can you get a re-entry permit at any immi office or only where you are registered?

Hi all,

I will be flying out of Phuket for my annual trip to my home country this year as I got an unbelievable fare, but I want to avoid to apply for the re-entry permit there, as I have no experience with the Phuket officers, I heard they are sometimes difficult and unpleasant to deal with, plus my my flight leaves in the wee hours so the desk/office that issues a re-entry may not even be open.

As I am not at the province I am registered at the moment, I would like to ask if one can get such re-entry permit (single) at any immi office in the country (BKK for example), or will you have to go to the office that is responsible for you.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are on an extension of stay you have to apply for the re-entry permit at the office where you applied for it.

If you were flying form either airport in Bangkok you could get the re-entry permit 24 hours a day.

Thanks for the clarification and yes, I am on the 1-year-extension of stay.

So not even the immi HQ at Chaeng Wattana can do that, right?

This means a journey back to the immi office of my province, or take the risk in Phuket.

Maybe have to ask about recent HKT re-entry experiences in a new topic

54 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

Maybe have to ask about recent HKT re-entry experiences in a new topic

According to this thread, from a couple of years ago, it is possible: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/829744-can-i-get-a-re-entry-permit-at-phuket-airport/

I suspect you just use the same office that handles overstays (same as in Don Muang). If so, it is certainly a 24-hour service.

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

According to this thread, from a couple of years ago, it is possible: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/829744-can-i-get-a-re-entry-permit-at-phuket-airport/

I suspect you just use the same office that handles overstays (same as in Don Muang). If so, it is certainly a 24-hour service.

Thanks for that, I already found a very recent topic regarding HKT re-entry and have asked there

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are on an extension of stay you have to apply for the re-entry permit at the office where you applied for it.

If you were flying form either airport in Bangkok you could get the re-entry permit 24 hours a day.

Hi ubonjoe, I am on my extension of stay from my retirement Visa, I applied for a re-entry permit, single entry, as I am supposed to go out in February for a short time and finally go home in April.  Due to unforseen circummstances, (death in the familly) I had to use it this month.  So when I go out in February and come back in March, I'll get 30 days but I will be short of my departure in April.  So if I do a land crossing, I'll get 15 days which will be sufficient to cover me up til departure time.  Are there any other options? If I do a land crossing, Laos will be the place as I am in Nakhon Phanom, do I have to stay overnight?  Thank you very much ubonjoe for your help and always expert advice.

5 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

Hi ubonjoe, I am on my extension of stay from my retirement Visa, I applied for a re-entry permit, single entry, as I am supposed to go out in February for a short time and finally go home in April.  Due to unforseen circummstances, (death in the familly) I had to use it this month.  So when I go out in February and come back in March, I'll get 30 days but I will be short of my departure in April.  So if I do a land crossing, I'll get 15 days which will be sufficient to cover me up til departure time.  Are there any other options? If I do a land crossing, Laos will be the place as I am in Nakhon Phanom, do I have to stay overnight?  Thank you very much ubonjoe for your help and always expert advice.

All visa exempt entries (whether by land or air) now give you 30 days. When entering by land, you are only allowed two visa exempt entries per calendar year. There is no requirement to stay overnight in Laos. You can come straight back.

What you may want to do in early April is to extend your visa exempt entry for a further 30 days on payment of 1,900 baht at your local immigration office.

I am assuming that, following your exit in April, you no longer intend further long stays in Thailand, and that is why you are not trying to preserve your retirement extension.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

All visa exempt entries (whether by land or air) now give you 30 days. When entering by land, you are only allowed two visa exempt entries per calendar year. There is no requirement to stay overnight in Laos. You can come straight back.

What you may want to do in early April is to extend your visa exempt entry for a further 30 days on payment of 1,900 baht at your local immigration office.

I am assuming that, following your exit in April, you no longer intend further long stays in Thailand, and that is why you are not trying to preserve your retirement extension.

Thank you very much for the info, I'll be leaving Thailand on the 16 February and coming back on the 7 March, I'll get 30 days Visa exemption that will bring me til the 6 April and I am leaving to go home for the summer on the 18 April.  Correct me if I am wrong, if I go to immigration before my 30 days expires and pay 1,900 Bahts, I'll get an extra 30 days, which would be more than sufficient to cover my needs.

Just now, Gerard052 said:

Thank you very much for the info, I'll be leaving Thailand on the 16 February and coming back on the 7 March, I'll get 30 days Visa exemption that will bring me til the 6 April and I am leaving to go home for the summer on the 18 April.  Correct me if I am wrong, if I go to immigration before my 30 days expires and pay 1,900 Bahts, I'll get an extra 30 days, which would be more than sufficient to cover my needs.

I forgot to mention, when I come back in the fall I'll have a Non-Immigrant O-A, M entries as I usually do every 2 years.

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

Yes, quite right.

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

I forgot to mention, when I come back in the fall I'll have a Non-Immigrant O-A, M entries as I usually do every 2 years.

Sound plan. You seem to have everything well in hand.

15 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

If your current extension of stay expires on or after April 18th, why don't you just get another re-entry permit when you exit on February 16th?

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

If your current extension of stay expires on or after April 18th, why don't you just get another re-entry permit when you exit on February 16th?

My extension of stay on my re-entry permit says "valid until 1 Nov 2018 which I am using on this trip.  I wasn't aware that I could get another re-entry permit from my extension.  Where do I go to get it at the airport?  Thank you very much for the info.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

My extension of stay on my re-entry permit says "valid until 1 Nov 2018 which I am using on this trip.  I wasn't aware that I could get another re-entry permit from my extension.  Where do I go to get it at the airport?  Thank you very much for the info.

You can have as many re-entry permits as you want. You can get another single entry form your local immigration office, or at the airport on the way out of the country. Some people get a multiple entry re-entry permit (3,800 baht) if they are planning 4+ trips during the year to save money and passport space.

• 2 weeks later...

First time posting here, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Does anybody have recent confirmation that the re-entry permit office in Suvarnabhumi is open 24 hours a day? There is a ridiculous amount of conflicting information about the timings online and the airport's website contradicts its own damn self on the matter (as seen here, it first says 5 am - 12 am but then says 24 hours a little further down). I don't trust them to give me an accurate reply if I were to email them about it.

Currently considering just making a trip to CW and getting the permit in advance to save myself the trouble, but parts of the immigration website imply that I'd need an appointment for that (which it expects me to apply for through Internet Explorer).

This is my first time leaving Bangkok since I got here a couple of years ago so I'm completely new to the re-entry permit process—I'd really appreciate some help with this. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, 7454117 said:

Does anybody have recent confirmation that the re-entry permit office in Suvarnabhumi is open 24 hours a day?

I can confirm 100% that the re-entry desk at Suvarnabhumi is open 24 hours. There was a period of a few months last year when it closed for a few hours at night, but things are long back to normal now.

9 hours ago, 7454117 said:

Does anybody have recent confirmation that the re-entry permit office in Suvarnabhumi is open 24 hours a day? 

It is open 24 hours a day now. The info you posted a link to is out of date. They moved the re-entry permit office last December.

Topic here about it.