Gprs & Internet

valentinoxxx

If I don't want to connect my mobile telephone to the computer for internet access, what other options do I have?

A data card? Wireless Modem? Are they one and the same?

How much would such a thing cost in Bangkok or Pattaya?

Lastly, is there someone you know in Pattaya with the knowledge to configure such a thing?

It'll be connected via One2Call/AIS.

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a Sierra Wireless card from a Fujitsu dealer and had him make it operational a year ago.

All he did was plug the card into a slot in the side of my three year old Dell laptop and take me to the AIS office that issued a SIM card to insert into the wireless card. I can receive and make telephone calls while on the internet through the Sierra wirelss software that comes with the card. When actively down loading file, I don't think I can receive calls, but messages are taken by the software and I can make call backs. Likewise, missed calls are recorded.

I am billed monthly at a flat rate of 850 baht with virtually unlimited use.

Any other questions about my setup, PM me.

OK you have got me hooked.

How much did the wireless card cost

The SIM card was about 900b was it.?

Can you expand on virtually unlimited, does this mean the limit is high

and you have not exceeded it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

You can either get a card that plugs directly into your laptop card slot or a GPRS modem that plugs into the computer (I think USB), which is more or less the same idea. Either of these give your laptop / computer GPRS capability directly, no phone required. The downside is they are fairly expensive - I think the Aircard is about 17,000 baht, and I saw a GPRS modem a couple of weeks ago for about 9,000 baht.

Alternatively you can buy an internet sim card for your mobile phone. This is a lot cheaper (1,200 baht from AIS) but you have to connect the phone (must be GPRS enabled) to your computer via a data cable or by bluetooth.

Regardless of what you do, you also have to pay a monthly subscription fee. I think the internet sim is about 1,200 baht / month, and about 850 baht for card/modems.

One other thing to look out for: AIS has just changed its billing scheme to time-based charging (it used to be data-based charging). If you tend to surf the web or suck down huge amounts of data very quickly, this is a good thing. However, if you want continuous access for instant messaging purposes (which was the whole idea of GPRS really) it totally sucks.

Under data-based charging there were quotas of about 400MB per month, and you paid extra if you used more. I don't know if these quotas still exist under the time-based charging. Would be worth finding out before you sign up.

Regards

Crushdepth.