Who has done the Bangkok to Pattaya trip?

Hal65

At 92 miles according to Google Maps, and 16 mph average on my fixed gear, it'll take just under 6 hours to get there. Have you guys found that to be accurate? If so I'll need a few pit stops. I'm fit from running but as a new cycler my body needs time to strengthen the cycling muscles. Even then I'm not sure that 6 hours of riding is easier than a 1.5 hour jog, seems like a lot of conditioning is needed for this trek.

Exactly where in Bangkok are you going from? If you take the old Sukhumvit road, the one nearest the sea, you will share that with many large vehicles that do not have permission to use the expressway, and the stench from the marshland by the sea is pungent in many places. I found it to be a very unpleasant experience on the whole. Once you get to Chonburi it becomes much better but prior to that its not pleasant at all. You can take a longer route more inland but that can be very awkward in places by bicycle. I would get the bus to Chonburi, put your bike in the back and cycle from there. It's much more pleasant.

It's pretty nasty between Chonburi and BKK. You can cycle north of the city easily enough but heading to Pattaya or Hua Hin is quite unpleasant. Cycling from Pattaya to Sattahip is quite alright but entering BKK on a bicycle is not so. 

To answer your specific question -- if you have to ask, you can't do it!

92 miles on a fixed gear bike is a huge, hard ride even for an experienced cyclist.

Why don't you see how long it takes you to do a 40-50 mile ride and then figure more than double.

Sukumwit road is hell it's whole length. Route 304 (suwinthawong road) is under construction in several spots between bangkok & chachoengsao. Best to avoid both (though once you get past chachoengsao route 304 is ok).

Below is a recent ride from Eastern Bangkok down to Rayong. It avoids the 304 construction and gets you into chachoengsao and headed south towards Pattaya. I did several rides to Pattaya but a few years back--I'll need to dig out of archives and post here. You should be able use those to figure out a route into Pattaya.

It's a long hard slog because of the 304 construction. Averaging 25km/hr isn't impossible but I'd never try that much of a ride at that avg speed on a fixie (or even a mountain bike). There are some semi-steep hills between Bangkok and Pattaya (conveniently near the end of the ride) plus the wind is going eat your soul or try to murder you.

There's always something everywhere in thailand, I wouldn't be discouraged traveling in rural areas.

Strava almost chanthaburi ride

Edited by coldfusionPaul
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I did this ride back in 1999 riding from Sukhumvit Soi 10 to Central Pattaya just off Beach Road.  I took mostly rural paved roads riding my Giant MTB.  The only difficulty I had was crossing a few larger rivers near the Chonburi Motorway.  I also was running quite a bit at the time but I also rode my MTB a lot as well.  I also rode with a friend once from Ekkamai out to Rayong on road bikes.  We did around 200km.