Something You May Not Know

Gonzo the Face

I was emailed this morning by a friend of something I was not aware of.  She tried 2 times here at the CM Chinese Consulate to get  a visa for China.  She seemed to be getting the run a round and was finally told she would have to do it at the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok.  For the record she is not just some fly by night ner-do-well, but rather a published Phd. and does research on various tribal cultures.   In Bangkok she was informed that she would be unable to get a Visa in Thailand as she was not a resident of Thailand.   What ?????  Does China maintain that the only place you are able to get a Chinese Visa is in your own country???  She is on her way to Japan and hopes to be successful there.

Has anyone ever heard or know about this visa restriction?

Never had this problem at the Chinese Consulate in Chiang Mai before. The visa fee was always high as I'm a US citizen and I'm pretty sure the fee was reciprocal. It has been a while since I did this as now US citizens can obtain a 10 year business visa to China.

Grin

This is typical China, visas are often restricted or even refused if a political event is around the corner. On the 18th this month the 2017 Chinese communist convention takes place.

the same restrictions were put into place for the G7 conference and also for the world internet convention, both within the last two years.

taking the above into account, it would not surprise me if all the Chinese Consulates are singing from the same song sheet.

8 hours ago, DipStick said:

This is typical China, visas are often restricted or even refused if a political event is around the corner. On the 18th this month the 2017 Chinese communist convention takes place.

the same restrictions were put into place for the G7 conference and also for the world internet convention, both within the last two years.

taking the above into account, it would not surprise me if all the Chinese Consulates are singing from the same song sheet.

I was unable to get a visa right before the olympics.

Didn't have a problem in CM - my application was immediately accepted but my now Thai-ex needed to return a second time with additional information (proof of work) which she did and got the visa.

We were traveling to a "sensitive" part of China as well - Shangri La, the Yunnan side of Tibet. We did, however, get a rather interesting booklet along with the visa that explained (in English) why Tibet belongs to China and always has done :)

I received a Chinese visa there two times. but I have not tried in a couple years. My company now uses a fixer at a Chinese consulate on a Pacific island. Here is how it went "You have to go to Bangkok". Japanese people and others are in the lobby filling out application. Well how is it my friend got a visa here recently ? Application handed out, visa by next day

Next time. "Go to your country and apply(USA)". Well I got one here two years ago has your policy changed? "You have to speak to the Consul/Officer, please wait a minute". The lady was as pleasant as can be, highlighted a few places on the huge application told me ignore rest and sign.  Told me she had been posted to an San Francisco before. Next day visa again available.

The girls at the window appear to be Thai University Students or interns. They must be trained to always say "Cannot". Makes sense but most Consulates provide the services they are regulated to offer or how can they get more funding and resources if they have no work to do shuffling visa applicants off to other offices? Maybe the counter girls are lazy?

Edited by Dipterocarp