Superstition abounds after ‘ancient’ pot found in Surin

webfact

Superstition abounds after ‘ancient’ pot found in Surin

By Wijit Chunhakijkajorn 
The Nation

98a64ce0eaec1e335a07b5cc0f4ceced.jpeg

A man has returned a coloured stone he found at an excavation site in Surin’s Khwao Sinarin district after having a “weird” dream.

“In the dream, he heard the voice of several people coming into his house and calling his name,” Thongbor Sukton, 62, said on Tuesday about his unidentified son’s decision to return the coloured stone. 

f4b8b0cc04a95ecc794a1aec1d8f7171.jpeg

Thongbor said her son had gone to the excavation site after hearing from neighbours that a backhoe had hit a pot described as ancient containing bones while excavating soil from a plot of land, locally known as Ta Sang Ak, for landfill to be deposited elsewhere.

Local residents have said there must be valuables at the site and Thongbor’s son was among the crowd rummaging through the area. 

Another resident, Sa-nguan Pan-ampan, 51, said her great grandfather had instructed her to not dig in the area.

“I have long heard about mysteries regarding this area, like a woman wearing white walking out of a termite hill,” she said. 

Residents sometimes stage traditional dances appealing to sacred beings to pray for lucky numbers in the area. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334829

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-27

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Local residents have said there must be valuables at the site and Thongbor’s son was among the crowd rummaging through the area. 

This is the key to this story and why somebody has got it into the news.

If they tell the locals to stop raiding archaeological or other digging sites, it will just encourage them. Tell a ghost story and they stop. Surin is Scooby Doo Land.

Reminds me of the Lauda Air crash. All the luggage was looted from the crash site along with two-thirds of the metal for scrap all with the enthusiastic participation of the local police.

Edited by Briggsy

On my last trip to Thailand, I was walking along a river bank taking pictures of what ever took my interest.  I found a ball like thing that, judging from the condition, someone else had found before I did and had broken it open. 

I was poking in the debris inside the ball like object with a stick, when I realized one object I was looking at part of a skull.  Then I recognized other parts of bones.  I realized the contents were the remains of a cremation. 

It spooked me a little bit.