World is losing the battle against climate change, Macron says

webfact

World is losing the battle against climate change, Macron says

By Richard Lough and Michel Rose

1.JPG

French President Emmanuel Macron (C), World Bank President Jim Yong Kim (CenterR), and President of the Comores, Azali Assoumani (4thR), pose with children after the closing speech of the Plenary Session of the One Planet Summit at the Seine Musicale event site on the Ile Seguin in Boulogne-Billancourt, near Paris, France, December 12, 2017. REUTERS/Etienne Laurent/Pool

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a bleak assessment on the global fight against climate change to dozens of world leaders and company executives on Tuesday, telling them: "We are losing the battle".

"We're not moving quickly enough. We all need to act," Macron said, seeking to breathe new life into a collective effort that was weakened this summer when President Donald Trump said he was pulling the United States out of an international accord brokered in the French capital two years ago.

Macron, who has worked to establish his role as a global leader since his sweeping election win in May, said modern-day science was revealing with each day the danger that global warming posed to the planet, he said.

"We are losing the battle," he said, urging a new phase in the fight against global warming.

France announced a raft of 12 non-binding commitments, from a $300 million pledge to fight desertification to accelerating the transition towards a decarbonised economy. But there was no headline promise likely to reassure poor nations on the sharp end of climate change that they will be better able to cope.

Public and private financial institutions pledged to channel more funds to spur the transition to a green economy and investors said they would pressure corporate giants to shift towards more ecologically friendly strategies.

Among the commitments, more than 200 institutional investors with $26 trillion in assets under management said on Tuesday they would step up pressure on the world's biggest corporate greenhouse gas emitters to combat climate change.

That, they said, would be more effective than threatening to pull the plug on their investments in companies, which include Coal India <COAL.NS>, Gazprom <GAZP.MM>, Exxon Mobil <XOM.N> and China Petroleum & Chemical Corp <600028.SS>.

The European Commission, meanwhile, said it was "looking positively" at plans to reduce capital requirements for environmentally-friendly investments by banks in a bid to boost the green economy.

"LITTLE FOR THE VULNERABLE"

Climate change is causing more frequent and severe flooding, droughts, storms and heatwaves as average global temperatures rise to new records, sea ice melts in the Arctic and sea levels rise.

Developing nations say the rich are lagging with a commitment dating back to 2009 to provide $100 billion a year by 2020 - from public and private sources alike - to help them switch from fossil fuels to greener energy sources and adapt to the effects of climate change.

On Tuesday, the European Commission announced 9 billion euros worth of investments targeting sustainable cities, sustainable energy and sustainable agriculture for Africa and EU neighbourhood countries.

Yet the United Nations Environment Programme says the cost of adapting to climate change in developing countries could rise to between $280 billion and $500 billion per year by 2050.

"Despite the hype, the One Planet summit is delivering little for the world’s people who are the most vulnerable to climate change," said Brandon Wu, director of policy and campaigns at ActionAid USA.

"Rich countries continue to pretend that new schemes for businessmen to increase their profits will be the centre of the solution for the poor."

Macron used the eve of the summit to award 18 grants to foreign climate scientists, most of whom are currently U.S.-based, to come and work in France.

(Reporting by Richard Lough, Leigh Thomas and Mathieu Rosemain in Paris, Alister Doyle in Oslo and Francesco Guarascio in Brussels; Editing by Richard Balmforth, Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-13

From yesterday's NPR (US's National Public Radio):

"The Arctic is a huge, icy cap on the planet that acts like a global air conditioner. But the air conditioner is breaking down, according to scientists who issued a grim "report card" on the Arctic on Tuesday. 

They say the North Pole continues to warm at an alarming pace — twice the rate as the rest of the planet, on average. This year was the Arctic's second-warmest in at least 1,500 years, after 2016. 

Researchers say there was less winter ice in the Arctic Ocean than ever observed. And ocean water in parts of the polar Barents and Chukchi seas was a whopping 7 degrees Fahrenheit higher than just a few decades ago. "

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/12/570119468/arctics-temperature-continues-to-run-hot-latest-report-card-shows

Macron is right, we will never achieve a constant climate because this never happened since the earth existed and never will be. Who on earth has the idea to keep the climate constant is an ideological idiot or an organization which wants to collect donations and government funds from taxpayers.

Edited by hhinhh

3 minutes ago, hhinhh said:

Macron is right, we will never achieve a constant climate because this never happened since the earth existed and never will be. Who on earth has the idea to keep the climate constant is an ideological idiot or an organization which wants to collect donations and government funds from taxpayers.

What an ignorant comment: just keep doing what we've been doing all along, because we can not control the climate and it will do whatever it will do. Has it ever occurred to you that humans have anything to do with that? We keep on burning fossil fuels and pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. I'm not exactly Einstein, but even I can see we need to start to do something about that.

31 minutes ago, hhinhh said:

Climate change is natural and inevitable. The problem is that we're headed for 10,000 years or so of natural climate change in the space of around 100 years. The planet will survive, and no doubt there will still be life on it, maybe even human life, but if you don't appreciate how dangerous this is for human civilization as we know it then you obviously haven't understood the situation at all.  

well think back a couple of hot seasons ago,where all records were broken in Thailand,i really do not enjoy 3 months of intense heat 45c here is far worse than 45c in a dry climate with much lower humidity.Try Abu Dhabi or Dubai in the summer,you are basically confined inside for most of the day.

Man made climate change is real,i read the reports on the Artic,but Macron is wrong,we are not losing the battle,it's is lost already no matter how many treaties they sign.

Does any of the volcano eruptions get factored in the release of CO2 into the air or any of the thermal vents on the ocean floor that pump CO2 iongto the ocean?  Is any country except Canada forcing their population to pay a carbon tax?  Not the USA, China, India, Russia, Europe, UK. Any one?

Geezer

3 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

At last the North West Passage will come about. Might not be many of us to enjoy it.

If the NW passage, N.Canada, and Greenland keep getting warmer, that will be indicative of warmer temps in lower latitudes.  Desert regions, for example, like Sudan/Sahara, Gobi and north Mexico, where tens of millions of people are already failing at surviving, ....will get even hotter.  If you think mass migrations to Europe, N.America are bad now, wait until things get a lot hotter in north Africa and the Middle east.   Migrant numbers will go up exponentially.

3 hours ago, hhinhh said:

You're the first person I've heard use the term 'constant climate'.  So, you're coining a term which doesn't apply, then you're attacking liberals and environmentalists for using the term WHICH WAS MADE UP BY DENIERS. 

Taxes pay for a lot of things:  war, bailing out Wall Street, bailing out GM and Ford car companies, paying for Trump to watch TV for 9 hours a day (while sucking diet Coke non-stop), paying $60 million per day to keep a few tents cool in the Middle East for US occupiers. If you want to talk about wasteful tax spending, that's whopper of a topic.

1 hour ago, Monkeyrobot said:

This guy spends 50,000 + a year on his make up , don’t trust a word he says. He has more make up than Miss Tiffany.

When you can't counter Macron's initiatives with science or logic, you attack him for supposed use of 'make-up.'  That's like Trump attacking his sex-assault accusers by saying they're not young cute #10's any more ("Have you seen her?! She wouldn't be my first choice, believe me.")

17 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Does any of the volcano eruptions get factored in the release of CO2 into the air or any of the thermal vents on the ocean floor that pump CO2 iongto the ocean?  Is any country except Canada forcing their population to pay a carbon tax? Not the USA, China, India, Russia, Europe, UK. Any one?  Geezer

Climate scientists aren't dummies.  They're taking into account volcanic activity, increased methane releases, and lots more.

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

well think back a couple of hot seasons ago,where all records were broken in Thailand,i really do not enjoy 3 months of intense heat 45c here is far worse than 45c in a dry climate with much lower humidity.Try Abu Dhabi or Dubai in the summer,you are basically confined inside for most of the day.

Man made climate change is real,i read the reports on the Artic,but Macron is wrong,we are not losing the battle,it's is lost already no matter how many treaties they sign.

So, are you saying to Macron and everyone else:  'it's happening no matter what, so there's no need to do anything - except try to get comfortable.' ?  .....maybe your solution is to move to  higher elevation, and buy more air conditioners.  If you've got enough money, yea, not difficult.  But if you're like a third of the world's population, you don't have enough money to even put enough rice on the table for your family.

Macron sounds like a leader who sees a looming and dire issue and tries to find ways to lessen the impact.  That's a stark contrast to Trump, who doesn't want to see it as dire, who doesn't want to accept what scientists tell him because it's counter to what he wants to believe.  Trump worships money.  His buddies in the fossil fuel industries may make a bit less than the tens of millions/year individually that they're accustomed to. So naturally, Trump is doing all he can to protect his rich friends and himself also.

sorry to keep posting so much, and harping on about wasteful US spending on the military.  But I crunched the numbers a bit more, regarding air-conditioning for tents in the M.East, used by US military there.   How many tents are there?  50?  100?  200?   I don't know, but the cost to air-condition those tents amounts to over $40,000 per minute.  Yes you read that right.  Forty thousand dollars per minute.   That's more than a new Lexus luxury car, every minute.  24/7, all year long.

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Does any of the volcano eruptions get factored in the release of CO2 into the air

Readily searchable. For example:

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-volcanoes-or-humans/

Obviously, nothing can be done when mother nature steps in and starts pumping C02 in our atmosphere....part of a geological balance perhaps ?

But we can humbly help our planet with harsher enforcement and regulation against factories, their waste disposal or emissions, stop closing our eyes on the cargo ships, ferries or oil tankers that destroy our seas, as one single cargo route from the east to the west, pollutes more then over a million automobiles in one year...and 16 ships produce more atmospheric poison, then all the cars in the world.

On the other hand the green warriors get orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting, but what alternatives on efficient 24/7 public transport are offered ?

To much money is involved, either to innovate or renovate...

8 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

This guy spends 50,000 + a year on his make up , don’t trust a word he says. He has more make up than Miss Tiffany.

But less than The Joker.

It was only 2 years ago this month that the political elites were crowing about the "historic" Paris climate accord, signed by 174 countries, the first time the world had come together to save the Earth, concerted action, CO2 emissions finally defeated, oil companies driven into perdition, the polar bears saved and world rescued from imminent disaster.

Of course, a few curmudgeons (environmentalists among them) pointed out that an agreement that let China and India spew out as much CO2 as they wanted for the next 20 years didn't exactly fit with the rhetoric.

Others, more politically savvy, pointed out that if the Paris accord were so historic and successful, where were they going to go next year for their jamboree? Poor old di Caprio would have to leave his private jet in the hangar.

So, now we have the resurrection of the 'crisis'. Having won the battle against climate change 2 years ago, we have now lost it again. More action needed! More conferences! More hyperbole and media headlines!

What has probably happened is that some staffer in an NGO -- the Maryknoll Sisters, perhaps, or the Bianca Jagger Foundation --- has been reading essays by H.L. Mencken, and slipped a memo to Macron. Mencken put it this way:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

52 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Obviously, nothing can be done when mother nature steps in and starts pumping C02 in our atmosphere....part of a geological balance perhaps ?

But we can humbly help our planet with harsher enforcement and regulation against factories, their waste disposal or emissions, stop closing our eyes on the cargo ships, ferries or oil tankers that destroy our seas, as one single cargo route from the east to the west, pollutes more then over a million automobiles in one year...and 16 ships produce more atmospheric poison, then all the cars in the world.

On the other hand the green warriors orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting, but what alternatives on efficient 24/7 public transport are offered ?

To much money is involved, either to innovate or renovate...

I kind of agree with most of what you posted, but why say, "On the other hand the green warriors get orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting, but what alternatives on efficient 24/7 public transport are offered ??

If some folks are more careful (than others) with how they use internal combustion machines, no need to denigrate them.  Different people act different ways to show their environmentalism.  Personally, I try to lessen my pollution footprint (for lack of a better term).  I wash clothes using cold water and hang them out in the sun to dry.  If there's no sun, I hang them indoors (takes 2 days to dry, instead of 1/2 day outside).  I use motorbike or bicycle when I don't have to use a p.u. truck.  I only fly on planes when I have to - in contrast to Trumpsters who fly jets every which way for the dumbest reasons (to show up at a ball game in order to walk out 5 minutes later, which entailed a r-t flight on an expensive jet for several dozen people).    I just spoke with a Swiss friend who flew r-t to Switzerland from Thailand, stayed less than 24 hrs in Switzerland, just to sign one piece of paper relating to insurance on an addition he's building on a house.  Can't people figure a way to deal with that electronically?   

I've been called a lot of things, but never a 'green warrior.'  .....and I don't think I ever 'got orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting,'   

Observer, what's in the pipe you're smoking?

I've been orgasmic at times, but not about the stuff you're on about.  Maybe I'm therefore not a 'Green Warrior.'  Darn.

13 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

But less than The Joker.

It was only 2 years ago this month that the political elites were crowing about the "historic" Paris climate accord, signed by 174 countries, the first time the world had come together to save the Earth, concerted action, CO2 emissions finally defeated, oil companies driven into perdition, the polar bears saved and world rescued from imminent disaster.

Of course, a few curmudgeons (environmentalists among them) pointed out that an agreement that let China and India spew out as much CO2 as they wanted for the next 20 years didn't exactly fit with the rhetoric.

Others, more politically savvy, pointed out that if the Paris accord were so historic and successful, where were they going to go next year for their jamboree? Poor old di Caprio would have to leave his private jet in the hangar.

So, now we have the resurrection of the 'crisis'. Having won the battle against climate change 2 years ago, we have now lost it again. More action needed! More conferences! More hyperbole and media headlines!

What has probably happened is that some staffer in an NGO -- the Maryknoll Sisters, perhaps, or the Bianca Jagger Foundation --- has been reading essays by H.L. Mencken, and slipped a memo to Macron. Mencken put it this way:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

No reasonable person said, "We won the battle against climate change 2 years ago"

Neither has anyone claimed, ".....CO2 emissions finally defeated, oil companies driven into perdition, the polar bears saved....."  

Except Bradford and perhaps some other deniers.

Rick, here's some unsolicited advice:  Don't go and try to make a living as a writer of fictional drama, unless you want your audience to be only anti-science shrill Trump fans.  

8 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I kind of agree with most of what you posted, but why say, "On the other hand the green warriors get orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting, but what alternatives on efficient 24/7 public transport are offered ??

If some folks are more careful (than others) with how they use internal combustion machines, no need to denigrate them.  Different people act different ways to show their environmentalism.  Personally, I try to lessen my pollution footprint (for lack of a better term).  I wash clothes using cold water and hang them out in the sun to dry.  If there's no sun, I hang them indoors (takes 2 days to dry, instead of 1/2 day outside).  I use motorbike or bicycle when I don't have to use a p.u. truck.  I only fly on planes when I have to - in contrast to Trumpsters who fly jets every which way for the dumbest reasons (to show up at a ball game in order to walk out 5 minutes later, which entailed a r-t flight on an expensive jet for several dozen people).    I just spoke with a Swiss friend who flew r-t to Switzerland from Thailand, stayed less than 24 hrs in Switzerland, just to sign one piece of paper relating to insurance on an addition he's building on a house.  Can't people figure a way to deal with that electronically?   

I've been called a lot of things, but never a 'green warrior.'  .....and I don't think I ever 'got orgasmic to stigmatize the commoner, his car and his commuting,'   

Observer, what's in the pipe you're smoking?

I've been orgasmic at times, but not about the stuff you're on about.  Maybe I'm therefore not a 'Green Warrior.'  Darn.

hum....looks that I unleashed the green warrior rooted deep in you ! :cheesy:...I was not denigrating individuals but rather large scale environmental groups.

The point that is annoying is that regulations worldwide pick on the daily commuter. Environmental groups (the green warriors IMHO) whine to boycott cars in certain areas, influence governance on establishing various laws, taxes regulations that just hassle the commoner and his car, his gas, his tolls, public parking space  but neglect to strike on the points I cited in post no 17, who are some of the high scale global polluters. I am sure a smart and green brain in your distinguished person has somewhat understood my point, without agreeing !!! 

As for the contents of my pipe that you mentioned, it could be anything,  but not an e-vap as it is illegal in Thailand !

Thanks for your reaction and have a nice evening.

By the way, there is no 'winning the war against climate change.'  Only deniers plop that silly idea into the discussion.  Any reasonable person, who cares about the well-being of people and other species on our one planet, will tell you, we want to lessen the damage being done.

if deniers can't understand that, then here's a comparison.  There are liberals in the world, who are concerned about heavy blankets of smog which affect every large city worldwide.  No liberals expect to eradicate it.  Yet, they don't throw up their hands, and say, "It's such a problem, that it's silly to try to do anything to lessen smog."

No, instead, they educate their kids, and try to get them to understand the causes of smog, and how it can be lessened.  One step at a time.  

And yes, smog is a part of the CC issue.  Smog is pollution + CO2 and other chemicals that cause problems for humans in cities.   In China, for example, a high % of little kids wear glasses.  They don't do it as a fashion statement.  The do it because their eyes aren't as healthy as they would be in a clean environment.  New Delhi is having mega problems with smog.  Those 2 examples are just a tiny fraction of the ww problem.  Smog mostly comes from fossil fuels + internal combustion engines.   Connect the dots.

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

hum....looks that I unleashed the green warrior rooted deep in you ! :cheesy:...I was not denigrating individuals but rather large scale environmental groups.

The point that is annoying is that regulations worldwide pick on the daily commuter. Environmental groups (the green warriors IMHO) whine to boycott cars in certain areas, influence governance on establishing various laws, taxes regulations that just hassle the commoner and his car, his gas, his tolls, public parking space  but neglect to strike on the points I cited in post no 17, who are some of the high scale global polluters. I am sure a smart and green brain in your distinguished person has somewhat understood my point, without agreeing !!! 

I haven't heard of boycotting cars, but have heard of getting rid of motorbikes in China.

California is striving to eliminate fossil fuel cars in the near future.  Is that what you're referencing?

10 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I haven't heard of boycotting cars, but have heard of getting rid of motorbikes in China.

California is striving to eliminate fossil fuel cars in the near future.  Is that what you're referencing?

No.

Certain resorts in Europe, have totally banned cars. Certain public space shopping blocks in metros have met with similar fate. Not to mention certain large cities who have established or plan to establish exorbitant toll fees just to enter within city limits, under pressure of Environmental Groups. But the goal is a fail as the measures were supported ironically by Automobile Associations and governance purely to fight congestion, fill up public coffers and ended up with congestion (and pollution) only amongst those who can afford it.

Edited by observer90210

In China, for example, a high % of little kids wear glasses.  They don't do it as a fashion statement.  The do it because their eyes aren't as healthy as they would be in a clean environment. 

This is arrant bullshit. Why are myopia rates among Chinese Singaporean and Taiwanese children much higher than in China? And, incidentally, much lower among Malay Singaporeans. See:

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2085125/chinas-myopia-epidemic-why-simple-solution-being

Just stick to just calling people "deniers", that's what you do best.

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

No. Certain resorts in Europe, have totally banned cars. Certain public space shopping blocks in metros have met with similar fate.

Sounds cool.  

I wish they would do some of that in Thailand - particularly at fairs, where people are milling about.  There's a Burmese border town I go to, and there are 2 large daily markets.  Shopping requires constant vigilance, as motorbikes go racing through the narrow passages with no warning.  Annoying and dangerous.

Bangkok which, as we know, has some of the worst gridlock in the world, could adopt the European idea of even numbered licensed vehicles on even days, and odd with odd.  But not likely to happen.   

Another study published in 2008, which focused on young, ethnic Chinese students in Singapore and Sydney, suggests more time outdoors in the sun might help.

Students surveyed in both countries spent similar amounts of time studying. But 29 percent of the Singaporean students had myopia compared with just 3 percent in Sydney.

"The big difference was the Chinese children in Australia were outdoors a lot more than their matched peers in Singapore," says Ian Morgan, a retired biologist at Australian National University, who coauthored the 2008 study. "This was the only thing that fit with the huge difference in prevalence."

Morgan thinks sunlight may stimulate the release of dopamine from the retina and inhibit the elongation of the eye that results in myopia.

source: npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/02/05/383765377/why-is-nearsightedness-skyrocketing-among-chinese-youth

Boomer responds: Most Chinese kids in cities don't know that the sky is blue, because they have rarely, if ever, seen a blue sky.   Smog blocks sun.  With less sun, eye problems develop in kids (maybe also adults).

I notice Bradford only took issue with one little part of my missive.  Does that mean he agrees with the many other things I mentioned?  Probably not.  More likely, he can't counter with anything scientifically solid.

Most Chinese kids in cities don't know that the sky is blue, because they have rarely, if ever, seen a blue sky.   Smog blocks sun .

Are you really not understanding this? I don't mean to be rude when I say that, but the whole point of the article is that Singapore and Taiwan are broadly free of smog and yet their eye problems are much worse than China's. It is the lifestyle, not the pollution, that is principally to blame.

I thought the article made that fairly clear.

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

So, are you saying to Macron and everyone else:  'it's happening no matter what, so there's no need to do anything - except try to get comfortable.' ?  .....maybe your solution is to move to  higher elevation, and buy more air conditioners.  If you've got enough money, yea, not difficult.  But if you're like a third of the world's population, you don't have enough money to even put enough rice on the table for your family.

Macron sounds like a leader who sees a looming and dire issue and tries to find ways to lessen the impact.  That's a stark contrast to Trump, who doesn't want to see it as dire, who doesn't want to accept what scientists tell him because it's counter to what he wants to believe.  Trump worships money.  His buddies in the fossil fuel industries may make a bit less than the tens of millions/year individually that they're accustomed to. So naturally, Trump is doing all he can to protect his rich friends and himself also.

Mate seen the movie - Elysium,that's the future,look at the reports that come in everyday,it is now [climate change] on it's own course,unless we go back to the middle ages ,so no cars,electric,fridges,no planes ,ships with sails,no computers,no air con,no medical care,no nothing,yes maybe we can slow it down,do you want to live that way?

i do not and niether do most,the truth is the poor don't matter and the rich don't care,we are now at or almost at the pinnacle of Human existance,never have so many had it so good,but you can't take out more than you put in like your bank account,and we are way into the red.I am not saying we should not try,but the evidence says that whatever we do unless it is as i have outlined,the fact of the matter is no one in the world would ever agree to such terms,mate i don't know your age,i am 53,i may see some of this but once humanity reaches the peak,it's gonna be a long slide down the other side probably to extinction,the Earth don't care,it will go on,without the little parasites called Humans it shook off,and in 5,000 years there maybe some crumbling ruins left,but not much else,apart from the habitat in orbit that houses the rich 1%.

12 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Are you really not understanding this? I don't mean to be rude when I say that, but the whole point of the article is that Singapore and Taiwan are broadly free of smog and yet their eye problems are much worse than China's. It is the lifestyle, not the pollution, that is principally to blame. I thought the article made that fairly clear.

Maybe you forgot, but I started my missive by mentioning cities worldwide. I then went to focus on Chinese cities being pollution-plagued.  The Singapore situation, mentioned in the article, focuses on Chinese residents there.  Taiwan is obviously Chinese people.  What's the problem?

So, you're putting all your chips on a finding in one article.  It's odd, because there are thousands of scientific articles about CC which you don't like.  Cherry picking, are you?

10 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Mate seen the movie - Elysium,that's the future,look at the reports that come in everyday,it is now [climate change] on it's own course,unless we go back to the middle ages ,so no cars,electric,fridges,no planes ,ships with sails,no computers,no air con,no medical care,no nothing,yes maybe we can slow it down,do you want to live that way?

i do not and niether do most,the truth is the poor don't matter and the rich don't care,we are now at or almost at the pinnacle of Human existance,never have so many had it so good,but you can't take out more than you put in like your bank account,and we are way into the red.I am not saying we should not try,but the evidence says that whatever we do unless it is as i have outlined,the fact of the matter is no one in the world would ever agree to such terms,mate i don't know your age,i am 53,i may see some of this but once humanity reaches the peak,it's gonna be a long slide down the other side probably to extinction,the Earth don't care,it will go on,without the little parasites called Humans it shook off,and in 5,000 years there maybe some crumbling ruins left,but not much else,apart from the habitat in orbit that houses the rich 1%.

Dude (you call me 'mate', so I can call you 'dude'?), it's a bit difficult to read your text.  I think I agree with it.  Allow me to mention a couple things about grammar:  I suggest you put a space after a comma.  Also, break it into 2 or 3 paragraphs, it makes it more decipherable.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, hhinhh said:

Got it!

If Macron is so convinced that doom is imminent, why is he not doing more about it? He does not need world approval to eg ban private cars in France. There is much he could do in France alone, but all he does is talk and talk and ................................