Stupid Australian Visa rule

This is just a small rant. Took the GF to Australia last year, had the biometrics taken and no problem with the visa that was issued quickly.

Just applied for another Tourist Visa and they want another set of biometrics. In this digital age it is easy to store and recall digital information as the website says:

Safekeeping and use of biometric data

Facial images and fingerprint scans are kept on secure departmental databases. Only authorised officers under the Migration Act 1958 (the Act) as regulated by the Privacy Act 1988, can access the biometrics of applicants.

Why would they need a duplicate copy when travelling on the same passport within one year. If it was a different passport or years between the visas you could understand, but not within one year.

It hurts to know that Australia is so stupid.

First off, I'm not Australian :smile:

I understand the frustration and it does seem a bit stupid on face value, however, a bit of research revealed that the original biometric data may not have been retained once the visa was issued and used, due to the principles that are contained in the Privacy Act 1988.

That Act provides that, where personal information is no longer needed for any purpose for which it may have been used or disclosed, the relevant entity must take such steps, as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy the information, or to ensure that the information is de‑identified.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

My guess:

Either they don't keep biometrics stored for a few years (unluckily) or they use it to match the new prints against those in the database to verify you are the same person as last time (fearing that maybe an evil look alike will travel the second time around? Though as long as you don't need to pass a biometrix control at the border that would be pretty damn useless red tape).

• Like 1

Mattd

You are very optomistic of the data that is kept or not kept. As they can share the info with restricted other governments I must doubt that they would destroy it. As for the privacy issue I again doubt that they have no records on me, biometric or otherwise.