staying 3 more weeks in Thailand

Hello all,

A friend of mine came with a 30 days "visa exempt entry". It is his first trip in Thailand. He now stays in Chiang-Mai and wishes to stay 3 more weeks after these 30 days. He has a french passport so, eligible for the "visa exempt entry". I know he could apply for a tourist visa quite easily (for example in Vientiane) but I also want to suggest him the 3 options below but want to confirm first in this forum as I am not sure about the recent rules updates (or the way some rules are interpreted in the border/immigration):

1 - extend to an Immigration office his "visa exempt entry" (I guess the cost would be 1900 THB?). I think he could have an extension for 30 extra day?

2 - crossing the border at Mae Sai two times (each time would let him stay 15 days with a "visa exempt entry")

3 - cheap flight to a nearby country and come back with a 30 days "visa exempt entry"

Thanks for your help !

All visa exempt entries (whether by land or air) give him 30 days. In deciding between border hops for fresh visa exempt entries and extensions of stay, bear in mind

• only two visa exempt entries by land per calendar year are allowed; and
  • the cost of a border hop is usually more than people originally calculate: for instance, via the Lao border there is US$35+ for the Lao visa on arrival, plus travel costs.