Best Pho in BKK ?

jellydog

18 hours ago, toughlove said:

It's the quality of the beef that makes it
In the Vietnamese resteraunts In oz it was my favorite but don't bother with it here, not even close

I felt the same way in Vietnam. The beef was crap. However, I have not been there in 20 years, so that might have changed. Back then, it was trendy to use packaged noodles. Hopefully, they have returned to home made.

This topic has come up quite a few times here over the years, and I'm not sure there have been any unanimous recommendations? There are a fair amount of decent Vietnamese restaurants in Thailand, owing to immigration, but Pho is a specialty and any "Pho Phreak" may be disappointed. 

Maybe better to focus on those noodle dishes (wet and dry) unique to Thailand, thereby expanding the friend's experiences, then jet off to HAN or SGN for a Pho tour?

My No. 1 recommendation for similar Thai noodle soups would be Beef Noodle at Watthana Panich (Sukhumvit Soi 49). Then maybe Neur Koo (Siam Paragon Fl. 4).

There is a stall in the Siam Paragon pre-paid food court that specializes is a 3/4 Vietnamese dishes incl. Pho, I've had it a few times and thought it was pretty decent.

Edited by mtls2005

11 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I felt the same way in Vietnam. The beef was crap. However, I have not been there in 20 years, so that might have changed. Back then, it was trendy to use packaged noodles. Hopefully, they have returned to home made.

Australia is regularly exporting a lot of beef cattle to VN and taught them how to feed and slaughter them (their actions are monitored). Consequently, the beef is often pretty good, with some exceptions. 

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Australia is regularly exporting a lot of beef cattle to VN and taught them how to feed and slaughter them (their actions are monitored). Consequently, the beef is often pretty good, with some exceptions. 

yeah...the beef in VN with pho bo has been of good quality everywhere...thinly sliced and cooked in the broth for a minute or two...sorta like a japanese nabe...

seems to me that the VN pho vendors take a lot of pride in their product and it wouldn't do to have a splendid broth and then to f*** it up with shitty meat...

when I was there in August we had a number of 'cook - at - yer - table hot pot' type meals and the beef was really nice...ah yes, river side at Dong Hoi in Quang Binh (now with a nearby UNESCO world heritage site) with loads of bier Hanoi...dinner for 5, beef, pork and seafood about USD30...