What Gender Is This Name?

tuky

My wife and I are debating the gender of the name Candy, I think one thing and she thinks the opposite. I can only put this down to the way the name sounds in Thai, or perhaps the fact that my wife is female? :o

This question is mainly directed at the Thai folks on this board, but feel free to comment anyway.

Is Candy a male or female sounding name in Thailand?

Husband doesn't think it sounds like anything :D

But, if you would like my two cents worth, please don't name your daughter Candy. My uncle married a Candy and she fit the stereotype of what people think that name would mean, cute, sweet but ultimately bad for the health :o . Not a nice woman at all. So, for me, Candy has bad connotations.

Marissa is nice :D

My wife and I are debating the gender of the name Candy, I think one thing and she thinks the opposite. I can only put this down to the way the name sounds in Thai, or perhaps the fact that my wife is female?  :o

This question is mainly directed at the Thai folks on this board, but feel free to comment anyway.

Is Candy a male or female sounding name in Thailand?

Candy Tuky.......doesnt sound right.... :D:D:D

Husband doesn't think it sounds like anything :D

But, if you would like my two cents worth, please don't name your daughter Candy. My uncle married a Candy and she fit the stereotype of what people think that name would mean, cute, sweet but ultimately bad for the health  :o . Not a nice woman at all. So, for me, Candy has bad connotations.

Marissa is nice :D

Same with the name 'Christal'.

Sounds like a good name for a pole-dancer! :D

Thanks folks, my wife is the only person I have ever met that thinks Candy is a man's name.

I wonder if she is trying to tell me that she doesn't want our daughter to be called Candy? :o

Perhaps she heard of the actor John Candy and got mixed up thinking his last name was his first name.

Or she heard the song "Candyman".

Or who knows what.

Read on...

Pronunciation: KAN-dee

Origin: English, French

Meaning: "Sweet; candied sugar."

Notes: The French word is from Arabic "qandi", which is of Indian origin. Also short form of Candace.

Variants: Candi, Candie

Other related names: Candida, Kandace

Other names starting with: Ca-, Can-, Cand-

Other names ending with: -dy, -ndy, -andy

Popularity: The name Candy ranked 575 out of 4275 (Top 13%) as a first name for females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. The name Candy ranked 21687 out of 88799 (Top 24%) as a surname for males and females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

:o

Edited by webfact