Bubbles in concrete swimming pools

Deadcert

I have just had my concrete pool retiled. 

The water has now gone in and the shallow end which has a few have there steps under water has small water bubbles coming up two places from between the grout when the pump is on. My pool man was worried out this and believes the pipe work maybe compromised. He was suggested not running the pump and referring the matter to the pool refurbishment company. 

They said that the steps are raised by using bricks and that the porous nature of the bricks causes evacuation of air when under pressure from the pump his advice is to continue using the pump until the bubbles subside which will take 3-4 days 

A builder who's opinion I trust has said he believes a pipe is compromised, that I should shut off the pump and do exploratory work in the area of the leak, He said that continued use of the pump could compromise the pool lining. 

Obviously this is completely opposite advice, and I am out of my depth, pun intended. 

I wonder if anyone has had this issue or has comments. 

I am inclined to get a third opinion. 

No one like a clever clogs who has no experience of these matters arguing with them but I am absolutely torn. 

Any ideas welcomed 

DC 

Normally the steps are hollow and filled with rubble, but should be sand! When you clean out old grout the steps invariably will leak out water that has got into the hollow. 95% of the pools I have renovated have had to have the steps water proofed prior re-grout & water filling. My guess is air had got in and they didn't seal the steps. Can't see why plumbing piping would be any where near the steps let alone inside? But anything is possible in LOS!!

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Normally the steps are hollow and filled with rubble, but should be sand! When you clean out old grout the steps invariably will leak out water that has got into the hollow. 95% of the pools I have renovated have had to have the steps water proofed prior re-grout & water filling. My guess is air had got in and they didn't seal the steps. Can't see why plumbing piping would be any where near the steps let alone inside? But anything is possible in LOS!!

Thank you Bagwain, 

This is what I have been told, and I am sure that when the pool was built I had the same issue. The contractor has said that the bubbles will subside after a few days, when the spaces no longer have air, is this your experience, or do I need to carry out repairs ?

DC 

Archived