Arsenal Thread

2long

Luckily I have far too much on my plate at the moment to get excited or upset about the footy. My team, Arsenal, play great football and have lots of young talent. Is that enough, though? They try to walk the ball in and try to score the perfect goal.

Does anyone else think that, however clever and pollite Mr. Wenger is, he and Pat Rice just want to see young boys' firm legs running around a field?

• 3 weeks later...

Wenger slams foreign investors

By Phil Jackson -Sky; 16 Sep 2006

Arsene Wenger has criticised title rivals Manchester United and Chelsea for allowing foreign investors to take control of their clubs.

The Frenchman has dismissed reports of a £350 million takeover at Arsenal, insisting English clubs must remain English-owned.

While the Frenchman's principles have not been put into practice on the pitch, with a predominantly foreign contingent in his team, he insists the ownership of the North London side is a far more important issue.

"What is so good about Arsenal is we know what we do and why we do it," Wenger explained.

"I feel it is important that English clubs continue to have English values - and that it just doesn't become who spends more than anybody else.

"I feel maybe it is important for England that the clubs keep under the control of the fans. The owners are the fans first."

With Chelsea funded by the Russian billions of Roman Abramovich, and the league leaders now controlled by American Malcolm Glazer, Wenger believes Arsenal have a great advantage over their rivals.

"It is a change of philosophy and what implication it will have for English football in the future I don't know," he continued.

"I am happy with the owners I have and I don't see the need to change, if I were bankrupt maybe.

"But we have made a miracle by building the new stadium without going bankrupt.

"I think the club is doing well. We have a very promising team and we have just come out of a Champions League final.

"Of course we have had a stuttering start but, if you look at what we have done financially and sports-wise the future of the club looks very good."

Arsenal's regime have the chance to prove themselves and close the gap on United to seven points on Sunday, with a win in the mouth-watering clash live on Sky Sports 1 from 4pm.

redrus

I was pissed off a minute ago, I'm over it now though. Nice one Arsenal, it got to the point when it was always gonna go one way and, to be honest all game it looked like you, although we had plenty of chances.

Nevermind though, let it never be said redrus is not gracious in defeat. I had a feeling about today although, I predicted 2-1 to us in Chon's game, I just cannot bet against my own team.... :o

Roll on the season, this is why we love the game, cos win, lose or sup some booze, footballs always there.... :D

redrus

Well my 3-0 to United prediction was <deleted>

SNAP i predicted the same result and look what happened :D

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

football it's a funny old game init! :o

and yes the wenger git does fit the peado profile perfectly

Well my 3-0 to United prediction was <deleted>

SNAP i predicted the same result and look what happened :D

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

football it's a funny old game init! :D

and yes the wenger git does fit the peado profile perfectly

:o:D:D

Chill out Jing.... :D

redrus

I was pissed off a minute ago, I'm over it now though. Nice one Arsenal, it got to the point when it was always gonna go one way and, to be honest all game it looked like you, although we had plenty of chances.

Nevermind though, let it never be said redrus is not gracious in defeat. I had a feeling about today although, I predicted 2-1 to us in Chon's game, I just cannot bet against my own team.... :o

Roll on the season, this is why we love the game, cos win, lose or sup some booze, footballs always there.... :D

redrus

Well done Red, i applaud you. :D But i was glad to see the goal was the fault of that ###### Portugese, step-over and dive tw4t :D

redrus

Well done Red, i applaud you. :D But i was glad to see the goal was the fault of that ###### Portugese, step-over and dive tw4t :D

LOL, thought everyone would like that, he was our player of the game too, besides Gary Nev.

2nd in the league behind the team of the moment is ok for me.... :D:D , in that comment though, no dis-respect to Pompey but, that table proves how long there is to go.... :D

redrus

Anyway, back to Arsenal.

Lehmann in Police probe.

Lehmann in police probe

By Chris Stanton - Created on 19 Sep 2006

Jens Lehmann is facing a police probe after allegedly kicking a water bottle at Manchester United supporters.

The Arsenal goalkeeper reportedly reacted to the taunts of the home fans after being struck flush in the face by Cristiano Ronaldo's shot during The Gunners' 1-0 win on Sunday.

One supporter in Old Trafford's East Stand complained to police that the Germany international had kicked a bottle in frustration.

And Greater Manchester Police have now confirmed that 'officers are investigating an allegation and enquiries are ongoing.'

A statement read: "We have received one complaint in relation to an allegation that a water bottle was kicked into the crowd."

redrus

Gunners play down debt.

Wenger, Beast lacking sharpness.!

Freddie wants return to form.

Edited by redrus

• 2 weeks later...

DEIN'S BACK

By Ed

Thursday 5th October 2006

He's the new G14 president.

From the Guardian.

David Dein last night returned to football politics by taking up the post of G14 president. The Arsenal vice-chairman suffered enormous embarrassment at the hands of fellow Premiership chairmen four months ago when he was ousted as one of that league's representatives to the Football Association board. But he bounced back on the European stage yesterday, taking up the position at the head of the most influential pressure group in club football.

On claiming the G14 post vacated by the former Real Madrid president, Florentino Pérez, Dein set out a programme for a more dialogue-based approach towards their disputes with the football authorities. "I hope that as chairman of G14 I will be able to build bridges with Uefa and Fifa," said Dein in a statement. "I want to bring about change harmoniously and constructively. There are issues, such as player release, insurance and the international football calendar, which remain a source of dissatisfaction for many professional football clubs, not just G14 ones. We think these can be resolved if we all work together. I hope that over the next nine months we can achieve this."

As a long-serving member of Uefa's club committee, Dein has close links with the European governing body but G14 will not drop ongoing legal action against Fifa, which demands compensation to clubs for national teams' use of players.

redrus