Australian arrested on drugs charges in Cambodia

geovalin

Lindsay Murdoch

Bangkok: Police have arrested a 72 year-old retired Australian man after he was allegedly caught with drugs in the southern riverside Cambodian town of Kampot. 

Gary Robert Knowles, from Canberra, faces years in Cambodia's notoriously harsh jails if convicted of drugs charges.

An image of Gary Robert Knowles, from Canberra, caught in a drug bust in Cambodia. An image of Gary Robert Knowles, from Canberra, caught in a drug bust in Cambodia. Photo: Cambodian Police

Police said they discovered nine boxes of ecstasy and other drugs in a raid on a rented house in the town on Friday.

Police also arrested a 28 year-old Cambodian women identified as Meas Phary. 

read more http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-arrested-on-drugs-charges-in-cambodia-20171216-h05uri.html

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

a man of his age and experience should know better, not a good example for any youngsters. no sympathy for him, throw the key away.

Think maybe you could have little bit of empathy for him ? Everyone does things they regret only he will pay or with his life ? I do understand your stand if you have been directly effected by drugs.....love, peace and happiness !

I enjoy taking drugs when back in the UK, but not worthwhile in Asia.

I have nothing against drugs, or drug dealers.

(Just like I have nothing against alcohol or bar owners)

But risking a 3rd world jail seems foolish.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Think maybe you could have little bit of empathy for him ? Everyone does things they regret only he will pay or with his life ? I do understand your stand if you have been directly effected by drugs.....love, peace and happiness !

i hear what your saying but if you reach the age of 72 you should know better than to do drug trafficking in Asia. he knew the risks now let him get on with it.

12 hours ago, bleble said:

What is your problem with drug users ? Just that you know nothing ? So ridiculous. Wish you the worst, in jail if possible also.

A:   Uh, they use (illegal) drugs, and by being part of the culture and the industry, are part of a global scourge that murders and brutalizes tens of thousands (Mexican govt reports more than 164,000 murders between 2007 and 2014 in Mexico ALONE!).   And THIS particular moron had enough other stuff seized to more than suggest that he was NOT MERELY a user.   

I'm sure the fellow you responded to is just scared shirtless by your best wishes.   LOL   (But my money, and certainly my hopes, are actually on you...   Maybe you could take your next holiday in Cambo & join him?)

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

A:   Uh, they use (illegal) drugs, and by being part of the culture and the industry, are part of a global scourge that murders and brutalizes tens of thousands (Mexican govt reports more than 164,000 murders between 2007 and 2014 in Mexico ALONE!).   And THIS particular moron had enough other stuff seized to more than suggest that he was NOT MERELY a user.   

The global scourge is caused by governments making arbitrary laws to repress their populations enjoyment and leisure activities.

If drugs were legal, there wouldn't be any cartel murders of violence, it would just be another business.

Don't blame drug users/dealers, blame your government.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

14 hours ago, bleble said:

What is your problem with drug users ? Just that you know nothing ? So ridiculous. Wish you the worst, in jail if possible also.

he chose his path ....  and it's the wrong path. IMO.     Drugs are a scourge on the taker & society in general.  I find it disgusting that in Australia they provide needle boxes / sharps containers in parks and toilets,  and have shops specially for addicts to shoot up ...  absolutely crazy,   that's like giving addicted gamblers more poker machine rooms to feed their habit. Instead of being so soft, maybe penalties should have been alot tougher and them druggies would think twice about taking it.

17 hours ago, bleble said:

Wow... why does this comment offent you? Are you personally "experienced"?

All drug users are (at least) somehow related to all sorts of crime related activities!

Let me say so: I personally like how Duterte (for example) mangage to "sort the things out". 

No pitty & no mercy ever!!!