CAMPING in and around Pattaya?

mglaser

Hi,

I apologize if this post is in the wrong subtopic (haven't figured these threads out yet).  Is anyone aware of places where you can go camping in or around Pattaya?  I prefer somewhere close to the ocean/water, wooded area, where I can set up a tent.  I want to ensure wherever it is will be safe for my family and it will be acceptable/legal to do so.  I actually live in Ban Chang, so I'm wondering about Sattahip perhaps??

Thanks! 

Edited by mglaser

Maybe investigate had sai Kaew on the navy base.

I think it is pretty quiet after the crowds go home, and I imagine it is possible, but investigate before you go. It is on a navy base, so take some ID

Edited by eddie61

I've seen very few places to camp here in Thailand.  Most I've seen are up north.  Never seen any here on the East coast.  Why?  It's too crowded and too hot!  Have you tried a tent yet?  Outside the cool season, it's miserable! LOL

Be careful if you try to camp on the beach in some random area.

5 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

Maybe investigate had sai Kara on the navy base.

I think it is pretty quiet after the crowds go home, and I imagine it is possible, but investigate before you go. It is on a navy base, so take some ID

No way would they allow you to stay overnight in a tent on their beach.  There are some rooms you can rent there.  If the OP does try, let the guards at the gate know exactly what you are trying to do. 

Do you realize how many National Parks there are in Thailand?  Where you can camp?

But you want to camp out in a giant whorehouse, I mean golf course.  That's right.  Everyone goes to Pattaya to play "golf".  Of course.

And golf courses are great places to camp out.  Sure.  Gotcha. ?

Plenty of places over the dark side by the lake. But, you will need to surround your tent etc with barbed wire, have booby traps, 1 or 2 machine guns SOS FLARES. And 3-4 bloody big killer dogs. Be like playing Russion Roulette. Get a cheap room/s and go for a day camping but NOT stay over night. The Police could find all your body's later buried some where.

best of luck.

No problem camping on the beach in Pattaya.

Lose half your bodyweight, grow a beard, cover yourself with s*** and sores, stretch out on a bit of old cardboard.

You'll blend in perfectly and have an untroubled nights rest.

Edited by Enoon

7 hours ago, eddie61 said:

Maybe investigate had sai Kaew on the navy base.

Farangs are kicked out 6pm. Says so on the signs when you go there.

I'd suggest sucking it up, find a 400 baht room and call it camping.  Love the concept, but I don't think most of Thailand is ready.   Besides, I want 4 walls and a locked door between me and the locals when I'm sleeping.

When you can rent a room as cheap as you can in most of Thailand, and a tent becomes (and stays) a sauna until the wee hours, I can't see well designed, nicely constructed, securely operated campsite being profitable.  There's probably room for them in the North where the weather's more conducive and there's building restrictions close to the POI's, but just as soon as the neighbors see someone has set up a successful one, he'll find himself competing with every farmer who's tired of pounding sod to make 3,000 baht a month...

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd suggest sucking it up, find a 400 baht room and call it camping.  Love the concept, but I don't think most of Thailand is ready.   Besides, I want 4 walls and a locked door between me and the locals when I'm sleeping.

When you can rent a room as cheap as you can in most of Thailand, and a tent becomes (and stays) a sauna until the wee hours, I can't see well designed, nicely constructed, securely operated campsite being profitable.  There's probably room for them in the North where the weather's more conducive and there's building restrictions close to the POI's, but just as soon as the neighbors see someone has set up a successful one, he'll find himself competing with every farmer who's tired of pounding sod to make 3,000 baht a month...

I camped on the beach about 10 years ago.  Never again.  Even on the beach, it was miserable all night.  Forget even trying to go inside during the day. LOL

52 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I camped on the beach about 10 years ago.  Never again.  Even on the beach, it was miserable all night.  Forget even trying to go inside during the day. LOL

I'd add that it's hard to find a decent campground back home for less than the price of a Cheap Charlie room in Thailand. 

My Mrs wanted to buy a tent and camp out on my lawn for a night or two during the cooler months.

I sort of suggested spending millions of baht on a house with aircon and electric, and then camping out on the hard ground 5 feet in front of it was borderline lunacy.

As to the OP, might I suggest a cabin or lodge on Si Chang or an adventure resort, probably better away from the hustle and bustle of Pattaya City. That is what a lot of others above whose opinion of Pattaya is derogatory forget. There are roads leading out to many choices.

Almost every single national park allows camping and has a dedicated campground.  Cost to pitch your own tent is 30 baht.  Cost to rent one of theirs is usually 250 baht but sometimes they can give you a small tent for 150 baht and in some places like Koh Lao Liang the tents are much bigger and cost around 1000 baht per night.

Nearest national parks to Pattaya are at least a couple of hours away so I would think about travelling further afield.

Islands usually also have some resorts that rent out tents.  I've found camping options on Koh Lipe, Koh Chang, Koh Mook, Koh Kood etc.

If you can't find what you are looking for near the beach then you might consider going a bit more afield and try Khao Yai NP.     Wife and I camp there several times a year and now during the cool season is the best time, but try to avoid camping over the weekends as it gets extremely crowded.   Google the park for details or post again if you want more info.

Khao Yai Feb 2011 & Kevin airport 023.jpg

Khao Yai Feb 2011 & Kevin airport 032.jpg

Khao Yai   Dec 2014 007.JPG

Jan 2015 Khao Yai, Jazz, Misc 012.JPG

Jan 2015 Khao Yai, Jazz, Misc 027.JPG