Has anyone recently done a Thai Will?

davidst01

On 05/12/2017 at 4:23 PM, Oztruckie said:

Also there's a lot more than just the assets to take care of,ambulance,cops,morgue,hospital,

doctors,they all want their fees or whatever.

interesting.   The surviving partner must have the cash to pay for these extra's    Best just to die without expenses .. On the continueing side. I hear from the Thai's that its even difficult to get to the Expats bank accounts; even with death cert's  to transfer it all. Any news here  ? 

1 minute ago, hansened said:

interesting.   The surviving partner must have the cash to pay for these extra's    Best just to die without expenses .. On the continueing side. I hear from the Thai's that its even difficult to get to the Expats bank accounts; even with death cert's  to transfer it all. Any news here  ? 

The banks have fairly standard procedures for these things, their customers die all the time! I bank with UOB who tells me that if the circumstances are known and understood and the matter is not suspicious AND all parties are known to the bank, transfer of assets can be done quickly based on them seeing the will. Bank policy on this subject however is that Probate is required and it could take up to six months based on a range of factors, this I have in writing from UOB's legal exec.

Yes there will be extra's that must be paid for, this will depend on the circumstances surrounding the death. It's possible that ambulance, hospital, doctor and mortuary (storage) fees are involved plus the Amphur may need paying for documents that are needed. If the Will is in English it will need to be translated and of course Probate Court fees will also need to be paid, as will the Lawyer/Executor if they are required.

On 05/12/2017 at 4:23 PM, Oztruckie said:

Also there's a lot more than just the assets to take care of,ambulance,cops,morgue,hospital,

doctors,they all want their fees or whatever.

1 hour ago, hansened said:

i HEAR SO  many variations of what to do/ how to file/ how to make it legal that you just give up.  

Every legal office; being actual lawyers or not will give a different story. 

whats the real correct way. I'm told you can make your own; signed by two thai persons; and just hang onto it.  NO lawyers or posting anywhere is required ???? 

Of course you can make your will out that way. But if you want to do the best for your next of kin then you need to have a legal will that will stand up in court in the event that others are trying to get a slice of the cake, against your wishes.

HL

When my wife Draws up a will for a client she writes one paragraph in Thai and then repeats the same paragraph in English, and then the next paragraph in Thai....and so on. Then at the end of the will she adds a paragraph stating that if there is any discrepency then the English version is to be followed.

This way the client can see exactly what he is signing for and cannot be hoodwinked in any way, and there is only one will to worry about.

HL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, happylarry said:

When my wife Draws up a will for a client she writes one paragraph in Thai and then repeats the same paragraph in English, and then the next paragraph in Thai....and so on. Then at the end of the will she adds a paragraph stating that if there is any discrepency then the English version is to be followed.

This way the client can see exactly what he is signing for and cannot be hoodwinked in any way, and there is only one will to worry about.

HL

Could you PM with details for your wife to draw up a Thai Will for me please.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, jamie2009 said:

Could you PM with details for your wife to draw up a Thai Will for me please.

Hi Jamie, you asked for a pm but then have not read it even though you have been back here since?????? lol

HL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So if you then go and open a new account or move money to one with higher interest how easy is it to add a codicil in Thailand or do you have to go through the whole process again?
Likewise if you have a car and change it and have specified it too individually or current shares/funds you may have in Thailand?

Does not seem overly practical unless you are almost at that time of life where you know you are not going to be changing anything.

What happens it you have a will in a western country and have Thai assets to distribute separately?
2 wills declaring the existence? How to avoid probate?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, grobec said:

What happens it you have a will in a western country and have Thai assets to distribute separately?
2 wills declaring the existence? How to avoid probate?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You need a separate will for each country, each will must declare the assets that it covers and the jurisdiction.

You cannot avoid probate, not in Thailand or overseas or most western countries.

40 minutes ago, Will E Vormer said:

Having a proper legal Will in thailand is v important.. does an internet download Will need a solicitor to sign it off?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A will only requires the signature to be witnessed by two independent witnesses, it's a hugely false economy to think a person can save money by not having this done via a lawyer, foolish beyond belief.