Reset computer Win 8.1

pilou

Hi all

I have an all in one computer ACER Aspire Z5771, which I purchased 4 or 5 years ago with Win 7, then updated it to Win 8 and Win 8.1 "officially". This model cannot be updated to Win 10.

I now want to sell it, and am trying to reset it, but everything I have tried is not working.

I cannot find the activation key for my Win 8.1 installation, I remember doing it online, but that's a while ago.

Does anyone has a clue ?

Thanks, good day to all.

Phil

Well, it did not work, the extracted key is apparently only valid to make upgrades on Win 8.1.

I have found the original Win 7 code on a sticker on the back of the PC, but I can't find a way to re install it...

Thanks again anyway.

Phil

OK, well, just uninstall your apps as appropriate, notably the ones using passwords. Use an uninstaller like https://geekuninstaller.com/ that gets rid of leftover. Delete all docs, pics, etc. Then go over everything with BleachBit. Be sure at the end to wipe all the free space: https://www.bleachbit.org/

Try what JSixpack suggests, if you still want to reinstall then...

You can download window 7 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Install Windows  from Bootable USB follow this guide https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-2626264

Change Boot order in Bios from HDD to USB and run USB.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I found an original Win7 installation CD, so I went that way and reinstalled Win 7, but ( so far, I'm not finished ..), drivers are missing and keyboard and mouse are not seen, fortunately the PC has a touch screen so I have been able to input commands. I've been updating most of the day, updates after updates, each time the PC restarts, some more updates are found..

I'll continue tomorrow morning.

Phil

What made you think the machine couldn't run Windows 10? It can. You just need to run a clean install or at the very least download the media and run the upgrade that way.

Personally I would go with the clean install.

Touchscreen would suit Windows 10. But you are selling it anyway.

JamJar

Thanks for your input.

I had seen this video and have indeed opened my Acer a while ago to clean it, not easy, but doable.

I have asked Acer support why all my attempts to install Win10 were not working, and their answer was that this model was not supported, without any real additional explanations. I have made maybe 20 attempts to no avail, the install starts and after a while, it get stuck and the machine reverts itself to the former configuration, ie Win 8.1.

As for the drivers, I had also found this Acer support page, and downloaded some drivers, but I don't have a clue on how to install them.

I guess this machine will be going soon to a computer repair shop .. I'll see with them if Win 10 can indeed be installed.

Phil

15 minutes ago, pilou said:

As for the drivers, I had also found this Acer support page, and downloaded some drivers, but I don't have a clue on how to install them.

Unzip to their own folders, run the setups.

11 hours ago, pilou said:

Thanks for all your inputs.

I found an original Win7 installation CD, so I went that way and reinstalled Win 7, but ( so far, I'm not finished ..), drivers are missing and keyboard and mouse are not seen, fortunately the PC has a touch screen so I have been able to input commands. I've been updating most of the day, updates after updates, each time the PC restarts, some more updates are found..

I'll continue tomorrow morning.

Phil

Congrats. :wink: If you succeed, I recommend you wipe the free space afterwards anyway. 

15 hours ago, pilou said:

JamJar

Thanks for your input.

I had seen this video and have indeed opened my Acer a while ago to clean it, not easy, but doable.

I have asked Acer support why all my attempts to install Win10 were not working, and their answer was that this model was not supported, without any real additional explanations. I have made maybe 20 attempts to no avail, the install starts and after a while, it get stuck and the machine reverts itself to the former configuration, ie Win 8.1.

I guess this machine will be going soon to a computer repair shop .. I'll see with them if Win 10 can indeed be installed.

Phil

As aforementioned, to move to Windows 10, you need to use media to run a clean install. In which country did you buy the machine and where are you now? What BIOS version are you running?

Do not let a computer repair shop loose on your machine, unless it is the official ACER service centre.

The one in Chonburi is very good and cheaper than going to Tukcom.

If English US keyboard; Win10_1709_English_x64.iso  directly from Microsoft.

Otherwise; Win10_1709_EnglishInternational_x64.iso

Download and save and then create installation media using an 8GB or more USB flash drive and  Rufus;

Rufus.png

Not to distract from the thread, but another good word about Rufus.  I used to build USB thumb drives from ISO files via UltraISO, where I was never quite sure I was checking the right settings.  Rufus takes away a lot of the guess-work.

Also you simply run the Rufus executable, no installation process or registry mods.

41 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

Why bother, If it's 4 or 5 years old. How much do you honestly expect to get for it?

Not worth the time and energy.

I agree, I have my sons old Acer 4 years old all upgraded and working, nobody really interested in buying.

The computer illiterate wife now uses it.

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:

I agree, I have my sons old Acer 4 years old all upgraded and working, nobody really interested in buying.

The computer illiterate wife now uses it.

Perhaps the price was not right.

Either way, the "computer illiterate wife" is using it. So it's worth keeping these things in use.

I'm posting from a nine year old laptop. Brought it up to date by fitting an SSD.