Why Few Thai Women Are Saying #MeToo

snoop1130

Why Few Thai Women Are Saying #MeToo

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

pexels-photo-271418-1068x713.jpeg

BANGKOK — As women the world over say #MeToo and share stories of sexual harassment on social media to show how widespread the experience is, the campaign has barely made a ripple in Thailand.

While millions of people, largely in the West, have tagged posts #MeToo in the wake of the furor over allegations of sexual harassment against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, activists in Thailand cite different social mores and a lack of leadership on the issue.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/10/18/fewer-thai-women-saying-metoo/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-18

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Thailand still grapples with a victim-blaming culture in which victims of rape or sexual harassment are blamed for what they wear or where they go. This mindset remains fixed in society at large.

Jaded, who campaigns extensively on women’s rights, said these beliefs must change.

“The myth that blames victims for calling for attention or dress in overly revealing clothes should be changed,"

Evident from the top down and across forums discussing such issues...

First, to anticipate any unnecessary comments,  no way myself (or anybody I assume), approves sexual harassment.

But there is a large gap between the discreet, hardworking and respected lady at her work place getting bugged for sexual favors by a frustrated pervert who is usually a co-worker or a superior.....

.....and  the female who is a seducer, flirts and provokes or sleeps with her superiors or fellow collegues to acheive certain goals, and ultimately despises and claims sexual harassment if her goals are not attained....   Unfortunately such dynamics much to often caracterise certain ambitious western or asian females.

Consequently, one again the less virtuous discredit the whole issue.....

Edited by observer90210

And what to say about that busty skinny clad girl in the dance club here the other night, who started giving me provocative looks and smiles and every now and then,

rubbing on me on the dance floor when I was looking at other chicks.....but when I tried to chat her up, she frowned, looked the other way and ran off......now is that also not a form of sexual harassment ?  :partytime2::cheesy:

53 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

First, to anticipate any unnecessary comments,  no way myself (or anybody I assume), approves sexual harassment.

But there is a large gap between the discreet, hardworking and respected lady at her work place getting bugged for sexual favors by a frustrated pervert who is usually a co-worker or a superior.....

.....and  the female who is a seducer, flirts and provokes or sleeps with her superiors or fellow collegues to acheive certain goals, and ultimately despises and claims sexual harassment if her goals are not attained....   Unfortunately such dynamics much to often caracterise certain ambitious western or asian females.

You may not approve of sexual harassment but you certainly know how to paint a picture that blames women. 

27 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I know how women feel....I was in a GoGo bar and a dancer sat next to me and grabbed my crotch and said O whats this with a smile on her face...

I felt so cheap and victimized..

I to,   have been violated in this way and much, much  more done.

Way to disgusting to talk about on Tv.

i feel ashamed and dirty of what was done to me. :smile:

Edited by stanleycoin

35 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You may not approve of sexual harassment but you certainly know how to paint a picture that blames women. 

Well, if it's wrong to blame (some) women, it must be wrong to blame (some) men.

It's not like women are all angels, is it ?

22 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, if it's wrong to blame (some) women, it must be wrong to blame (some) men.

It's not like women are all angels, is it ?

Ah yes, blame the women on a thread about how a culture of victim blaming makes women afraid to report predatory scum who sexually harass them. 

Deary, deary me...

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah yes, blame the women on a thread about how a victim blaming culture makes women afraid to report predatory scum who sexually harass them. 

Deary, deary me...

I am not blaming the victims of sexual harassment, i am blaming the hypocrisy of some women.

I have no sympathy for predators, my point is that women have power , and some of them are predators. Like it or not..

Thai women are mostly saying: 'up to you', ...as long as the money follows!

The rest is BS to me, no saints, no more than the ladies from the countries we come from.

Basically less 'expensive', because of the local standards, compared to that of our home countries, ...at least until they have been able to evaluate the depth of our pocket.

We are all wealthy, in their simple dreams, plus because of the stupid bragging of many of us men here, and should, all, have a, large, ATM tatooed on our forehead!

Mind you, nothing better to expect from other countries of origin, Philippines, Cuba, Russia, et al, you name it, what d'you expect? You're 50, or 70, the dame is 25 or 30, and you expect her to 'love' you,  your, decayed' body and, stiff, mind?

Get a grip on yourself (well, erm...)! LOL 

15 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I am not blaming the victims of sexual harassment, i am blaming the hypocrisy of some women.

I have no sympathy for predators, my point is that women have power , and some of them are predators. Like it or not..

I didn’t say you were. 

You are however giving credence to the distraction tactics of those who would take the thread in a direction that tries to play down the seriousness of sexual harassment and makes bogus claims about the frequency woman make up such claims. 

And as to those trying to relate their visits to gogo  bar/brothels to the trauma suffered by women suffering sexual harassment... sigh

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Sigh, sorry, basic, big mistake, the lady in your second paragraph, to me, is often the one in your thirth paragraph, outside of the 'office hours', ...or just during the tea/lunch break. As a parody on the advertising of a now disappeared (good quality, low price) Scotch whisky here, quite macho, but reversible: great girls, no rules!

Edited by bangrak

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah yes, blame the women on a thread about how a culture of victim blaming makes women afraid to report predatory scum who sexually harass them. 

Deary, deary me...

'Bluespunk', I was with you on many topics in the last years, but it, alas, seems you're getting old, and stiff, except... Please don't become boring!

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I didn’t say you were. 

You are however giving credence to the distraction tactics of those who would take the thread in a direction that tries to play down the seriousness of sexual harassment and makes bogus claims about the frequency woman make up such claims. 

And as to those is trying to relate their visits to gogo  bar/brothels to the trauma suffered by women suffering sexual harassment...pathetic. 

Right, but it's not fair to blame the men all the time, that would be reverse sexism.

If nature gave men brutal force, it gifted women with something else.

It's up to the individual to use, misuse or abuse their power.

It seems to me that in a lot of these cases ladies gave sexual favours to an unattractive man in order to progress their careers and earn more money. Are those ladies any better than the 'working' ladies of Thailand who get so much criticism on TV? I'd argue the actresses come from considerably wealthier / less desperate backgrounds than the Thai's, which perhaps makes them worse.

I'm not condoning any of the serious non-consensual assaults of course.

20 minutes ago, bangrak said:

'Bluespunk', I was with you on many topics in the last years, but it, alas, seems you're getting old, and stiff, except... Please don't become boring!

You can’t have been paying attention. My views on the scum who sexually harass others have been very clear for many a year. 

5 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Every heard of the Draconian CCA? Make a complaint here and you are the one who ends up in court on defamation charges

now you know why THAILAND LADIES DON'T MAKE COMPLAINTS TO THE POLICE

Has anyone in Thailand ever been prosecuted for making a compliant to the Police ?

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Right, but it's not fair to blame the men all the time, that would be reverse sexism.

If nature gave men brutal force, it gifted women with something else.

It's up to the individual to use, misuse or abuse their power.

I really doubt that the vast majority of allegations of sexual harassment are based in anything except the truth. 

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It seems to me that in a lot of these cases ladies gave sexual favours to an unattractive man in order to progress their careers and earn more money. Are those ladies any better than the 'working' ladies of Thailand who get so much criticism on TV? I'd argue the actresses come from considerably wealthier / less desperate backgrounds than the Thai's, which perhaps makes them worse.

I think you are quite right, but i think there are the same dynamics at play in every country, and in every work place.

The same thing going on since the dawn of the world.

women sure are funny....truth is they don't mind a good looking stranger coming on to them....they just develop all these sexual harassment vibes if they don't like the guys looks. moral for guys is: test the water lightly, if it's not welcoming, move on in a hurry and don't return for a retest.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I really doubt that the vast majority of allegations of sexual harassment are based in anything except the truth. 

Well, i agree on that, it must be hard for any woman to report on that stuff.

22 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What a load of <deleted> you know nothing , Many women get told if you dont have sex with the Factory boss/Forman , they are sacked, And usualy the female is the only working person in the family , I know from first hand how Thai women are told they are to old at the age of 30, its hard enough to get a job a a female in Thailand, so losing one is not an option.

My  wife's brother  got picked up from the streets,  a long while ago,They tried to plant yabba on him , My wife went to talk to the police about his arrest, The  Police station commander offered to let him go if she would have sex with him, She made a call to her superior, as she worked for the Bangkok police, Her brother was released immediately, but for years she had to watch her back, So you dont really get any protection if you complain to the police, Only if you are in the know or got big money. which i thought was common knowledge on Thai Visa.