Work in morgues for drink-driving convicts under parole

webfact

Work in morgues for drink-driving convicts under parole

By Thai PBS

morgue1.jpg

The Probation Department will send people who are found by the court of drink-driving and released under parole to perform penance in morgues with hospital staff to let them see for themselves people who were killed as a result of road accidents which are partly caused by drink-driving, said department director-general Prasarn Manaleetrakul on Dec 26.

Mr Prasarn said this is parts of the measures to be taken in a campaign to reduce road accidents during the New Year festival.

Apart from sending drink-driving convicts under parole to work in morgues, the department will also send volunteers under parole to perform social work such as cleaning and levelling roads and removing objects which may cause accidents from traffic surfaces.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/work-morgues-drink-driving-convicts-parole/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-27

I understand the retraining of those convicted of making illegal guns. It made sense and could help turn their lives around. 

This though is just nonsensical and seems more more of a pr stunt, rather than a legitimate attempt to solve a problem. 

Didn’t they suggest the same thing last year as well?

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

[snipped]   Didn’t they suggest the same thing last year as well?

I'm not sure if it was last year, or further back.

The junta must assume the population have very short memories by re-introducing the same thing again.

Being cynical, will it last for perhaps a month until the New Year death figures are out of the headlines?

Even if it doesn't last very long, there's a decent chance the impression it'll make on parolees involved will last more than would parole alone, a fine or community service.

There are no numbers that'll reflect the efficacy of doing something like this. It's the right thing to do. Some decision maker involved here is using his/her head. Give them credit for once.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

This though is just nonsensical and seems more more of a pr stunt, rather than a legitimate attempt to solve a problem. 

Disagree.

The problem with drunk driving is that you don't really see the possible consequences of your actions, until someone pushes your face into some mangled up dead bodies (figuratively).

Plus they do some community service, which sounds like a much harder punishment than simply paying a fine and being done with it.

I hope they catch some people higher up the ladder in society who normally laugh at paying a few thousand baht and who can now make their hands dirty, in a good way, for a couple of hours.

6 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Disagree.

The problem with drunk driving is that you don't really see the possible consequences of your actions, until someone pushes your face into some mangled up dead bodies (figuratively).

Plus they do some community service, which sounds like a much harder punishment than simply paying a fine and being done with it.

I hope they catch some people higher up the ladder in society who normally laugh at paying a few thousand baht and who can now make their hands dirty, in a good way, for a couple of hours.

While I do see your point, I just don’t see it as doing anything that will change behaviour. Seems like a short term pr stunt to me. 

41 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

While I do see your point, I just don’t see it as doing anything that will change behaviour. Seems like a short term pr stunt to me. 

You probably don't believe in ghosts. I think it could work for Thai people. 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I understand the retraining of those convicted of making illegal guns. It made sense and could help turn their lives around. 

Didn’t they suggest the same thing last year as well?

The same last year.

3 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

A better place would bit the hospital where the injured are. At least they could talk to them. What are you going to learn from a dead person?

That you don't want to be dead because of some  <di*****d>'s driving,  and possibly, just possibly, make a decision to drive more responsibly.

If you haven't seen a mangled body, due to road trauma, It Is quite confronting, not just a body, dead from natural causes, but one that's really torn apart...a nasty and shocking experience.

Edited by F4UCorsair

6 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Disagree.

Didn't they make that Hiso Princess that killed a bunch of people on the Highway do her pennance in the Hospital Morgue, she complained about all the blood and they gave her smoothing different to do.

Edited by TunnelRat69