Dining Ripoffs At Thai Seafood Restaurants

griser

Tourists complain of being cheated in double pricing scams

Authorities admit the problem is not new

Several complaints from foreign tourists about being ripped off at seafood restaurants during the New Year holidays have alerted the Department of Internal Trade to take action on unscrupulous businesses, officials said. According to complaints revealed by deputy director-general of the department Songklod Ubolsing, foreigners claimed they were charged 200 baht for a dish of stir-fried morning glory, while some have paid 4,500 baht for one giant prawn.

In the latest complaint, a group of 10 foreign tourists dined at a seafood restaurant, ordered a few dishes and were charged more than 45,000 baht.

The department will send its staff to inspect restaurants in tourist spots around the country, said Mr Songklod.

''Overpricing food is cheating. It's a violation of the law on product and service prices. Violators are liable to imprisonment of up to seven years or a fine of up to 140,000 baht, or both,'' he said.

Mr Songklod said it would also damage the reputation of Thailand's tourism businesses.

''If retailers continue to sell overpriced products and services to tourists, the country's image and reputation will be damaged. Word of mouth among tourists about overpriced products will cause more tourists to turn away,'' he said.

He said the department would discuss the issue with the Tourism and Sports Ministry along with other tourism and restaurant associations. However, he did not say when.

''In fact, we have to admit that some restaurant operators have been overcharging foreign tourists for a long time. We just didn't receive any complaints,'' he said.

''But at this time, tourists might not be able to afford such inflated prices.''

Some restaurants charged Thai customers lower prices than those stated on the menu, while foreign customers would be charged more. Such double standards would be addressed soon, he said.

Mr Songklod, who recently took department staff to inspect product pricing in both fresh markets and department stores in Bangkok's Bang Bon area, said commodity prices are dropping after consumer sentiment was dampened by the New Year's Eve bomb blasts in Bangkok.

''Vendors say sales have fallen significantly compared to last year as people are nervous to go out and spend money.''

Just saw this at the bangkok post. Anyone know what restaurants were involved? I'd bet my last dollar that the one accross from the Sukhumvit MRT station is one of them!!

Greg

• 1 month later...
I imagine a Farang Vice Squad - middle aged Farangs posing as tourists and testing out restaurants for rip offs.. I know lots of expats would sign up for this... :o

It would be nice if Thaivisa had something organized where punters...er..uh..good model citizens could report any restaurant rip-offs. A letter could be sent to the management of each restaurant informing them they have been marked on a scam list which is publically distributed. To remove themselves from the list they can investigate the problem and issue corrective actions with guarantees.

It's one of those things that you just know after a while here in Thailand.

Don't go to the seafood places (on Sukhumvit and vicinity) cos they're not very good and they're f***ing expensive.

I only ever go now if the company is paying, and then the bill is strictly checked by the admin.

I've also paid about 6000 for a meal at the seafood place in Lumpini Night bazaar. Another one to avoid!

It seems there is a complaints procedure, we should use it more often (and the Thais should make it easier to lodge complaints)

How are the seafood places on the street down on Samsen Road, near Khaosan. I've been past a few times but never tried them. I would expect they are cheaper, but are they still extortionate compared to other street food?

Saefood at Sukhumvit/Asoke intersection - yes, I got ripped off there once.

I had some guests with me so I didn't want to make a fuss (they knew that).

The taxi driver was paid a commission to take us there I am certain.

I pass the place often; Thai music blaring across the road, pretty girls in traditional Thai dress, and I hardly ever see any customers.........

I guess the attitude is; '140,000 Baht fine? Quick, here come some more tourists, put a few more King prawns on the barbie'.

I got ripped off at that restaurant at the Sukhumvit/Asoke intersection.

I had important visitors with me, so they knew I wouldn't make a fuss.

The taxi driver who took us there got a big commission I am certain.

I pass there regularly; loud Thai music, pretty girls in traditional Thai dresses, and never any customers....

I guess the attitude is '140,000 baht fine? here comes some tourists, quick put some more king prawns on the barbie'....

Edited by Andyfez

It's one of those things that you just know after a while here in Thailand.

Don't go to the seafood places (on Sukhumvit and vicinity) cos they're not very good and they're f***ing expensive.

I only ever go now if the company is paying, and then the bill is strictly checked by the admin.

I've also paid about 6000 for a meal at the seafood place in Lumpini Night bazaar. Another one to avoid!

It seems there is a complaints procedure, we should use it more often (and the Thais should make it easier to lodge complaints)

How are the seafood places on the street down on Samsen Road, near Khaosan. I've been past a few times but never tried them. I would expect they are cheaper, but are they still extortionate compared to other street food?

Hi there Manjara

As an answer to your query ... I regularly go to Jee Hoy's khao tom restaurant on the corner of Samsen soi 2 and the food is excellent and cheap ... last meal with the wife and a mate ... 10 prawns with garlic (goong tawt gratiem), kale with chillies (kana fie deng), crispy fish spicy salad (yam pla salit), crispy chicken with garlic (gai tawt gratiem), boiled egg yolk spicy salad (yam kai deng), boiled rice and rice soup, 4 big bottles of singha and a bottle of water .. price 850Baht for everything. :o

Youve got everything there with crab, fish and shellfish .. the settings very rustic (no frills) but don't let this deceive you as the food is authentic and great value.

Cheers DT