Seven-day road safety campaign kicks off

webfact

Thursday was the first of the 7 days and it has been reported that so far there has been a reduction in the road toll.

First day 2016: 524 accidents = 42 deaths, 565 injuries

First day 2017: 477 accidents = 41 deaths, 500 injuries

There were 2,008 road blocks set up and manned by over 80,000 police officers and there were over 80,000 arrests, the highest number arrested was for not being able to produce their drivers license, the second highest was motorbike riders not wearing helmets.

Over 80,000 police officers could have been used better out on the roads catching speeders, drunk drivers, careless drivers instead of just catching people who could not produce their drivers license at the time and motorbike riders not wearing helmets. No doubt that with these 2 offenses the police did not allow any of them to drive or ride away from the road block until they were legal to do so or was it a case of it is OK now you can drive your car without a license or ride your bike without a helmet.

Pathetic excuse for road safety

Edited by Russell17au
wrong date

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

94e7e73b1426281ae5768d6d5017cea4.jpeg&ke

Minister of Transport, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and he don't look exactly over the moon, but at least he can put a finger up to me - one of thousands, I'm sure, who forecast even worse than usual road carnage, this year. But, let's look at the figures:-

Day 1, this year claimed 41 deaths and 500 injuries in 477 road accidents – down, in comparison to Day 1, last year which claimed 42  lives and wounded 526 people in 524 accidents.

OK, only one less stiff to shift, but there were about 5% fewer injuries and a whacking 10% fewer accidents. That last figure must be worth celebrating, surely, but look and think again. If 10% fewer accidents resulted in the same - all bar one - number of deaths, then, by my reasoning at least, that's as good as saying that the typical accident, this year, had an 8.6% fatality likelihood, whereas last year, the figure was only 8%. The sad truth, hiding amongst those figures is that on day one this year, 7% more accidents involved fatality. Why is that, now?

Now, there's a stat for him to look serious about and it's from his department's figures. It has me puzzled.

Edited by Ossy
clarity

7 minutes ago, Ossy said:

94e7e73b1426281ae5768d6d5017cea4.jpeg&ke

Minister of Transport, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and he don't look exactly over the moon, but at least he can put a finger up to me - one of thousands, I'm sure, who forecast even worse than usual road carnage, this year. But, let's look at the figures:-

Day 1, this year claimed 41 deaths and 500 injuries in 477 road accidents – down, in comparison to Day 1, last year which claimed 42  lives and wounded 526 people in 524 accidents.

OK, only one less stiff to shift, but there were about 5% fewer injuries and a whacking 10% fewer accidents. That last figure must be worth celebrating, surely, but look and think again. If 10% fewer accidents resulted in the same - all bar one - number of deaths, then, by my reasoning at least, that's as good as saying that the typical accident, this year, had an 8.6% fatality likelihood, whereas last year, the figure was only 8%. The sad truth, hiding amongst those figures is that on day one this year, 7% more accidents involved fatality. Why is that, now?

Now, there's a stat for him to look serious about and it's from his department's figures. It has me puzzled.

The death rate is below the normal daily rate by up to 50%.

Injuries are no fully recorded for the rest of the year and by international standards all accidents are divided into 3 - fatal, serious injury and minor injury......

Thailand does none of that. They also don't provide VKT figures.

How many of those accidents did not involve a death at the scene but did involve a death either in the ambulance on the way to hospital or in hospital itself plus how many are still in hospital in a life threatening condition that can still die. These figures are not listed in Thailand. Yesterday a man that was injured in a situation where an idiot drove into pedestrians has died 9 days after the incident, he is still recorded as a road incident death but that is not happening in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

How many of those accidents did not involve a death at the scene but did involve a death either in the ambulance on the way to hospital or in hospital itself plus how many are still in hospital in a life threatening condition that can still die. These figures are not listed in Thailand. Yesterday a man that was injured in a situation where an idiot drove into pedestrians has died 9 days after the incident, he is still recorded as a road incident death but that is not happening in Thailand.

Road deaths are calculated within 30 days of the incident.....which means of course that they can rise next month.