Birthday gift - suggestions please

Wermland

It wasn't her birthday, and she's not my girlfriend (working on it), but I brought her 2kg of oranges and she was so happy because I noticed she loves oranges. This girl doesn't wear gold/jewelry/perfume/designer cloths or purse so none of those would make her happy.

Just saying-if you don't know your girlfriend well enough after a year of being together, how do you expect to get any good advice from a form of people that don't know you nor the girl??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

My girl loves gold.. sure, she likes to wear it on special occasions.. lots of gold ..big face.. but the main reason she likes it is because it is a form of saving money.. if she needed money in a hurry she would just take it down to the gold shop and sell it or take it to a pawn shop and collect it later.. it is an old habit and seems to work for her and her family.   Blenders and things for the house don't make it.. 'it is for the house.. not me..'..  A dinner out with family and a birthday cake is always a winner..     Buying gold.. 1/4 bhat doesn't do it.. 1/2 is acceptable.. 1 bhat is for true love and wishful thinking... 

As a form of saving money is a good way to look at it from the girls point of view. I ended up with the opposite, the Mrs will be lucky to put on a dash of make up lol.

I think a lot of face ends up in people's own imaginations rather than actually achieving the desired outcomes if that makes sense. 

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Just my opinion,  based on 1 year,  is gold or cash.  Based on time frame not too big the bigger the bigger the expectation since one year isn't much to based a relationship since you aren't here full time?  To Thais gold is the same as cash, anything brand name is just that today popular tomorrow not! 

It should be a porsche cayenne turbo..... 

my experience is that thais culturally tend not to give each other birthday presents, school/university friends aside. however it is also my experience that thais dating foreigners often 'expect' a birthday present.

i'm a keen photographer and to be honest the best received birthday gifts have given have been photos of the gf and myself in a decent frame. add a meal at a decent restaurant or trip to a resort if you want to make more effort.

giving gold seems a bit boring to be honest, but then i've never dated a money grabbing girl or dated a girl who expected to be financially rewarded for being my gf. if your gf is interested in the financial side of her relationship with you then you may have to give gold or similar 'expensive' gift. up to you as they say in these parts.

Edited by samsensam
clarity

Depends on your budget and how well you know her. Personally I would never buy gold. If you buy something cheaper the next time she'd probably be disappointed. 

For me, last time I took her to a studio to have our photo taken together. We chose a few pics we liked and framed them. It went down very well as there were lots of smiles and laughter aswell as a bit of romance too.

12 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think a lot of face ends up in people's own imaginations rather than actually achieving the desired outcomes if that makes sense. 

...I agree with that one.. delusional ego polish..   but in a culture that is so status conscious it helps  establish the pecking order...

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:14 AM, LukKrueng said:

It wasn't her birthday, and she's not my girlfriend (working on it), but I brought her 2kg of oranges and she was so happy because I noticed she loves oranges. This girl doesn't wear gold/jewelry/perfume/designer cloths or purse so none of those would make her happy.

Just saying-if you don't know your girlfriend well enough after a year of being together, how do you expect to get any good advice from a form of people that don't know you nor the girl??

Now there's a sensible gift. Oranges. Will also help in preventing your girlfriend from getting scurvy.

Don't know how serious the OP is with his girlfriend, but I don't think it requires a gift of gold at this stage.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, thailand49 said:

Just my opinion,  based on 1 year,  is gold or cash.  Based on time frame not too big the bigger the bigger the expectation since one year isn't much to based a relationship since you aren't here full time?  To Thais gold is the same as cash, anything brand name is just that today popular tomorrow not! 

Use some imagination!!!  I always opted for the hand made 4 meter cast net since we live on the bank of the Mekong River. I bought the net from her granny who always gave me a good discount, so I got out pretty cheap for 1,000 baht. Gold is a waste because as soon as the little lady needs some quick cash, off to the local pawn shop. As a sign of even greater love I gave her two well seasoned cane poles to use when her arms tired of casting the net. She loves me too much, sure.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, baansgr said:

Form of saving your money. Makes me sick to the stomach seeing the victims at the gold shops... What a joke seriously 

Gee, not sure who the joke is here.  I wonder why gold has been the preferred specie standard for the world for thousands of years

On 1/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, smotherb said:

Gee, not sure who the joke is here.  I wonder why gold has been the preferred specie standard for the world for thousands of years

It may have something to do with the total debt of the USA being almost $18 trillion, and people not trusting printed bits of paper.