Marrying a Thai Man

Lina

Hi I am a falang woman and am considering marrying my sweetheart. Well, what with the changes happening in July I have been talking long and hard to my Thai boyfriend and have decided that if we want to stay together then we will have to come up with a drastic plan. We have been together for 6 months and are madly in love, but if I have to have 400,000 baht to marry a Thai or 50,000 a month from my work, then we were thinking of getting married sooner. Does the 400, 000 bhat rule apply now and if not, next time I apply for a year visa will I have to have that money next time? How easy is it for us to marry? And should we even marry? I need some advice please.

Hi I am a falang woman and am considering marrying my sweetheart.  Well, what with the changes happening in July I have been talking long and hard to my Thai boyfriend and have decided that if we want to stay together then we will have to come up with a drastic plan.  We have been together for 6 months and are madly in love, but if I have to have 400,000 baht to marry a Thai or 50,000 a month from my work, then we were thinking of getting married sooner.  Does the 400, 000 bhat rule apply now and if not, next time I apply for a year visa will I have to have that money next time?  How easy is it for us to marry?  And should we even marry?  I need some advice please.

It is very easy to get married in Thailand. Simple and fast. The amount of money you need in the bank is 200,000 baht for marriage. The 400,000 applies in July. I think only you and he can determine whether to get married. Talk in the farang girls threads, there are girls on here married to Thai men

I didn't know you needed to show income to get married. It must be a new rule, well, newish. It didn't apply to us when we got married (15th wedding anniversary in august!). Boo just got married, if she is reading this perhaps she knows.

The current requirements for a one year extension of a non-immigrant visa is 200,000 baht in the bank, apparently that will change to 400,000 in july. It is not necessarily your income they are interested in, in this country the man is expected to be the head of the household and he will have to prove that he can take care of you. So, unless you are working here legally, you should not be showing any income. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, perhaps there are a few more recently married girls around?

I got married in Thailand 2 years ago. My bank balance was -350,000 baht (that is a negitive balance) at the time. We got married. I have proof. I don't recall having to do anything other than sign something to say that I was never married before and stuff like that.

Maybe you don't need money?

Do you have to get married in Thailand? For that amount, I would guess you can get married in a neighbouring country, which should/would be considered valid in Thailand (?)

You only need the bank account / income if you are seeking a one year extension on a Non-Immigrant visa.

congratulation!! you dont need to have any money in your bank account because thai immigration law did not serve thai men and thai women at the same standard.

only thai women who marry foreigner men require momey and the amount depending on which nationality he is,too!! isn't that ridiculous?

anyway, I wish you have a wonderfully wedding.

Hi, Got married in September last year & 3 weeks later went to Penang to apply for the 1 year Non Imm "O" visa. Only needed to produce my passport & wedding certificate, no money or bank books, & got the visa no hassles, went recently to get the 1 year extension & was told that it cost 5k baht & my husband had to come with his id card to immigration & guarantee me, then I could get the 1 year extension, was never asked for bank books or proof of income, when the immigration guy asked me what I did here & I told him housewife, he was satified.

The law is still different for farang guys as, as SBK said, thai law recognises the man as the head of the family, so farang guys living here with thai wives are expected to be the main providers, hence the need for them to produce evidence of money in the bank for their visa applications! :o

Howdy Learner,

you're in the wrong section to ask and this subject has been covered many times in detail but anyway this is it.

If you get married at an Amphur office you are legally married.

If you get married in the villiage in a Buddhist ceremony you are not.

:o

Boo, a one year extension is 1900 baht. And we have always had to show proof of income, even tho my husband is thai, we always give copies of our bank book, tax receipts etc, every year. Are you sure you were getting a one year extension?

I got married in Thailand 2 years ago. My bank balance was -350,000 baht (that is a negitive balance) at the time. We got married. I have proof. I don't recall having to do anything other than sign something to say that I was never married before and stuff like that.

Maybe you don't need money?

Did you get a one year extension of a Non-Immigrant visa ?

Hi Lina,

First of all, congratulations! I wish you and you sweetheart a very good luck on your wedding! Secondly, I am a Thai man and am planning to marry my farang girlfriend too. I have the same question. What are we suppose to do to get married? I know a bit that Thai man marying farang woman is different from farang man marrying Thai woman, but I don't know how different. Anyone has an answer?

We went to my embassy where I signed a form stating I was not already married. Which we then took to the thai legalization office, it took about a week, we got a paper back saying it was ok to get married which we then took to our amphur. All this should be here: =marriage&sword_list[]=thai]thai visa site

The only difference being, 15 years ago, at least, we showed no insurance card, no salary statement, and no certification from my municipality showing marriage notification. Try Boo, she just got married, maybe things have changed?

Is there a difference for Farang male to Thai female?

When we got married we both had to have translated divorce certificates and the boss at Amphur asked us both if we knew there were children and other marriages involved. I didn't need to produce bank accounts or pay slips.

The getting married bit is easy, you only need to produce the bank statements etc if you require the 1 year visa extension, not to get married.

SBK, I went to immigration in January this year & was told that info by the guy we talked about before, not sure but maybe they increased it along with all the other visa fee's last year?

If you are from "up county" no one really cares too much. Go to the Ampour before and ask what documents you need, take your prospective husband and a few relatives along (adds credability). They will probable take the ฿200 from you as quick as you can.

You must have the certificate from Bangkok (I cannot remember what it is called) but basically it means that your documentation is correct.

My tip go to one of the translation sevices since you need all English documents trnslated and for about ฿2200 they will get the certificate in 24 hours. Alot of the time and normally for about ฿8000 - ฿1000, they will do everything for you and have the marriage registered for you.

You still need to have the wedding party though, regardless of your documentation. :o

Boo, I renewed my one year visa extension in September. It used to cost 500 baht and the new price was 1900 baht. Don't know where the 5000B price came from! Sounds suspicious, what do you think dr pp?

Boo, I renewed my one year visa extension in September. It used to cost 500 baht and the new price was 1900 baht. Don't know where the 5000B price came from! Sounds suspicious, what do you think dr pp?

Very suspicious sbk. Sounds like an ' earner ' for Uncle Somchai at Immigration. An extension, whether for ten days or a full year is now 1900 baht