Campaign launched to educate people about the danger posed by dengue fever

webfact

Campaign launched to educate people about the danger posed by dengue fever and how to protect oneself from the fever

By Thai PBS

1109008.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Diseases Control Department in cooperation with Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) have launched a campaign to educate the people about the danger of dengue fever and how to protect themselves from being afflicted by the diseases.

Diseases Control Department chief Dr Jesada Chokedamrongsuk said that the department had produced a booklet detailing 100 means of how to get rid of striped mosquitoes which are identified as the carrier of dengue fever.

Regarding prevention and control of the diseases, he said the public would be encouraged to practice three measures which including keeping the house tidy and breezy to prevent any part of a house to become safe haven for mosquitoes; disposing all garbage around the house to prevent them from being breeding ground for mosquitoes; and keeping all containers in place to prevent them from being used as breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/campaign-launched-educate-people-danger-posed-dengue-fever-protect-oneself-fever/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-12

One never knows (until after the fact) in Thailand whether this will be a serious, effective campaign or if this is simply a headline designed to make the boss happy. I truly hope it is the former as dengue is a nasty customer, but one which is largely preventable.

Genuine public health campaigns can be wonderful, cost-effective measures that bring wide-spread benefits to society.

I remember many years ago people were wondering if Thailand had a viable future due to the AIDS epidemic. Now you can buy condoms at the check-out of every 7-11. Many people, myself included, never thought that was possible...

Here's hoping...

Well I  have had this disease many years ago caught in Papua New Guinea. Very sick, periods of deleriousness, accompanied by hallucinations, very high fever every joint in pain and crawl to the toilet. About 5 days bedridden.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone.