Opinions on Yamaha FINO 125cc

ClutchClark

Wifes grand daughter wants her first motorbike...although she has ridden her moms bike for 2 years. She wants a Honda and I don’t blame her since every Honda machine I have ever owned has been great (gennies, outboards, cycles, cars).

I have a chance to buy her a 2015-2017 Yamaha FINO from a farang at good price. I have not seen it but I know him and trust him.

Saves me much off new price and buying from a farang gives me peace of mind compared to a stranger.

I would be buying it as a surprise for Christmas. Do Thais like these Retro bikes? 

Any reports on the late model FINO with a “sport” injection?

She is very small. Is this a heavy bike to manuever?

thanks

General question:

Any advantage to buying a new motorbike from a dealer than a slightly used one from private party that has been well taken care of?

Do new Hondas (like a Click) come with a service warranty? I will be in the US and won’t be turning a wrench when it needs replacement parts. 

Thanks again for your insights.

Thanks Papa Al.

I have read the Fino has poor fuel economy but I can't find whether that is the old carburated version or the new "Sport" Injection. 

I have also read it does not hold resale value like a Honda because Thais don't like Yamaha compared to Honda. 

I like the Retro looks of this Fino and the price is good but I don't want to buy her a bike she is going to be unhappy with because it is not "cool". 

Either will be fine. Late model scooters are all fuel efficient and easy to get repairs.

The Fino will be good value(for you at least) as there is nothing wrong with nearly new.

Your biggest problem is the girl and your(her) immediate family. Many Thais have issues with buying 2nd hand for various reasons. (Ghosts being one)

She may hate Finos, find out what she likes.

I would ask your wife and her mother what they think of your plans. If they are cool with the Fino then get it, if not.....

Hey Mack,

Spot on about the “used” thing.

I went that route before for the wife when we were dating.

I swear she hated that bike from day one and found countless imaginary mechanical issues with it weekly.

I never considered the possibility of ghosts but could have been.

the grand daughter does not want the Fino so my wife, grandma, does not want me to buy the Fino and insists new Honda.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, papa al said:

"insists" ?

Tell them you decided to buy nothing at this time.

That would be smartest.

Above is my intial thought.

Below is after I had a chance to think it through.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Happy Wife - Happy Life

Tell them you will pay the cost of the second-hand Fino and they can top up the rest for the new Honda. e.g. Fino is 30,000. New Honda Moove is about 34,000 on the road. They find the 4,000.

I personally think the peace of mind knowing that a new bike has not been crashed and poorly repaired and the Honda 3-year or 30,000 km guarantee makes a strong argument for a new bike.

Also I think Honda has much better build quality than Yamaha. Yamaha have more style. I currently own one Yamaha and one Honda.

32 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Hey Mack,

Spot on about the “used” thing.

I went that route before for the wife when we were dating.

I swear she hated that bike from day one and found countless imaginary mechanical issues with it weekly.

I never considered the possibility of ghosts but could have been.

the grand daughter does not want the Fino so my wife, grandma, does not want me to buy the Fino and insists new Honda.

Cheers

They are only new for a day, some good 2nd hand honda's about

if you are not getting the fino, what are the details i could be interested.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Tell them you will pay the cost of the second-hand Fino and they can top up the rest for the new Honda. e.g. Fino is 30,000. New Honda Moove is about 34,000 on the road. They find the 4,000.

I personally think the peace of mind knowing that a new bike has not been crashed and poorly repaired and the Honda 3-year or 30,000 km guarantee makes a strong argument for a new bike.

Also I think Honda has much better build quality than Yamaha. Yamaha have more style. I currently own one Yamaha and one Honda.

Wisdom.

Thanks for info on warranty.

Also thanks for MSRP. This Fino is some retro edition and was farang owned so has full maintenance history from Yamaha.

I think it was more than 30,000 new. I saw an equation a used value is “New price - 10% - one baht per kilometer.

I like the idea of having them pay difference in price but then my wife will be remembered as the one who made the entire gift and my larger contribution will be quickly forgotten.

It has happened before.

Being Daddy Warbucks is bad enough but not getting credit for being Daddy Warbucks is much worse.

รุ่น   Retro Sport             ล้อซี่ลวดราคา    46,000  บาท
รุ่น   Retro Sport             ล้อแม็กราคา      48,000  บาท
รุ่น   Premium Fashion    ล้อแม็กราคา      48,500  บาท  
รุ่น   Deluxe                     ล้อแม็ก
ราคา      50,500  บาท

New prices for Fino 125. Add around 1500 for registration and 3000 for optional 2-year insurance. The first model has spoke wheels, the other three more expensive mag wheels.

I have bought 3 S/H Finos over the past few years for various friends and relatives, ranging from 3 to 9 years old (the bike) and all are good and still running problem free.

I personally rate Yamaha above Honda, I bought a Filano 125 earlier this year, nice bike no problems and a Honda CRF a few weeks ago and was/am disappointed.

6 years I bought a S/H Click from a friend very cheaply, with a few issues and it developed a lot more. A piece of junk as it turned out water leaks everywhere, the last time I do a mate a favour.

But I think Yamahas are good bikes and that one sounds fine, are you sure it is a 125cc, I thought they were 110cc?

We have a new Falano 125cc...Goes like a rocket but to light at the front...PCX 125cc is much better, our PCX 125cc is now 8 years old and still rides like new....Click was to light at the front but no ploblem regarding reliability..

Remember only folk over 18 can use a 125cc...