Police seek info on alleged US paedophile working as teacher

Jonathan Fairfield

Police seek info on alleged US paedophile working as teacher

n1.jpeg

Police are investigating widespread reports that an American man who was charged with multiple instances of child sexual abuse had escaped to Thailand and used a fake identity to work as an English teacher in Khon Kaen and Rayong provinces for years.

Pol General Pongrit Kongsirisombat, provincial police commander, said he wanted to be sure of the accuracy of the reports. Pongrit was responding to reports that went viral on social media about the whereabouts of Jackson Mathew Hall, 26, who was reportedly charged in the US over several alleged child sex assaults. Social media conversations claimed that Hall is now in Thailand and working as a teacher under a false name.

Citing the need to protect children, Bangkok-based Friends of Women Foundation is leading the campaign to find Hall, who it said was using the name Tyler Smith.

n2.jpeg

The Foundation urged in its Facebook page for anyone who spotted Hall to report him to police.  According to US online Texas newspaper myStatesman, Hall is from Alabama, where he faced charges in both Cullman and Madison counties when he fled the United States. A Cullman County assistant district attorney in Huntsville said that Hall faked his own death to escape the charges. Hall came to the attention of Thailand’s authorities in March, when the family of a woman named Nittaya Polseepim reported her missing and she was taking a man, who called himself Tyler Smith, to a teaching job in Rayong. 

“It is believed that Smith is really Hall, according to the Biriram Times,” wrote myStateman online. “Polseepim, who was reportedly in a relationship with Smith, may be helping him evade arrest, Thai Visa online site reported.” 

Nittaya’s family is concerned for her safety. The missing woman’s ex-husband, South African resident Darron Beetge, also posted several photos of a man who looks like Hall on Facebook last month. In the post, he called Hall an “American pedo fugitive”. Beetege wrote that he got a message from the police that they believe that he may be using copies of another teacher’s documents. The online myStatesman wrote: “Hall was indicted in November 2014 in Cullman County on charges of first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy, the Cullman Times said. 

Those charges stem from the alleged sexual assault of his girlfriend’s 5-year-old daughter.” “His bond on those charges was revoked in April 2015 after he was accused of exposing himself to a delivery woman in Morgan County,” myStatesman reported.  Hall was freed from jail the following June when he was indicted in Madison County on an aggravated child abuse charge for allegedly hitting a child, reported the Cullman Times.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30327444

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-23

49 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

whether found and caught and extradited or not, these stories do reflect badly on the image of expats here by the thai publiuc

To me they reflect even worse on the vetting processes in the education system. Or the moral responsibilities and vetting systems of the various agencies providing teachers to these establishments.

If you read the original story, he is an alleged Paedo, although arrested has not as yet been found guilty in a Court of law. The fact he escaped from custody / bail, , now that is an offence immediately arrestable , BUT for the offences of being a Paedo, he is NOT YET convicted .

true the offence if any or possible kidnapping a girl here and also possible disposal is worrying.

We all to quickly brand someone who has as yet not been convicted. Thai Law would keep them locked up awaiting a trial and the subsequent Police investigation , no matter how long that takes, Western law allows for bail if grounds are met.

I hope they catch this SOB SOON!  He never should have been released on bond in the first place.  

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Can the reputation of expats get any lower?

I haven't experienced any discrimination although I'm almost always with my Thai wife of 22 years everywhere we go and most of the locals around here know me and like me as far as I can tell.  I find Thai people to be quite friendly.  

I hope they catch this SOB SOON!  They never should have released a damn paedophile on bond in the first place he should still be locked up in the United States, POS.  I hope he ends up spending the rest of his life in a Thai prison.  I don't understand how he got out of the States in the first place if he was charged with such serious felonies almost THREE YEARS AGO and if they thought he was dead!  His passport should have been flagged and this guy doesn't look like he'd be smart enough to get a fake passport.  Just coming to Thailand as a fugitive in the first place is stupid because they MOST DEFINITELY CATCH FUGITIVES HERE!  

I thought they required teachers to provide FBI background checks from the States.  When I was first getting ready to retire here before I found out that my pension was going to be way more than I need to live here I considered becoming an English Teacher and I had to provide a sealed FBI background check on myself, one that's almost impossible to forge.  As soon as I found out my full pension rating I decided not to be a teacher because I don't have to work ever again.  I'm SO GLAD I didn't take that job because living here as an English Teacher would have sucked bad they barely get paid anything.  Plus I have a lot of medical problems and I don't think I could have done it anyway part of the reason why I get paid so well.  And it's nice being able to live up in my wife's hometown.  

Anyway I always thought that these foreign English Teachers were VERY THOROUGHLY investigated before even being allowed to attend the TESOL Course.  I know I was but I ended up turning down the job anyway once I found out how much my pension rating is.  On my pension we live like royalty here and I still actually save money.  Although I'm retired US military after 22 years of service with A LOT of injuries so I got a 100% total combined rating which is permanent.  Anyway if I see this <deleted> first they won't have to worry about arresting him, I hope I don't run into him I hate people like this.  I probably wouldn't take it that far because I like my freedom but I'd probably put his ass in the hospital for quite a while.  I absolutely despise anyone who would do something like that to a child.  

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

whether found and caught and extradited or not, these stories do reflect badly on the image of expats here by the thai publiuc

And considering most child abusers here are actually Thai, goodness knows what they think of each other, eh...

7 minutes ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

He is a suspect, not a convicted criminal.  Does this makes a difference in Thailand???

Well he faked his own death and fled the country that sounds pretty incriminating to me then again I agree you can't believe everything you read.  I guess it's possible he could be innocent but I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.  Regardless convicted or not he's still a fugitive wanted for major felonies so they have to find him.  

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And considering most child abusers here are actually Thai, goodness knows what they think of each other, eh...

There are sick people like that all over the world.  Afghanistan was the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the world, over there molesting a child is literally part of their culture.  I knew a guy from Special Forces who almost got kicked out of the Army for beating the hell out of an Afghan Police Chief who was molesting a little boy and his mother reported it to the team.  

Then the Afghan police chief beat the boy's mother when he found out that she reported it.  Then the Special Forces Team Sergeant went and saw him again.  When the Team Sergeant confronted the Afghan police chief he laughed about it and the Special Forces Team Sergeant KICKED HIS ASS!  They tried to kick him out of the Army but luckily his story made the national news which saved his career because he was just standing up for a helpless child and his mother.  That story really angered me.  Not all Afghan men molest children but it goes on over there a lot to much in fact.  

i believe every foreigner should need to produce police report from home country when  entering thailand .

this should keep scumbags out and satisfy the police and the thai people ! 

maybe not tourists on a few weeks trip but definately long term visa applicants  of more than the 30 days ! 

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

If you read the original story, he is an alleged Paedo, although arrested has not as yet been found guilty in a Court of law. The fact he escaped from custody / bail, , now that is an offence immediately arrestable , BUT for the offences of being a Paedo, he is NOT YET convicted .

true the offence if any or possible kidnapping a girl here and also possible disposal is worrying.

We all to quickly brand someone who has as yet not been convicted. Thai Law would keep them locked up awaiting a trial and the subsequent Police investigation , no matter how long that takes, Western law allows for bail if grounds are met.

Incorrect. He has already been convicted on other child rape charges in the past. 

On 9/23/2017 at 12:23 AM, Bluespunk said:

That's like saying most child abusers in the US are actually Americans.

Bet there are more Western child abusers in Thailand than there are Thai child abusers in any Western country, though.

9 minutes ago, copa8 said:

That's like saying most child abusers in the US are actually Americans.

Bet there are more Western child abusers in Thailand than there are Thai child abusers in any Western country, though.

Not the point, I was making. 

I dont judge whole whole nations on the basis of the actions of one piece of filth. 

Edited by Bluespunk

• 1 month later...

This horrible incident makes me wonder if any agency in Thailand does  background checks on all of the men applying for teaching posts in Thailand. Seems finger printing and sending to the FBI would be the first order of business before letting these child rapists even set foot on school grounds.