Translation help

Exadius

ขอโทษเพื่อนๆนะคะที่ด่าแรง แต่ช่วงนี้ มีเปรต...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ#สงสัย “แรดไม่เคยเห็นหงส์”เลยชอบกินเผือกเป็นธรรมดา#อิงัว#กรวดน้ำวนไปจร้า

ว่างนักไง มาล้างตูดให้กูหน่อย เวลาจะขี้กูยังไม่มีเลย มึงไปเอาเวลาที่ไหนมานั่งเสือกเรื่องกูเยอะแยะ ตีห้า มึงไม่หลับไม่นอนไง ส่งข้อความงี่เง่าไร จิตหรอ ไปหาหมอมั้ย...มีตังป่าว เดี๋ยวโอนให้...ส่งเลขบัญชีมา เป็นคนที่น่าสมเพชมาก คนคนนี้...กุไหว้ล่ะ เอาเวลาเสือกไปดูแลบุพการีและชีวิตมึงก่อนดีมั้ย# ไหว้นี้เพื่อพ่อแม่มึงนะ ไม่ใช่มึง ..อิงัว#ปวดขี้มากคะ

Edited by Exadius

มาล้างตูดให้กูหน่อย เวลาจะขี้กูยังไม่มีเลย มึงไปเอาเวลาที่ไหนมานั่งเสือกเรื่องกูเยอะแยะ ตีห้า มึงไม่หลับไม่นอนไง ส่งข้อความงี่เง่าไร จิตหรอ ไปหาหมอมั้ย...มีตังป่าว เดี๋ยวโอนให้...ส่งเลขบัญชีมา เป็นคนที่น่าสมเพชมาก คนคนนี้...กุไหว้ล่ะ เอาเวลาเสือกไปดูแลบุพการีและชีวิตมึงก่อนดีมั้ย# ไหว้นี้เพื่อพ่อแม่มึงนะ ไม่ใช่มึง ..อิงัว#ปวดขี้มากคะ

I will have a go at this part-

come and wash my arse, when I  want to shit nothing comes out- you spend your time sitting and  interfering in my personal stuff a lot   you shit-how can you not sleep? sending silly posts-do you have mental problems? have you seen a doctor? Have you got any money? hang on I will transfer some   send me the account number- this person is truly pathetic    ( I am not quite sure on this next bit-กุไหว้ล่ะ- literally it means I pay respects)   better to use the time you meddle to take care of your parents and your own life-  ( I do?) for your mum and dad, not for you. ...idiot  I really want to go for a crap

Nice friend, eh?

I ignored this because I assumed that it was English to Thai.  It looks like the sort of thing that if taken to a native speaker they would advise one not to bother with it but there are meaningful words there and I wouldn't mind having a go at them. 

Firstly it is an apology to friends for a rant isn't it? Followed by the actual rant which bannork has addressed.  

I am not sure that I can understand the second part without knowing what the first part says. 

ขอโทษเพื่อน ๆ Sorry friends for making a strong criticism  but now I have a  เปรค ...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ  

เปรต is the word. There is a definition which I am not sure of how to translate.  เปรต: คำเรียกเป็นเชืง A name applied based on ด่าหรือปรามาสคนที่อดยากผอมโซ  Criticising or looking down on somebody who is starving. 

เที่ยวรบกวนขอเขากิน I wonder what เที่ยว means, could it be 'when'?  Imposing by asking them for food หรือเมือมีใครได้โชคลาภก็เข้ามาขอแบ่างปัน when someone comes into unexpected good fortune they ask for their fair share เป็นอย่างขอแบ่งส่วนบุญ guessing I would say that this says that they feel entitled  

หรือทำนองเช่นนั้น ว่า เปรตหรืออ้ายเปต or in similar cases call them เปรต or อ้ายเปรต 

I suppose all we have to do is find a word for someone like that but better, perhaps someone can make a better job of the definition. 

สัมพเวสีมา looks like the subject, either another way of saying เปรต or proper name I suppose. 

Edited by tgeezer

I will have a bash at the first part though there may well be errors!

ขอโทษเพื่อนๆนะคะที่ด่าแรง แต่ช่วงนี้ มีเปรต...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ#สงสัย “แรดไม่เคยเห็นหงส์”เลยชอบกินเผือกเป็นธรรมดา#อิงัว#กรวดน้ำวนไปจร้า

Please excuse me my friend that I speak so harshly. But at the moment there is an idiot ( a hungry tall ghost) - unable to be born, wandering around (สัมพเวสี- should be spelled สัมภเวสี) asking for a lot of merit/good karma - "I think the rhino has never seen the swan" and likes to eat taro daily ( this can lead to ulcers in the mouth)--idiot-  start the water pouring ceremony for the deceased.....

Well done bannork.  isn't เพื่อน ๆ plural? 

I try to understand the definitions of เปรต สัมภเวสี which is a test because they exist in another world, Lexitron's sources don't appear to be able to offer English for them either so I have to try to understand the Thai. 

There are two definitions for เปรต I took the second because in this piece it is not being used literally. However it is moot in that, can a creature born in อุบาย, one of such places being roughly equivalent to 'hell' or in the case of สัมภเวสี, maybe 'purgatory', ever be taken literally? So you have chosen 'idiot' which I am not sure would be recognisable to a Thai. อีงัว as a derogatory non literal name is definitely the word used later though and we agree I think that they are one in the same as the subject.  I favour sticking to the Thai word: 'Pradte' and for สัมภเวสี 'He' . 

แรดไม่เคยเห็นหงส์-  the rhino has never seen the swan -  is contrasting the behaviour I think. The meddling person is the rhino, rude, devoid of manners whilst she, the writer is the graceful swan.

And you are right tgeezer, , she is complaining to many friends, not only one.

เปรด is often a term of abuse -ไอ้ปรต somewhat like หมั่นไส้    there are so many words in English to describe someone who annoys us or worse, 

เด็กเปรต- a brat     

31 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I think that เด็กเปรต sounds suspiciously like 'brat' and diminishes the value of เปรต which is supposed to be a very bad thing to call somebody, not an adjective.
I suppose that is how language changes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

brat as in at  (UK pronunciation ) does not sound anything like brayt เปรต  ,  of course we could change brat to little shit, a maggot, punk, etc

brat as in at  (UK pronunciation ) does not sound anything like brayt เปรต  ,  of course we could change brat to little shit, a maggot, punk, etc

I realise that the sound is different but are people saying เด็กเปรต ? My dictionary is old and doesn't have it.

Bannork nailed the translation. Both เปรต and สัมภเวสี refer to ghost or spirit.  Anyway, I find the female Thai teenager who wrote that post sarcastic and funny in some way, especially the first part of her message.

Are they one post? I wouldn't say that the translatioon was nailed, เปรต is translated as idiot.

I posted the definition of เปรต can you translate that for us?

เปรต and สัมภเวสี simply mean ghost. You might ask, "Why not use ผี?" It all boils down to your belief. For those superstitious, there are different types of ghosts. เปรต is just one of them. If you think that all these classifications of ghosts are nonsense, then it wouldn't make sense to you.

แต่ช่วงนี้ มีเปรต...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ  In this sentence, she is being sarcastic/funny by saying that there are ghosts and spirits asking her for lots of merits.

I don't get what you meant by "Are they one post?"

The first appears to be addressed to friends and the second is to มึง .

My understanding is that when people are referred to as เปรต it is not to be taken literally, the RID provides an explanation for the type of person who might be called เปรต. ผี might well have been used, apparently คนผี ๆ means คนเลว
Foir these reasons I don't agree with you that 'idiot' "nails it".

I compare Buddhist belief in rebirth analagous to Christian belief in Heaven, both เปรต and สัมภเวสี are yet to be reborn which would be roughly equivalent to being in purgatory I think. I have heard people say "it was purgatory" they can't mean that literally, I take it to mean that they suffered.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

tgeezer, I was confused about what you wrote in your last post. I remembered that Bannork translated that word as ghost and not idiot. Then, I read it again and I understand why now. To summarise, เปรต means ghost for simplicity sake.

The first part of the message is probably from twitter and the second part from Facebook. Or it could be two separate facebook posts.

ขอโทษเพื่อนๆนะคะที่ด่าแรง

แต่ช่วงนี้ มีเปรต...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ

#สงสัย “แรดไม่เคยเห็นหงส์”เลยชอบกินเผือกเป็นธรรมดา I guess the bitch has never seen an angel before, that's why she wants to know everything. This part won't make sense if you do a direct translation.

#อิงัว - Idiot.

#กรวดน้ำวนไปจร้า action in relation to แต่ช่วงนี้ มีเปรต...สัมพเวสีมาขอส่วนบุญเยอะคะ

**Note: take note of the hash tag as well.

Edited by DiveDove

Oh! You have me with 'hashtag' in that case I have to defer to you because I don't know its significance. I seem to be lacking in modern idioms as well as the cultural. background of the writer. I simply wanted to understand เปรต at the outset and it seems likely that she has a completely different understanding of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks bannork. I think that the reference does show that เปรต has lost its meaning and is now just word used to denigrate.  I withdraw my remark about not nailing the translaton with 'idiot', any word would do .  ( excuise the italics, I can't be buggered to find out why!) 

I am interested in the development of language and เปรต  as a noun in the initial post is obvious and in เด็กเปรต its task is not so obvious, it appears to be a noun "child devil" which we could say is "devilish child"  and make that into an adjective which Thai is not capable of showing.  

The Pantip letter is very interesting and could be made the basis of a discussion on translation which I would find interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...