China Southern airlines - LHR to Bangkok

NotWhatItWasnt

Arrived just after check in opened as there were delays on the Piccadilly line and already the que was beyond the segregated Que area.

Self check in was the quicker option though this service was only working for some people.

Initially the check in clerk was unsure if I would be allowed on the flight due to not having a 60 day visa, or flight out of Thailand to Cambodia.

Even after explaining my travel plans, Thailand Visa on arrival for 7 days then onto Cambodia via road, visa on arrival for 30 days, while in Cambodia obtain a Thai tourist visa via an agent in siem reap, return to Thailand via road until return to UK in february the check in Clerk was still unsure if I would be allowed on the flight, she then asked her line manager who was also unsure and who then called the her supervisor.  

I re-explained my travel plans to him, he looked through my passport (It was easy to see I'd made similar trips from immigration stamps) and he said there was no problem as long as I signed a waiver/disclaimer saying that I would not stay in Thailand for more than 30 days and that China Southern airlines were not responsible if I did (Something like this)

By this time all the good seats were gone and I got stuck with a middle seat.

The padding on the seats of the Boeing 787 from Heathrow to Guangzhou was very thin and where ever I moved my bum or legs there was always a pressure point on the back of my thighs or bum.

The Boeing 737-700 on the short haul from Guangzhou to Bangkok was a lot more comfortable, with much more seat padding.

PS don't have the omelette on the short haul, this was a bit on the watery side and the sausage was more like a hot dog, the noodles were much better.

PPS Food was OK and more drinks were available through out both flights by asking or buzzing the flight attendants from the controller on your arm rest.

Both flights were full.

There were no problems at Thai immigration.  

I explained my travel plans to IO, who happily stamped me into Thailand with no extra questions.

44 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for the report.

And there are still disbelievers about being refused without visa when returning later than 30 days.

Good that you got the waiver/disclaimer option.

Due to flight delay into NZ that totally cocked up a planned and set up appointment with the Embassy in Auckland I had to return on a VE and not with a Multi O as intended. It went as far as senior supervisor as I was initially refused boarding because I was on  the return flight and no flight out. After a chat and checking my previous, quite a few, multi's in my passport he allowed boarding. Thai airways flight.

I reckon if you are not questioned when you don't have a visa/flight out etc it's more luck than good judgement.   

China Southern Airlines also fly through to Manila via Guangzhou, i advised recently that there is no way you are likely to get on a flight going to Phils without a plane ticket out in 30 days. That means the airline has a regular practice of checking for your outgoing plans and my logic says they will therefore also do the same for BKK. I have a feeling you may have been fortunate to get on the flight! I quite liked China Southern and the food though, another positive is that the make the 'ignorants' straigten their reclined seats during food service so that the person behind can actually eat. A pity more airlines don't do this.

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

China Southern Airlines also fly through to Manila via Guangzhou, i advised recently that there is no way you are likely to get on a flight going to Phils without a plane ticket out in 30 days. That means the airline has a regular practice of checking for your outgoing plans and my logic says they will therefore also do the same for BKK. I have a feeling you may have been fortunate to get on the flight! I quite liked China Southern and the food though, another positive is that the make the 'ignorants' straigten their reclined seats during food service so that the person behind can actually eat. A pity more airlines don't do this.

They do if you signal to the attendant. Without fail. Do it discreetly. No need for drama.

Archived