New Passport

1. Get a letter from you embassy requesting the stamp transfer to your new passport.

2. Complete this form. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

3. Make copies of the new passport photo page. Make copies of your old passport photo page and every page that has anything for Thailand on it (visas, stamps and etc)

Then present all the above to your local immigration office.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Get a letter from you embassy requesting the stamp transfer to your new passport.

3. Make copies of the new passport photo page. Make copies of your old passport photo page and every page that has anything for Thailand on it (visas, stamps and etc)

UJ . I was under the impression the letter comes back with passport (uk). Is this correct

Edited by jeab1980
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

UJ . I was under the impression the letter comes back with passport (uk). Is this correct

It it is for the U.K., I got mine back last month and Buriram immigration office insisted on having it.

The OP's question may be hypothetical 

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes

But it is a proforma letter from the embassy signed by a consular officer.

At some embassies it has to be asked for when the new passport it is handed over.

Does anyone know at which point do they punch holes and cancel your passport? The day you apply for a new passport at the Embassy? Because I read that they will mail the new passport to you, so you keep your old passport and when you get the new passport, would you still be able to use the old passport for small stamps like Malaysia. etc. but use the new pages in the new passport for full paged Visas like when entering Laos?

35 minutes ago, acenase said:

Does anyone know at which point do they punch holes and cancel your passport? The day you apply for a new passport at the Embassy? Because I read that they will mail the new passport to you, so you keep your old passport and when you get the new passport, would you still be able to use the old passport for small stamps like Malaysia. etc. but use the new pages in the new passport for full paged Visas like when entering Laos?

It seems you are getting it from the US embassy.

They do not punch holes in it or cancel it until you get your new passport. But if you choose to have it mailed to you they will keep your old passport and mail it to you with the new one. It only takes about 2 weeks (10 days is the average)  to get the new passport.

Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

You can also apply by mail now but you have to send your old one to them and they mail both passports back to you.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not punch holes in it or cancel it until you get your new passport. But if you choose to have it mailed to you they will keep your old passport and mail it to you with the new one. It only takes about 2 weeks (10 days is the average)  to get the new passport.

Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

You can also apply by mail now but you have to send your old one to them and they mail both passports back to you.

and if you simply dont trust the mail, at the USA Chiang mai embassy, there is a form that you can get from them that allows/authorizes a party other than you to pick up that passport in person; we used star visa  right down the street as we have used them and trusted them for a Long time; they know the drill, you wont have to explain much to them; they can/will courier it to you if desired;check with them first before engaging the embassy; can get costs,passport photos,etc

BTW, they give you that letter even without you asking for it

Edited by YetAnother

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If I choose to have it mailed to me, then they will hold my current passport and mail both of it together... but at this point, would I still be able to get any entry/exit stamps in the old passport or it will be cancelled already and I will just use the new passport for stamps and visas?

my situation is that I dont really need to get a new passport at this time, and wanted to apply for one in about 3 months because i still have spaces for stamps in my current book that I want to fill up to trips to Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan next month. I just have a one last full page available my Thai Visa that I will apply next month.  And I also do not plan to travel to any country that require a full page for Visa anytime soon after that like Laos, and by the time I need to get a fresh Thai visa, is when I plan on ordering the new passport for my first entry. 

7 minutes ago, acenase said:

If I choose to have it mailed to me, then they will hold my current passport and mail both of it together... but at this point, would I still be able to get any entry/exit stamps in the old passport or it will be cancelled already and I will just use the new passport for stamps and visas?

Your passport will be canceled on the day you get your new passport (holes and stamp). Either by mail or in person.

You cannot have 2 valid passports at the same time unless you request a 2nd passport.

Your new passport will be a 52 page one which should last for quite some time.

I applied for a new passport at the brand new Australian Embassy yesterday .

I was given my old passport back , intact . And told it would be cancelled when I came to collect the new one .
2 weeks ..given the date 20th Sept , told not to bother ringing , just come before noon on that date.

I was given the option of posting it to my address in Jomtien, but I chose to go up and collect it.
Not sure if they would have kept my old passport in that instance.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

So in my case , when I collect my new passport from the Embassy I should ask for this letter if it is not automatically provided ?

When I take this all in to Jomtien Immigration will they do this transfer on site, or will it be required to be sent to Bangkok ?
The reason I ask is that I hope to travel soon after receiving the new passport though I haven't booked anything yet.

10 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

I applied for a new passport at the brand new Australian Embassy yesterday .

I was given my old passport back , intact . And told it would be cancelled when I came to collect the new one .
2 weeks ..given the date 20th Sept , told not to bother ringing , just come before noon on that date.

I was given the option of posting it to my address in Jomtien, but I chose to go up and collect it.
Not sure if they would have kept my old passport in that instance.

Embassies never keep old passports (visas etc are in it).

It just becomes cancelled for travel purposes once the new one is issued.

Embassies never keep old passports (visas etc are in it).

It just becomes cancelled for travel purposes once the new one is issued.

Ok thanks ..

Well how would they physically cancel my old passport if they posted the new one to me ?
That was my insinuation.
Previous cancelled passports have had the cover corner cut off , and cancelled stamped inside.

2 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Ok thanks ..

Well how would they physically cancel my old passport if they posted the new one to me ?
That was my insinuation.
Previous cancelled passports have had the cover corner cut off , and cancelled stamped inside.

That is purely a physical attribute.

The passport is canceled on 'the system'.

Try flying  out of Thailand with it.......?

Edited by Jip99