). :o

Most "high-end" stuff will be quite a bit more expensive here than in the US. It's a fact of life. At least it is a bit better than a couple years before... at that time you couldn't even find SXRDs sold here, and many of the LCDs were twice as much as the US.

Well, I went to SinSiam and was a bit disappointed with the relatively small discount they could give, only 3-4% off the 60" and 70" RRPs. The 50" was reduced to just under 100K there too, so that must be the new RRP, but he wouldn't give me any discount off of that. Maybe I'm better off waiting a few weeks to see if the 60" and 70" also get a drop in price.

SinSiam:

50" 99,900 Bt.

60" 145,000 Bt.

70" 192,000 Bt.

Maybe I could've negotiated another 1 or 2 percent off if I tried harder, but wasn't buying that day so didn't bother. It was a lot less than I was expecting to be able to get anyway.

Now, Paragon/Emporium do a 5% discount card. I assume the electrical department on the top floor of Paragon is included in this, it's not mentioned in the exclusions on their site, although it does say "regularly priced merchandise" which may exclude the 50", but it wasn't advertised as reduced or special offer, so hopefully not. If it can be used then prices at Paragon with discount card would be:

50" 95,000 Bt.

60" 142,500 Bt

70" 190,000 Bt.

Will wait a few weeks anyway to see if the bigger sets drop too, if not then it will have to be the 50" as that seems the best value. Are their margins so thin that they can only offer 3-4% off retail? Seems extremely tight to me.

OUCH!!! The 70" JVC 1080P set can be had for a little over U.S. $3000. Guess I better bring a dollar stash when I make the "final" move for "luxury" items (although I consider TV an essential). :o

There isn't actually a great difference in RRPs on the Sony's between Thailand and the US (50" is now 100K here). The closest US models are:

KDS-50A2000: $2400 = 86,000 Bt.

KDS-R60XBR2: $3800 = 136,000 Bt.

KDS-R70XBR2: $6000 = 215,000 Bt.

But they are available way below RRP, a quick google brought up (after shipping):

KDS-50A2000: $1690 = 61,000 Bt.

KDS-R60XBR2: $2685 = 96,000 Bt.

KDS-R70XBR2 $4265 = 153,000 Bt.

Maybe you have to pay tax, not coming from the US I don't know, so yes it's about 35-40% cheaper in the US, but as firefoxx points out, it's not as bad as it used to be, and bear in mind the US will be significantly cheaper than almost any other country in the world for this sort of thing. I'm still surprised they won't go below the RRP more than a few %, though.

No stations broadcasting terrestrial (or satellite) HDTV, and no cable (or sat) HDTV. No plans for it in the near future, either. Also HD players are fairly scarce. Main source of HD content would be from your computer or a gaming console. Main reasons to get a flat panel now would be for looks and size. If terrestrial HDTV broadcasts *did* start (dream on), you'd need to get a separate receiver, since currently *none* of the HDTVs sold here have any type of HDTV receiver.

Pardon ....

Where did you get this information? HDTV has been on satellite for over two years now on;

Asiasat 4

Chinastar

and recently on Eutelsat W5

Pardon ....

Where did you get this information? HDTV has been on satellite for over two years now on;

Asiasat 4

Chinastar

and recently on Eutelsat W5

KuBand should know ! He has even just posted some HD screen shots from Eutelsat.

He is the number 1 expat satellite expert in Thailand. No joke .Sad however that only today he locked his forum (jsat.tv ) and it is now only available to registered members .

Please reconsider.John ..we all enjoy reading the jsat postings !

Edited by topfield