The Trump administration has asked the US Supreme Court for an emergency stay against a federal order that would halt most above-ground work on a planned White House ballroom, arguing the project is tied to national security and presidential power.
The request comes three days before the order is due to take effect. In its filing on Wednesday, Solicitor General John Sauer urged the court to pause the injunction and, ultimately, to take up the case and dismiss it.
Urgent Bid For a Stay
Sauer said that delaying completion would expose the President to unacceptable risk, pointing to the ballroom’s connection with security features described by the government as part of a “military complex”.
He added that the administration believes the construction has passed a point where stopping work would be irreversible, after previously telling the court that the concrete-and-steel structure is effectively “beyond the point of no return”.
National Security And Presidential Powers
The government said the final build is required for “continuity of government” and would act as a “safe room” for the Presidency through integrated engineering.
The administration also argued that courts should not be able to second-guess how the executive branch carries out the construction, and that requiring congressional approval would intrude on presidential authority.
According to Sauer, giving Congress a role would create what he described as “dangerous leverage” over the President, particularly if unforeseen structural problems or vulnerabilities emerge during the project.
Standing Of The Trust
The dispute centres on a challenge by a legal group described in the case as a trust, which argues that construction should not proceed without congressional approval.
Sauer’s filing said the trust lacks standing to bring the case. He argued that the challenge is rooted in a visual objection to the development, which he said is not enough to establish the kind of legal injury required for a court to hear the matter.
He warned that accepting the trust’s position would allow what he described as a wide range of “spectator” complaints to block government projects, including by people planning to visit Washington or viewing information about buildings online.
Project Progress Cited
In previous court submissions, the administration said the ballroom project is already well advanced. It told the Supreme Court last week that the build is 65% complete and that a 250-person crew is working 20 hours a day, seven days a week, to finish it.
The lower courts
The latest Supreme Court appeal follows a decision by the US Court of Appeals, which upheld the injunction in a 2-1 ruling. That order would halt most above-ground construction while the legal dispute proceeds.
With the injunction due to begin at the end of the week, the justices are expected to rule on whether to issue a stay. They could also choose to extend the timetable through an administrative order, giving the court additional time to consider the matter.

20 August 2026
Recommended Comments
Create an account or sign in to comment