Seeking Sustainable Solar Power For Urban Thailand 4.0

webfact

Seeking Sustainable Solar Power For Urban Thailand 4.0

By Dana Blouin, Correspondent

Untitled-2-696x492.jpg  

In this undated image, a man grills chicken using heat from solar power panels in Petchaburi province. Image: Mint / YouTube

As I continue my look at different aspects of Thailand 4.0 and some of the challenges ahead for this initiative to become a reality, I want take a look at energy. It is what runs our aircon, powers our buildings and keeps the internet running. There is not much that can be done in a knowledge economy that doesn’t require energy. Increasingly, where that energy comes from is significant.

Energy is a big deal, and Thailand uses a lot of it. The country produces about a third of the oil it uses, and still needs to import more. Thailand is one of the largest producers of coal in the region as well – but must still import more to meet demand. This demand is going to rise as the Thailand 4.0 plan pushes forward. Reliance on imported energy sources can put a country at risk of economic instability if the market spikes or political tensions cause the energy spigot to shut down. This is where renewables can play a big role.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2017/08/29/seeking-sustainable-solar-power-urban-thailand-4-0/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-29

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

many solar panel farms popping up around Hua Hin.

and the output is tied into the local grid.

I cannot believe the size of one I saw a couple of years ago about half an hour SE of Khon Kaen.   Both  sides of the road and as far as the eye could see.  

We live very near SH 331 and every few weeks I see (just purely by accident and I am not out on the highway that much)  huge long two cab transporters with sections of masts & blades for wind turbines heading up 331.  I estimate the loads at perhaps 30 to 40 metres or so, long.  Thailand is getting well into re-newables.  Good on them. 

Edited by The Deerhunter

There should be a law, as well as state support in Thailand, to install water heaters and solar panels on every single roof, which are able to feed the grid. Thermo-solar units could be installed on the roofs of factories and super-markets, mainly supplying the air-cons and cooling systems with sustainable power during the daytime. This policy would make new power plants redundant, whilst the electricity being used during the night, could be provided by gas-fired power plants until storage utilities, like dams, lakes, H2 production facilities and such are available. A further backup could be the extensive use of wind turbines on the gulf. This policy would create thousands of jobs in Thailand. Disadvantage: The EGAT would not make that much money,

18 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

There should be a law, as well as state support in Thailand, to install water heaters and solar panels on every single roof, which are able to feed the grid. Thermo-solar units could be installed on the roofs of factories and super-markets, mainly supplying the air-cons and cooling systems with sustainable power during the daytime. This policy would make new power plants redundant, whilst the electricity being used during the night, could be provided by gas-fired power plants until storage utilities, like dams, lakes, H2 production facilities and such are available. A further backup could be the extensive use of wind turbines on the gulf. This policy would create thousands of jobs in Thailand. Disadvantage: The EGAT would not make that much money,

Dream on! what you suggest would require huge government subsidies & a commitment to the planet, add to that loss of revenue, that it would also require a forward thinking "Plan" = ain't going to happen!

Next you will be suggesting they invest in education and road safety!  :shock1:

Edited by CGW

5 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

I like your ideas. Recently I saw wind turbines near Phitsanulok, which as you know is far from the coast. But on a hill which I gather gets a lot of wind. Solar Panels for large users, especially during the day time, like Hotels, Super-Markets, and Factories, would also be a great idea. I wonder why they don't do this. 

Personally, I have looked into Solar Panels myself. Sadly though, the economics of Solar Panels for a small operation, likes one's own house with a few of air-cons, is not feasible. Battery Back-up for night use, also doubles the cost and thus makes it even more not feasible. If you could sell the excess power back to the power company during the day, and use it at night, then maybe it would be worth it. But as it stands today, you can't do that. 

"..... urban solar projects that look to add both capacity and stability to grids as well as the economy. "

News for you lady, you don't get both. As soon as uncontrolled inputs approach 40% grid stability becomes a problem, and that is what solar and wind are, uncontrolled inputs. To compensate other controlled input generators are required to be on standby, at a cost.

It is no coincidence that the countries with the highest percentages of solar and wind generation have the highest cost electricity and the most grid stability problems. Welcome to the real world.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/19/australia-surging-electricity-prices-spark-calls-for-national-inquiry-into-renewable-energy

"

Germany comes in as a close second, with electricity prices of $0.19 per kilowatt hour. Due to this, it has been reported that the country has developed a program for increasing the contribution of electricity sourced from renewable sources to upwards of 80% by the calendar year 2050. During the first quarter of 2014, the country produced a record-setting 27% of its electricity via renewable sources, a result of both favorable weather and an increased capacity to utilize renewable energy within the country.

There are ramifications involved in Germany’s contemporary renewable energy program, including an instable electric grid, the burden being placed upon German households by increased costs for electricity, and the need for secure back-up power that is affordable and reliable."

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/electricity-rates-around-the-world.html

Nuclear power isn't cheap. Once you include decommissioning costs, it actually costs 2-3 times as much as is claimed. In the UK, the cost of decommissioning 17 old nuclear plants is put as 161 Billion GBP, (at current prices) and will take over 100 years. The tax payer is footing the bill, because the company responsible for the older nuclear power stations went technically bankrupt when they found out how much decommissioning cost.

Decommissioning is the reason why UK's new, controversial nuclear power plant's owners want a price of about 9.5p per Kwh (wholesale, retail rate will be much higher). Still no guarantee the owners will not liquidate the company and walk at the end of the reactors life.

Yes, renewables have an issue with irregular supply. But it is an issue which can be dealt with, just a technical issue of how to economically store the electricity. Still probably cheaper than the true cost of nuclear power.