Entering Thailand with a tourist visa but NOT using it?

Have a valid single entry tourist visa but want to enter Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp initially instead of using it (want to use the tourist visa the next time I enter which is before the visa use by date.)

I'm presuming they don't force you to use the visa and it won't become invalid? I won't write the visa number in the arrival card obviously. Anyone have experience of doing this? 

Thanks

I did exactly as you propose about 9 years ago.  I had to come to Thailand to pick up some goods and was only here for three days.

I politely asked the IO for a 30 day exempt entry telling him I was only here for three days.  I had a copy of my flight out of Thailand in case he asked for proof.  He never did.  I don't know if anyone has more recent experience as Immigration rules seem to change all the time.

i tried to do this 5+ years ago, around the time they were focused on too many visa exempt entries and telling people to use tourist visas.  i was coming in to thailand for 3 weeks and then out for 2 weeks.  then back in for two months.  i didn't write the visa number on the entry card.  the IO saw my visa and made me use it.  i didn't have any back up stuff to prove my itinerary but i don't recall him asking for anything that might help. 

when i returned for my two month stay, i entered on a visa exempt and then got an extension to cover the two month stay.

I did it with a valid multiple entry non imm O because of marriage. Wanted a 30 day visa exempt, so I could change to a non B inside the country. Immigration officer was not sure, called a superior, I explained why, needed to put my signature next to some writing she did close to the visa, sorted.

yes this is all true.

a long time ago there were tourist visas which you applied for in your own country

and then there was a transit visa given on arrival (about 7 days i think it was).

i wanted to visit laos and so on arrival i asked for and was granted a transit visa.

the immigration officer had to consult with the supervisor, a lady.

so after visiting laos i was able to enter thailand on a tourist visa.

i had to cross the mekong river by boat. there was no bridge.

nong kai used to be beautiful in those days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

I did exactly as you propose about 9 years ago.  I had to come to Thailand to pick up some goods and was only here for three days.

I politely asked the IO for a 30 day exempt entry telling him I was only here for three days.  I had a copy of my flight out of Thailand in case he asked for proof.  He never did.  I don't know if anyone has more recent experience as Immigration rules seem to change all the time.

Not possible as far as I know

Let us know the result.

If your passport allows a 30 day visa exempt entry, this should not be a problem. But the immigration officer will automatically stamp a visa so you better explain your request before giving your passport.

It is probably highly dependable on the mood of the immigration officer also. 

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is up to the officer when you enter the country. It is at his discretion.

ubonjoe, if the IO doesn't allow this and makes him use the visa, can he get a re-entry permit so he dont loose the time on the visa? 

6 minutes ago, ericthai said:

ubonjoe, if the IO doesn't allow this and makes him use the visa, can he get a re-entry permit so he dont loose the time on the visa? 

Yes he can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 60 days valid when he enters the country again.

• Like 1

I did this just 3 months ago. Had a TV from Manila but leaving for a side trip to Australia in 10 days. I didn't write a visa number on the arrival card and Politely explained the situation to the IO. he stamped me in for 30 days, smiled and said "What visa, I never saw one"

• Like 1