Red flags out in Thanbok Khoranee National Park - currents mean dangerous swimming

webfact

Red flags out in Thanbok Khoranee National Park - currents mean dangerous swimming

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

KRABI: -- Red flags have been posted in two areas of the Thanbok Khoranee National Park to forbid swimming.

They are in the area of the Koh Phakbia beach.

Officials said that there are swirling currents that could drag tourists out to deep water and represent a serious hazard at this time.

Tourists were advised to just paddle close to shore.

Signs in Thai, English and Chinese were put up in warning on Tuesday, reported Thai Rath.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-06

I really do wonder if those signs are based on an assessment of the swimming skills of whom?  I've swam and surfed in strong rips in California and Hawaii. It comes with the surf. 
I'm looking at the water in the background and wondering, "Huh?"
Who are they supposedly protecting and from what.  Obviously Thailand isn't a surf Mecca considering that it would no doubt be considered too dangerous to enter the water if any rideable waves actually appeared. 
Does anyone really know how surf conditions are actually being gauged and enforced by the locals?   Any actual surfing done in Thailand?

Archived