S/E Asia Tour.

Lickey

Thinking about taking our bikes Yam Fino's across Nong Khia bridge into Laos and onto Vietnam in December,

Mrs tells me no problem as long as we have owner book and bikes have number plates,I think you can but only on the back of a pick-up?

And the Laos-Vietnam border is ok for Thai bikes?

Thanks Lickey..

Read this....

https://www.thegtrider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

I have read that small engine bikes can't cross on the bridge at Nong Khai, but i have crossed back from Laos on the bridge on my PCX. Other crossing may be ok. Although i have heard otherwise get your green book translated, very cheap.

Vietnam you can't take a Thai register bike into. If you want to tour there fly there and rent a good quality bike. Remember in the North in the mountains it gets very cold in the winter months, now is an ideal time to travel as the rice is ripening.

My trip last year....

I just went to Laos 2 weeks ago, crossing at Nong Khai with my Honda PCX. Green book has to be in your / your wife's name. You can drive over by yourself, that's no problem.

As far as i know you can not enter Vietnam with a Thai bike, but never tried to do it by myself.

For taking the bike into Laos you have to pay 25000LAK (about 100THB), if you don't have LAK they will ask you for 300THB, so better change some money before you go to the "car import" booth on the Laos side.

Edited by jackdd

Ok people,thanks for the info,looks like Vietnam is out. Its just that 2 UK friends last Dec bought 2 110cc Honda's in Ho Che Minh, came up through Cambodia,into Laos [for a few dollars at the borders] and got no further than Friendship bridge.Parked them at a hotel,rented 2 bikes in NK and stayed with us for a week,took the bikes back,collected Viet bikes and Xmas in Hanoi, shipped the bikes back to Ho Che Minh and got 80% of money back,so not a bad deal..      We were just a bit jealous and would like to go to Hanoi for Xmas which was great aparantley!! 

Time for a re-think,got to be on bikes though!!   Thanks all,Lickey..