Thailand arrests woman wanted over deadly 2015 bombing at shrine

snoop1130

Thailand arrests woman wanted over deadly 2015 bombing at shrine

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat

2017-11-22T130215Z_1_LYNXMPEDAL0Z4_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-BLASTS.JPG

Wanna Suansan, who is wanted in connection with a deadly 2015 bombing, receives a medical examination at Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand November 22, 2017. REUTERS/Patpicha Tanakasempipat

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Police in Thailand on Wednesday arrested a woman wanted in connection with a 2015 bombing in Bangkok that killed 20 people, 14 of them foreign tourists.

The blast at a central Bangkok shrine popular with visitors from China and elsewhere in Asia raised fears of a spillover of violence from China's western Xinjiang region, where some members of the Uighur Muslim minority oppose Beijing's rule.

No group claimed responsibility for the blast that killed five people from mainland China and two from Hong Kong and wounded more than 120 people.

The Thai woman suspect, Wanna Suansan, 29 was arrested at Bangkok airport, said deputy national police chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakul. He declined to say where she had arrived from.

Wanna faced various charges including premeditated murder and co-possession of explosives and weapons, police said. She is one of 17 people wanted in connection with the bombing.

"After questioning police will send her to prosecutors," Srivara told reporters at Bangkok's national police headquarters.

Two ethnic Muslim Uighur men from China were accused of carrying out the bomb attack and are on trial in Thailand. They have denied all charges.

Investigators said in 2015 Wanna rented a room in Bangkok to one of those men. She fled the country shortly after the attack.

Police ruled out "terrorism", saying the bombing was prompted by a crackdown on human smuggling networks.

But many analysts and diplomats said it was likely an act of revenge for Thailand's deportation to China of the more than 100 Uighurs in July that year.

A relative of Wanna's told reporters at the national police headquarters that Wanna wanted to come back to Thailand to prove her innocence.

(Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-22

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A relative of Wanna's told reporters at the national police headquarters that Wanna wanted to come back to Thailand to prove her innocence.

If so, it would appear she is quite ignorant of the Thai justice system, especially under the current regime.

Edited by Thaiwrath

6 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Shifty eyes

Oh good, not just bigotry and hate based on appearance then. 

Just good old fashioned prejudice based on looks.  

Oh wait, that’s the same. 

Edited by Bluespunk

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

(Note:sarcasm mode engaged)

I've always had to roll my sleeve up when I get my blood pressure checked.

She's covering her arms intentionally, perhaps to hide an identifying scar or tattoo.

She's got her head covered completely, again to make it harder on police to identify her.

Not only are her eyes shifty but she doesn t make eye contact with the nurse.

Not bigotry my friend, just the ability to read body language and recognizing subtle behaviour clues.

Erawan Shrine bomb suspect arrested at Suvarnabhumi

By SURIYA PATATHAYO 
THE NATION 

3dd264b62213f3d20fd87855155fc8b3.jpeg

THE THAI woman implicated in the deadly Erawan Shrine bomb attack is now in Thai police custody.

Wanna Suansan was arrested upon her arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday. 

7802a3dd102ce8643a7a4b3d24e45b4f.jpg

Police then took her to the National Police Office headquarters where Deputy National Police Commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul interrogated her. 

Wanna is among the suspects wanted in Thailand for the fatal explosion that rocked the Erawan Shrine in the heart of Bangkok on August 17, 2015, causing huge casualties. 

8a2e101c04cf8013830b8ad1cce5ab5e.jpg

File photo

She married a Turkish man, Emrah Davutoglu, who is also facing charges related to the bomb attack. 

Wanna, a resident of Thailand’s South, and her husband suspiciously left for Turkey just before the bomb explosion occurred. 

Once the couple’s flight landed in Turkey, they were arrested, and the husband was accused of possessing war materials and bombs. 

377a1285b9b531a5c9e8bd3a8db64f21.jpg

Last month, Wanna’s relatives urged Thai authorities to help bring her back to Thailand even if that meant she would have to face trial for her alleged role in the bomb attack. 

They said Wanna had been locked up throughout her time in Turkey and even had to give birth to her baby in prison. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332286

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-23

9 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

She's covering her arms intentionally, perhaps to hide an identifying scar or tattoo.

She's got her head covered completely, again to make it harder on police to identify her.

Not bigotry my friend, just the ability to read body language and recognizing subtle behaviour clues.

A: I’m not your friend. 

B: the following word can be applied to your defence of judging someone on their appearance, based on a single photograph: nonsense. 

C: other words are available, however they would be much more judgemental and all too accurate. 

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If so, it would appear she is quite ignorant of the Thai justice system, especially under the current regime.

Prove her innocence? Maybe.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Wanna had been locked up throughout her time in Turkey

Being indefinitely locked up in a Turkish prison would be the prime motivator I think.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

A: I’m not your friend. 

B: the following word can be applied to your defence of judging someone on their appearance, based on a single photograph: nonsense. 

C: other words are available, however they would be much more judgemental and all too accurate. 

A. I may not be your friend but I identify as you being my friend. 

B. I was applying tested and commonly used police principals of judging body language.  Body language is based on appearance.  

C. Share your words with me, when you hold it in it is like cancer, leprosy or aids, in that anger eats away at you

Best wishes

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yay!! Mr. Probity is here to virtue signal so that the world may be illuminated with his Shining Light of Unblemished Righteousness!

12 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

If found guilty then I can only hope that she and her husband are dealt the full force of the law.

I agree 100%, but I think a punishment over and above a 500 Baht fine is warranted.

How about death by bombing!

1 hour ago, greatwhitenorth said:

B. I was applying tested and commonly used police principals of judging body language.  Body language is based on appearance.  

C. Share your words with me, when you hold it in it is like cancer, leprosy or aids, in that anger eats away at you

Best wishes

There is something to be said for body language, apart from profiling.

I could also say the same thing applies to accents.  For example I cannot but help thinking that you come from the subcontinent.

17 minutes ago, car720 said:

There is something to be said for body language, apart from profiling.

I could also say the same thing applies to accents.  For example I cannot but help thinking that you come from the subcontinent.

Indian subcontinent, region, S central Asia, comprising the countries of Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh and the Himalayan states of Nepal, and Bhutan. Sri Lanka, an island off the southeastern tip of the Indian peninsula, is often considered a part of the subcontinent.

www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs...and.../indian-subcontinent

Sir, you definitely have a futile imagination, I am most definitely not exactly or approximately from the Indian Subcontinent.

Thank you, come again

Edited by greatwhitenorth

3 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

You dont have to roll your sleeves up to get blood pressure checked,you chose to.I don't.

Maybe you havent noticed that many women cover their arms to avoid the sun.

Her head is not completely covered.

I dont make eye contact when a nurse is taking my blood pressure or blood either,maybe I am a criminal in your eyes.

The amateur detectives are coming out of the woodwork.

2 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Best wishes

If you believe A then you are as wrong in that as you are in judging this woman on her appearance. 

As to C, you don’t get to tell me what to do. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
  1 hour ago, seminomadic said:

Yay!! Mr. Probity is here to virtue signal so that the world may be illuminated with his Shining Light of Unblemished Righteousness!

pro·bi·ty
ˈprōbədē/
noun
formal

1. the quality of having strong moral principles; honesty and decency.
    "financial probity"
    synonyms: integrityhonestyuprightnessdecencymoralityrectitudegoodnessvirtue, right-mindedness, trustworthinesstruthfulnesshonor

5 minutes ago, ib1b4 said:

Thank you for your insight. Could you explain what you mean by that.

Most apologists will claim those Muslims involved in terrorist attacks and Jihad are not 'real' Muslims as Islam is a religion of peace. when in fact if you judge them by the commands given in the Quran and Haddiths they are just doing what they are told they must do to be good Muslims. 

4 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

While her shoes aren't visible here, I, too, read body language and it is clear to me that the heels contain compartments for explosives, and the head covering clearly conceals horns.

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Most apologists will claim those Muslims involved in terrorist attacks and Jihad are not 'real' Muslims as Islam is a religion of peace. when in fact if you judge them by the commands given in the Quran and Haddiths they are just doing what they are told they must do to be good Muslims. 

You mean like good Judeo-Christians will stone adulterers and kill gays like the Bible says they should?

4 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

All from one photograph?

2 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Best wishes

Trouble is you are judging her based on a single photo which is ridiculous but if you feel it is correct to do so then it says a lot about you

Edited by gandalf12