Japan detects radio signals pointing to possible North Korea missile test - source

webfact

Japan detects radio signals pointing to possible North Korea missile test - source

tag_reuters-2.jpg

A flag is pictured outside the Permanent Mission of North Korea in Geneva, Switzerland, November 17, 2017. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

TOKYO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Japan has detected radio signals suggesting North Korea may be preparing for another ballistic missile launch, although such signals are not unusual and satellite images did not show fresh activity, a Japanese government source said on Tuesday.

After firing missiles at a pace of about two or three a month since April, North Korean missile launches paused in September, after Pyongyang fired a rocket that passed over Japan’s northern Hokkaido island.

"This is not enough to determine (if a launch is likely soon)," the source told Reuters.

Japan's Kyodo news agency reported late on Monday that the Japanese government was on alert after catching such radio signals, suggesting a launch could come in a few days. The report also said the signals might be related to winter military training by the North Korean military.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency, citing a South Korean government source, also reported that intelligence officials of the United States, South Korea and Japan had recently detected signs of a possible missile launch and have been on higher alert.

Asked about the media reports, Pentagon spokesman Colonel Robert Manning told reporters the United States continued to watch North Korea very closely.

"This is a diplomatically led effort at this point, supported by military options," he said.

"The Republic of Korea and U.S. alliance remains strong and capable of countering any North Korean provocations or attacks."

Two U.S. government sources familiar with official assessments of North Korean capabilities and activities said that while they were not immediately familiar with recent intelligence suggesting that North Korea was preparing to launch a new missile test, the U.S. government would not be surprised if such a test were to take place in the very near future.

Other U.S. intelligence officials noted North Korea has previously sent deliberately misleading signs of preparations for missile and nuclear tests, in part to mask real preparations, and in part to test U.S. and allied intelligence on its activities.

(Reporting by Nobuhiro Kubo in TOKYO, Phil Stewart, Mark Hosenball and John Walcott in WASHINGTON, and Soyoung Kim in SEOUL; Writing by Linda Sieg; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-28

we always assume that america is the good guy and north korea is the bad guy but america must be doing something or perceived as doing something to provoke north korea otherwise why would they behave in this way. the soviet union just collapsed one day without a shot being fired. maybe north korea will do the same. let us hope so.

They just shot off another one. Seems to me North Korea has made more advances in their capilbility under the Trump regime than I can remember at any other time. Obviously they presieve weakness with the coward draft dodger in charge.

1 hour ago, pegman said:

They just shot off another one. Seems to me North Korea has made more advances in their capilbility under the Trump regime than I can remember at any other time. Obviously they presieve weakness with the coward draft dodger in charge.

Allow me to refresh your memory:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Yeah, it just started this year:

http://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/understanding-north-koreas-missile-tests/

5 hours ago, jobsworth said:

we always assume that america is the good guy and north korea is the bad guy but america must be doing something or perceived as doing something to provoke north korea otherwise why would they behave in this way. the soviet union just collapsed one day without a shot being fired. maybe north korea will do the same. let us hope so.

The Kim family hates America because of the defeat they suffered many years ago. Also, for dictators to survive, they've got to have a bad guy to blame for all the misery they create. In this case, it's the US.

The Soviet Union collapsed partially due to a great leader who wanted change for his people. Kim could care less about his people. He only cares about staying in power. And having nukes will help him do just that. Sadly.

7 hours ago, jobsworth said:

..i reckon NK will implode..a lot of unstable ground there now it seems.