Vegetable contamination check for the Vegetarian Festival

webfact

Vegetable contamination check for the Vegetarian Festival

"The vegetables and fruits sold in Phuket markets usually come from other provinces and we will ask the wholesalers and retailers to identify the source of each product by putting a QR Code to ensure the safety of the product.”

By Nattha Thepbamrung and Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_1815.jpg

Phuket’s Governor, together with the Phuket Mayor, visited Banzan fresh market in Patong today (October 11) to check for any contamination of fresh vegetable and fruits before this year’s Vegetarian Festival.

“The Vegetarian Festival starts from October 20 – 28 and there will be a lot more people consuming vegetables and fruits during the festival. These products can be contaminated by herbicide and insecticide. We have monitored the product along the year and we visited the market today to help create trust among locals and foreign consumers,” said the Governor.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/vegetable-contamination-check-vegetarian-festival

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-10-11

In the article : "found 174 of the samples were contaminated with phosphate and carbamate, which are the residues from insecticide. However, 99.42% of the whole samples were safe from insecticides."

So 174 is 0,58 % ... means they have tested 30.000 samples . Mmm , sure .

"putting a QR Code to ensure the safety of the product"   Oh yes that will ensure the safety !:sleep:

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

In the article : "found 174 of the samples were contaminated with phosphate and carbamate, which are the residues from insecticide. However, 99.42% of the whole samples were safe from insecticides."

"putting a QR Code to ensure the safety of the product"   Oh yes that will ensure the safety !:sleep:

I thought exactly the same.
And never believe this.
These two figures make the whole statement completely implausible.

Edited by rebo

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Thai math strikes again!!!!  And it often seems to rear its ugly head any time the subject being reported on is contamination of food or water, and the ensuing worthless/useless reporting of the test results.

Sure glad we have experienced journalists on the watch who can prepare and publish such reports, seemingly unaware that what they're reporting is totally incomprehensible.

And while they're at it it would be nice to see fruit and veg being priced in these markets. I refuse to go to markets where there are no price stickers and you are charged by how you look or where they think you've come from  :angry:

It would also be nice to know if there are any official weights and measures inspector's as most of the weighing machines look like they're falling to bits.

100% Bullshit. Thailand has no laboratories to check for all chemicals, the Central Lab in Bangkok can just check for around 50 chemicals, but the farmers use up to 1000 different products. Near 100% of all fruits and vegetables have high pesticide residues including the "organic". So always washing, washing, washing...

Edited by geistfunke

18 hours ago, geistfunke said:

100% Bullshit. Thailand has no laboratories to check for all chemicals, the Central Lab in Bangkok can just check for around 50 chemicals, but the farmers use up to 1000 different products. Near 100% of all fruits and vegetables have high pesticide residues including the "organic". So always washing, washing, washing...

Thanks for the details, but how do you wash ?

I do not believe that any washing can clean the poison inside the vegs. And what is left outside ? Almost nothing ! So for me washing is plain BS.

6 hours ago, dpdp said:

Thanks for the details, but how do you wash ?

I do not believe that any washing can clean the poison inside the vegs. And what is left outside ? Almost nothing ! So for me washing is plain BS.

It's my business fruit & vegetables, so I know what I am talking. Thailand does not use many systemic pesticides, so the main load of chemicals is outside. If you are washing with vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid or ozon you can reduce the outside (sticking) pesticides by 50-90%, but up to you... ;-)

On 10/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, dpdp said:

Checking by just looking at the vegs ? What a champion !

Their mere presence in the market would reduce all pesticides on fruits and vegetables by about 95 percent. You missus would be lucky to buy vegetable that day when they visit the market.

If you visit the farms you will see small plot of land with vegetables that the farmers grow for their own consumption these are the ones that have no pesticides or herbicides.

Some farmers appear like space cosmonauts when they wear protective plastic covering and face masks to spray those chemicals. Otherwise they will itch all over the body and may die from cancer. Of course they know about the cancer from chemicals.

Government is not interested if you die from cancer, they are too busy making ends meet, their children need to go to private tuitions, their wives need to go to Hongkong to do some shopping and at same time visit the coiffeur there. They just don't have time for anybody. Oh, they need the check the share prices today. Oh lucky day gone up by 3 cents. High tea at which hotel? See how busy they are.

• 2 months later...