Prayut reaches out to Central residents

webfact

Prayut reaches out to Central residents

By THE NATION

eeb3d4b30d4635534704e10cda2f7680.jpg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha rides a tractor planting rice during his visit to the Thailand Rice Science Institute in Suphan Buri yesterday.

PM makes first visit to local politicians during trip to provinces.

FROM PLANTING RICE and meditating to lecturing citizens about elections, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha kept busy during the first day of his field visit to Suphan Buri and Ayutthaya yesterday.

The two-day trip by Prayut and his Cabinet put a focus on Thailand’s Central region, with water management at the top of the agenda during the flood season. Other issues for discussion included land-sea infrastructure connectivity, irrigation, garbage management, and rice research and development.

But the essential purpose behind the field trip was for the premier to get his feet on the ground and come face-to-face with local people from all walks of life.

The first local resident he met was the abbot from Wat Pa Lelai Worawihan, where he made merit at the start of the trip. “Whenever you get stressed, just inhale deeply and exhale 10 times,” the abbot of Suphan Buri’s sacred temple told him. “Act like a hand. You can’t have something new if you don’t let go of the old thing.”

94c7246a4363e17e3b7069305af4f6c4.jpg

Prayut abruptly replied: “But the old things are not finished. What else can I do? Also, I can’t breathe and count to 10. I can do as many as three and then I burst again. Still, I’ll keep trying,”

Later in the day, he compared Thai people with the frogs from Aesop’s fable “The Frogs who Desired a King”, warning them that in next general election, they should choose the right person and not a “stork” who would devour them. 

“I alone can’t solve everything. You have to seek your desired men or government by yourselves,” he said. “If you want the future to be full of conflict, be my guest. But being where I am now, I won’t let that happen.”

Despite his avowed aversion to politics, Prayut met with local politicians from the Chart Thai Pattana Party during a visit to the Thailand Rice Science Institute.

Among the party’s top figures in attendance were MP-turned-soccer-manager Warawut Silpa-archa, son of the late prime minister Banharn Silpa-archa, Prapat Pothasuthon, and Korawee and Paradorn Prissanananthakul.

“Not all politicians are evil,” Prapat told Prayut. “I would only ask the government to distribute some of the budget from high-speed railway projects to help farmers. As long as people’s wellbeing is sustained, you can stay for another eight or 10 years and I won’t blame you for anything.”

d0b9c2a91db5681f38fd1c9c44a1968f.jpg

Warawut added, “The election will be decided by you. We’ll just wait to play by rules.” Prayut replied, “Just don’t drag me in as a player. I’m just here as a referee to settle everything.”

At the institute, where paddy fields are available for farmers to practice techniques and develop rice breeds, the premier observed holistic rice development as well as cost-cutting production procedures. He also took a turn driving a tractor, making an impression on the field.

Because of the water supply, the Central region is well known for rice cultivation, especially of its world-class hom mali fragrant rice. But the region also suffers from flooding in the rainy season, causing damage to hundreds of rai of paddy fields each year.

Prayut also sought to create agreements between millers and farmers to expand market opportunities and support holistic practices in farming with irrigation equipment and technology.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30327065

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-19

1 hour ago, webfact said:

warning them that in next general election, they should choose the right person and not a “stork” who would devour them. 

Right. And what has the good PM done to address the education system? Where's the encouragement of critical and free thinking so people desire knowledge and can make more informed decisions? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Among the party’s top figures in attendance were MP-turned-soccer-manager Warawut Silpa-archa, son of the late prime minister Banharn Silpa-archa, Prapat Pothasuthon, and Korawee and Paradorn Prissanananthakul.

“Not all politicians are evil,” Prapat told Prayut.

i see, a politician , who are professional liars, is telling us he and his bunch are our dear friends

3 hours ago, webfact said:

I’m just here as a referee to settle everything.”

Again someone probably has not understood the facts. To my knowledge, a referee is impartial. He directs a game according to previously defined rules (in this case, law and constitution) and not according to spontaneous ideas and rules to ensure that his favored team wins the game.

33 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Joyriding PM

eeb3d4b30d4635534704e10cda2f7680.jpg

But I don't think he quite knows what he is doing

I don’t think he would be successful in this industry. Is there another debt-ridden rice farmer in the making? Not sure if the red shirts would welcome the new member.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Other issues for discussion included land-sea infrastructure connectivity, irrigation, garbage management, and rice research and development

Trying to control what he says . . . not before time

Seeing that photo of General Prayut sitting astride that rice contraption looking stupid in his immaculate business suit make me feel a little sorry for the man; not to mention the embarrassment he brings upon himself. You can bet the locals would be sniggering behind their hand.

ystract.jpeg.4ab18e13ad02fbcd6cec4af810238f70.jpegpraytract.jpg.ebbcef401aaa8a79b3eaaa072112ac34.jpg

I'm not sure who looks the most uncomfortable in their posed photos.At least Yingluck had fancy boots on, P.M. looks like he just left his desk.

Do Suphanburi farmers still wear the traditional cane hats and blue farmers shirts with orange knee boots?

Up here they look like this.farm-stay-thailand(1).jpg.ba854b1267d4b29619297bbf84535184.jpg

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just another staged photo op, he never got on that machine himself.

Some poor sods had to lift him on, look at the nice clean shoes.

A show pony without substance demonstrating concern for farmers. I suspect he is vain enough to think the locals can't see through him.

20 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

A show pony without substance demonstrating concern for farmers. I suspect he is vain enough to think the locals can't see through him.

I bet those same locals have plenty amulets in their pickups...but respecting their buddha was too much effort...that monk seems to eat well though but some paint/cement for buddha was too much.

If i was the General i would have ordered the monk to respect buddha or find another "job".

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Later in the day, he compared Thai people with the frogs from Aesop’s fable “The Frogs who Desired a King”, warning them that in next general election, they should choose the right person and not a “stork” who would devour them. 

After the frog whisperer's visit to Isan, and the unknown fate of the toad, I wouldn’t be surprised if some inhabitants of the area already left prior to the visit:

New%20friend%20250_zpsixycobea.png