Condoms Warning

Jai Dee

Condoms warning

Fourteen per cent of condoms available in Thailand are substandard, Department of Medical Sciences director-general Phaijit Warachit said yesterday.

Makers of faulty condoms need to improve their product before reapplying for an operating licence and standard-guaranteeing certification, said Dr Phaijit.

There are now four local condom makers passing the department's approval. The 14 per cent who failed the basic standard tests are both foreign and local makers.

Dr Phaijit said condoms should be kept in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight and fluorescent light, and without heavy pressure on them.

Brands certified by the Food and Drug Administration are safe, he said.

Last year, 17 per cent of condoms were found to be substandard.

Source: The Nation - 20 February 2007

Even if the manufacturing standards were good, I would be concerned about storage and shelf life. Nothing that is perishable lasts long in Thailand at a constant temp of 90degF/34degC. Storage and handling is inconsistant, whether food products or things made of rubber.

Good luck if you are depending on one of these things.

Dr Phaijit said condoms should be kept in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight and fluorescent light, and without heavy pressure on them.

Hope this rings a warning bell for those who carry around emergency stock in the wallets for those lucky nights out. :o

Condoms warning

Fourteen per cent of condoms available in Thailand are substandard, .................................

There are now four local condom makers passing the department's approval.

Source: The Nation - 20 February 2007

Great report. :o NOT! Why don't they list which condoms passed so we don't go out and buy the substandard condoms.

I wonder if the condoms that passed are manufactured here in Thailand?

Momo, I understand you posted that as a joke, but I've read that some people do use two condoms at a time, but that the rubber-on-rubber friction GREATLY increases the chance of a rupture.

Quote: or things made of rubber

I can fully agree with that.

Yesterday I found my JBL speakers sound was cracking (like it they were blown up).

Opened the front grill and found out about 80% of the rubber ring around the conus was gone! :o

This happened in less then two year in Thailand.

On the other hand it is a valid excuse to go shopping for some new speakers ha ha ha